Need a Vet for Cat Chewing Her Hair Out

Tina2001aniT

I'm trying to help you...

Did you get my pm and did you give Dr. Darnell a call?

I can answer...
Meow Mix, wet at night and dry out all day.
Only a gas firelplace and only rarely.
This started with just the pulling out of hair like Octoberish, it has just recently gotten BAD, multiple open wounds, we took her to Solomons last month, it got better for like a week or two, but is now worse than ever.

Not sure what u are feeding your kitty, but I think maybe food allergies also, make sure that the food you are feeding is high quality, you don't have to spend a fortune on fancy food..... just read the labels

make sure that the first ingredient is not corn, many animals have problems with corn, even walmart brand offers a dry food where the first ingredient isn't corn.... look for a lamb and rice mixture.

oops just saw meow mix--- full of corn

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I can answer...
Meow Mix, wet at night and dry out all day.
Only a gas firelplace and only rarely.
This started with just the pulling out of hair like Octoberish, it has just recently gotten BAD, multiple open wounds, we took her to Solomons last month, it got better for like a week or two, but is now worse than ever.

I would specifically ask Solomons if they tested for thyroid problems and diabetes. If they did and they were negative, I'd go from there. Is she and in/out cat? Has something changed in the house that might have upset her? New animal? Is she eating well? Same amount or less? If she's eating normal for her, and has lost 2 pounds then I'd say she's got something else going on other than an allergy. Thyroid (most cats get the overactive problem) issues make a cat look dirty, their coats look horrible and they lose weight rapidly. Once diagnosed, the meds are very inexpensive and vets will give you a script to get it at WalMart, etc. and it is much cheaper than getting it from a vet. I had a cat that lived to be about 14 with hyperthyroidism.

After you have found out from vet that it's not thyroid issue or diabetes, and
IF you want to try to do things for her yourself, I'd start with a better food. Something grain free. EVO is good but it's costly. Petco carries a decent grain free food, Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance...just be sure to check the label because some "flavors" of his food are not grain free. They also sell grain free canned in the same brand. You don't have to leave dry out all day..just give it to her a couple of times a day..better for her and not as expensive.

I'd also get some fish oil capsules and squeeze one over her wet food once a day. That will help with dry skin.

Tina2001aniT

I would specifically ask Solomons if they tested for thyroid problems and diabetes. If they did and they were negative, I'd go from there. Is she and in/out cat? Has something changed in the house that might have upset her? New animal? Is she eating well? Same amount or less? If she's eating normal for her, and has lost 2 pounds then I'd say she's got something else going on other than an allergy. Thyroid (most cats get the overactive problem) issues make a cat look dirty, their coats look horrible and they lose weight rapidly. Once diagnosed, the meds are very inexpensive and vets will give you a script to get it at WalMart, etc. and it is much cheaper than getting it from a vet. I had a cat that lived to be about 14 with hyperthyroidism.

After you have found out from vet that it's not thyroid issue or diabetes, and
IF you want to try to do things for her yourself, I'd start with a better food. Something grain free. EVO is good but it's costly. Petco carries a decent grain free food, Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance...just be sure to check the label because some "flavors" of his food are not grain free. They also sell grain free canned in the same brand. You don't have to leave dry out all day..just give it to her a couple of times a day..better for her and not as expensive.

I'd also get some fish oil capsules and squeeze one over her wet food once a day. That will help with dry skin.

Thank you Catt for your help. I have made an appointment for this afternoon at Calvert Animal Hospital, which my mom very highly recommends. I am having her records faxed from Solomons. I will ask Dr. Brown if her records indicate those things being checked.
Thanks again.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Thank you Catt for your help. I have made an appointment for this afternoon at Calvert Animal Hospital, which my mom very highly recommends. I am having her records faxed from Solomons. I will ask Dr. Brown if her records indicate those things being checked.
Thanks again.

:yay: Hope they're able to help you out. Let me know how she makes out.

dmarc

My 18-year-old female has a similar problem. Changed diet to PROPLAN Turkey and Barley mix and she stopped chewing her rear haunches. Sounds like yours has developed a food allergy - typical in some older cats - Is yours siamese by chance?

Tina2001aniT

Hey Tina, how'd the vet visit go today?

Dr. Brown did a biopsy, looking for cancer....He didn't seem very optimistic...now we wait 5 days....:frown:
He said something about the skin being real thick where she was chewing (like maybe tumors) and the skin all around it being thin...

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Dr. Brown did a biopsy, looking for cancer....He didn't seem very optimistic...now we wait 5 days....:frown:
He said something about the skin being real thick where she was chewing (like maybe tumors) and the skin all around it being thin...

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I was wondering about that....the weight loss bothered me. Two pounds is a lot for a cat. I've lost my last 5 cats to cancer. :frown:

I'll be thinking good thoughts for your old friend. :huggy:

Tina2001aniT

I was wondering about that....the weight loss bothered me. Two pounds is a lot for a cat. I've lost my last 5 cats to cancer. :frown:

I'll be thinking good thoughts for your old friend. :huggy:

Thanks, I just don't want her to be in pain. She is a step-cat, she came with FCS, and as hard as he tries to pretend to be :bigwhoop:, this is gonna tear him up.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Thanks, I just don't want her to be in pain. She is a step-cat, she came with FCS, and as hard as he tries to pretend to be :bigwhoop:, this is gonna tear him up.

:huggy: