Need Advice: Broken Mower Deck

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

You would not believe the number of oyster dredges, dredge rigs with winches, crab pot winders, hydraulic power packs, hydraulic steering setups, net rollers, etc etc that we've built and rebuilt. Or ..maybe you would.

I would. Seeing some of your toys and that garage of yours and your knowledge shared here. You are definitely a self reliant fellow well versed in dealing with any issues presented.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
But did you do it with bailing wire and a set of Whitworth wrenches?

I've been known to improvise a bit when it comes to trail fixes...like this busted front radius arm that I welded back together with a Bud Light can, and my very poplar front suspension design (swidt?)

radius arm repair.jpg log 1.jpg Ice Breaker 2009 on trlr.jpg

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Suspension Engineering by Thor Heyerdahl and Adolphus Bush......

Has a solid ring to it..sounds impressive even..totally legit. ;-)

The beer can is duct taped to an 1-1/8" combination wrench that is inside that rectangular tubing to "splice" it together...the cable from the front winch is pulling it together. Took us a few beers to figger out how to make the combination wrench splice stay put...;-)

I've put that picture out on numerous 4x4 forums over the years and told them it was a "beer can weld". Got lotsa "wows" and no few "Bullcrap..how you do that?" posts in response. I told them that I was an explosives engineer (I was once) that I gathered up all the ingredients to make a trail version of Thermite, filled the beer can with it, pulled the two pieces of busted arm together and lit it with a cigarette. Voila!!

Many believed. I hope I'm not somehow responsible for anyone getting burned over the years... ;-p "hey..you kids..don't you try this..."

Last edited:
I told them that I was an explosives engineer (I was once) that I gathered up all the ingredients to make a trail version of Thermite, filled the beer can with it, pulled the two pieces of busted arm together and lit it with a cigarette. Voila!!

They did that on Big Bang Theory once trying to heat a lugnut. Burned down the van they were trying to fix. :yay:

Engineers. So smart yet so dumb.

black dog

Free America
Has a solid ring to it..sounds impressive even..totally legit. ;-)

The beer can is duct taped to an 1-1/8" combination wrench that is inside that rectangular tubing to "splice" it together...the cable from the front winch is pulling it together. Took us a few beers to figger out how to make the combination wrench splice stay put...;-)

I've put that picture out on numerous 4x4 forums over the years and told them it was a "beer can weld". Got lotsa "wows" and no few "Bullcrap..how you do that?" posts in response. I told them that I was an explosives engineer (I was once) that I gathered up all the ingredients to make a trail version of Thermite, filled the beer can with it, pulled the two pieces of busted arm together and lit it with a cigarette. Voila!!

Many believed. I hope I'm not somehow responsible for anyone getting burned over the years... ;-p "hey..you kids..don't you try this..."

Next time change it up to, I packed the beer can up with steel wool and and then poured in a jar of pickle juice and shortly we had a Exothermic Chemical Reaction and it welded itself together. Hell even Hoosiers could understand that.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Thank you all for the advice and inputs. Despite what one individual said, I am an "industrious kind of man" and most often fix things no problem; however, I do seek out information known that there are a lot of skill sets represented by the Forum members. So I can look at all options and go with the best suited one for the situation. The mower is fixed and all's good. I appreciate your taking the time to respond. It was helpful. Thanks.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Thank you all for the advice and inputs. Despite what one individual said, I am an "industrious kind of man" and most often fix things no problem; however, I do seek out information known that there are a lot of skill sets represented by the Forum members. So I can look at all options and go with the best suited one for the situation. The mower is fixed and all's good. I appreciate your taking the time to respond. It was helpful. Thanks.

Uh, yeah, sure. If you were truly and industrious kind of man, you would have looked at the problem, formulated a solution, and fixed that broken deck support right quickly. And then, if the fix was of a Popular Mechanics style, you would have posted pictures of your studious industriousness to share your super fix to help others who might have a similar issue. You ever see Gilligan on here asking for help like this? Nope. Because he is an prideful independent industrious fellow, that's why.

Hank

my war
If I may ...

Uh, yeah, sure. If you were truly and industrious kind of man, you would have looked at the problem, formulated a solution, and fixed that broken deck support right quickly. And then, if the fix was of a Popular Mechanics style, you would have posted pictures of your studious industriousness to share your super fix to help others who might have a similar issue. You ever see Gilligan on here asking for help like this? Nope. Because he is an prideful independent industrious fellow, that's why.

stfu