Name this snake............

K_Jo said:
Oops. You're right again. How embarrassing. :blushing: Allow me to quickly edit post #36, so as to lessen the confusion factor for others.
Good move... and good timing. I don't think Dems has seen it yet.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
kwillia said:
Good move... and good timing. I don't think Dems has seen it yet.
Ooh, I didn't even think about Dems. Maybe Rack'm should delete this whole thread.

camily

Peace
MMDad said:
Of Mice and Men. Lenny (the "slow' guy) is petting the puppy and saying how much he likes soft things and accidentally breaks his neck. His friend is George who ultimately kills him is his friend. He kills him to save him from being killed by Curly I believe. It's like a mercy killing. Remember now???

MMDad

Lem Putt
camily said:
Of Mice and Men. Lenny (the "slow' guy) is petting the puppy and saying how much he likes soft things and accidentally breaks his neck. His friend is George who ultimately kills him is his friend. He kills him to save him from being killed by Curly I believe. It's like a mercy killing. Remember now???
I was thinking of Bugs Bunny! :roflmao:

I've never seen the movie, just read the book.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

camily

Peace
MMDad said:
I was thinking of Bugs Bunny! :roflmao:

I've never seen the movie, just read the book.
Yeah, I read the book first but for some reason was visualizing the movie. I forgot about Bugs Bunny! :lol:

Woodyspda

harleyrider said:
Be careful, it might be a young Northern Copperhead. :yikes: You need to look at the eyes. If the eyes are triangular versus round, it means it is poisonous. The round eyed snakes are harmless.

Northern Copperhead
(Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen)
This is one of the two venomous snake species in Maryland. The color is a rich, reddish, brown with a series of darker hourglass markings down its back. Its head is usually a bright copper color and its belly is pinkish. It seldom exceeds three feet in length. It has a single anal plate and keeled scales. This is the only Maryland snake that has dark dorsal markings which are narrow on the back and broad on the sides. Copperheads exist throughout the State in remote rocky, wooded areas where they feed on small rodents and other warm-blooded prey. Occasionally, they will feed on aquatic animals. Females give birth to approximately 12 live young which are 8-10 inches in length.

A friend of mine was bitten by a baby copperhead on New Years Day last year.... they never saw it but the doctor confirmed that only one fang pierced skin.... her leg swelled massively and she was out of commision for nearly 3 weeks.

Also, be aware that there are definitely copperheads here in SoMD... some friends of mine found a nest in their fenced in yard about 3 months ago in Town Creek.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
Sharon said:
Northern Water Snake?

That's what I would say. Corn snakes have wider bands. And water snakes do come in that color scheme, especially when they're young (darken with age).

Rack'm, how big was it?

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Looks like a copperhead to me.

P.S. There are no water moccasins around these parts. People confuse a common water snake for mocs all the time though.

Chain729

MysticalMom said:
P.S. There are no water moccasins around these parts. People confuse a common water snake for mocs all the time though.

:yeahthat: And then they argue with you about it and swear that's what it was; no matter how many ID's of mocs have been proven false, no matter how many experts or sources you sight, no matter what anyone- no matter credible- tells them otherwise, etc. :lmao:

Chain729

rack'm said:
It was about 3 feet long

IIRC, that's about right for full-grown, though considering how fast they grow, it's hard to tell. It'd have to be at least 18 months old, but "as they age" doesn't mean "become full grown," especially considering how long snakes live. :ohwell:

rack'm

Jaded
Chain729 said:
:yeahthat: And then they argue with you about it and swear that's what it was; no matter how many ID's of mocs have been proven false, no matter how many experts or sources you sight, no matter what anyone- no matter credible- tells them otherwise, etc. :lmao:

Sorry guys, but I've caught one of these.......

cottonmouth_5958.jpg

When I opened his mouth, he had a nice set of 1/2" fangs too. :shrug:

rack'm

Jaded
Chain729 said:
IIRC, that's about right for full-grown, though considering how fast they grow, it's hard to tell. It'd have to be at least 18 months old, but "as they age" doesn't mean "become full grown," especially considering how long snakes live. :ohwell:

I wasn't sure what kind of snake it was, but it was a cool looking snake non the less. :lol:

Chain729

rack'm said:
Sorry guys, but I've caught one of these.......

cottonmouth_5958.jpg

When I opened his mouth, he had a nice set of 1/2" fangs too. :shrug:

I didn't realize the pic was of a moc till I hit "reply with quote" and checked the link. Sure the one you caught wasn't a copperhead? I know I mistook the pic for one. All snakes can and will swim :shrug: