Netgate pfSense Firewalls

stgislander

PREMO Member
Does anyone have experience with Netgate w/pfSense firewalls? We have a SG-5100 that "failed" during the Breezeline update debacle two days ago.

I continuously reboots itself. It is possible that it is a software or firmware issue. I cannot get to the GUI, but I can access the firmware using the Console feature. The problem is I don't speak Unix/Linux so the interface is Greek to me. I attempted a factory reset using the button, but it reboots before the reset operation starts.

HemiHauler

Do you have output over the serial connection? Serial port speed on that device should be 115200 if I’m remembering.

When I used to manage a bunch of those devices, constant reboots were generally caused by power cycle events on a few devices that weren’t on UPS. The result is filesystem corruption. The fix is generally to boot into single user mode and run “fsck -y”

This link may have more details.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Do you have output over the serial connection? Serial port speed on that device should be 115200 if I’m remembering.

When I used to manage a bunch of those devices, constant reboots were generally caused by power cycle events on a few devices that weren’t on UPS. The result is filesystem corruption. The fix is generally to boot into single user mode and run “fsck -y”

This link may have more details.

Yes I do have serial access. Thanks for the link.

stgislander

PREMO Member
It's no longer rebooting, and I can see the pfSense menu on Console. I cannot get to the GUI yet, but it appears to have all the correct IP addresses set.