New Aldi in Brandywine

javajanie

I'm so excited! They just put up a sign for an Aldi in the new shopping center across from Costco. I love me some cheap groceries! Could do without another Auto Zone, but I'll let it slide this time since they are putting in an Aldi and a Chick Fil A. :yahoo:

Mama_Mia08

I'm so excited! They just put up a sign for an Aldi in the new shopping center across from Costco. I love me some cheap groceries! Could do without another Auto Zone, but I'll let it slide this time since they are putting in an Aldi and a Chick Fil A. :yahoo:

Where is brandywine? How far?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
What is an Aldi?

Aldi's is awesome! cheapo groceries..some kinda wacky stuff the brands arent really recognizable.....but pretty good for staples..you bring your own bags..and you "rent" out your cart for a quarter..helps keep costs down I guess..my grandma loves the place

In all seriousness all I know is that earliest roots of the company trace back to 1913, when the mother of Karl Albrecht and Theo Albrecht opened a small store in a suburb of Essen. Their father was employed as a miner and later as a baker’s assistant.

Karl Albrecht was born in 1920, Theo in 1922. Theo completed an apprenticeship in his mother’s store, while Karl worked in a delicatessen. Karl Albrecht took over a food shop formerly run by F. W. Judt who already advertised to be the "cheapest food source". Karl Albrecht also served in the German Army during World War II. After the end of World War II, the brothers took over their mother’s business (1946) and soon opened another retail outlet in the vicinity. By 1950, the Albrecht brothers already owned 13 stores in the Ruhr Valley. The brothers' idea, which was new at the time, was to subtract the legal maximum rebate of 3% before sale. The market leaders at the time, which often were co-operatives, required their customers to collect rebate stamps, and to send them at regular intervals to claim their money back. The Albrecht brothers also rigorously removed merchandise that did not sell from their shelves, and cut costs by not advertising, not selling fresh produce, and keeping the size of their retail outlets as small as possible.

Aldi's "strictly no frills" approach is evident for instance in that Aldi stores do not decorate aisles — or even fill shelves for that matter: pallets of the products (in cardboard boxes, shaped so customers can easily pick them up) on offer are parked alongside the aisles, and customers picking up products will gradually empty them (since ALDI charges for bags, the empty cardboard boxes are typically removed by customers and used as shopping/carrying bags). When all items on a pallet have been sold, it is replaced. Long lines at the checkout counter are also common, reflecting Aldi's minimal staffing levels, as well as the competitive situation in Aldi's native Germany, where long supermarket till queues are generally accepted as part of daily life.

Over 200 store managers in the United States are filing charges against unfair labor practices. They are claiming they were wrongly classified as exempt from overtime. The plaintiffs claim they did not spend most of their time managing, rather their time was spend stocking shelves, cleaning spills, and ringing out customers. Store managers do not have management responsibility including hiring, firing and promoting employees.

Hope that helps.

OldHillcrestGuy

And a Checkers.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Aldi's is awesome! cheapo groceries..some kinda wacky stuff the brands arent really recognizable.....but pretty good for staples..you bring your own bags..and you "rent" out your cart for a quarter..helps keep costs down I guess..my grandma loves the place

But you get your quarter back when you return the cart!

D

dems4me

And a liquor store :yahoo:. Great to have one on the southbound lanes of 301 for that commute home in the evening.

They do have a liquor store southbound on 301 :shrug: Its Frank Tippett Road and 301 :yay: :buddies:

Warren76

Although I've heard nothing but good things being said
about Aldi grocery here in this thread, Giant had a sign on the
corner of Chaddsford Drive and the southbound side of Rt. 5/301,
before I have read anything about Aldi coming to Brandywine. So,
I guess that Aldi grocery is in and Giant is out, eh?

OldHillcrestGuy

Although I've heard nothing but good things being said
about Aldi grocery here in this thread, Giant had a sign on the
corner of Chaddsford Drive and the southbound side of Rt. 5/301,
before I have read anything about Aldi coming to Brandywine. So,
I guess that Aldi grocery is in and Giant is out, eh?

That sign for Giant has been or more like was up for about 3 years, I noticed last week that its gone, they havent done anything other then clearing the land where it was going to be built, all the places being built now I dont think were going to be part of that shopping center. The Aldi doesnt look to be as big as a normal grocery store, Im guessing its the building going in behind the AutoZone and Chick Fil A. When the sign they erected was first put up with Aldi on it, it also had Checkers on it, since then the Checkers has been been removed from the sign, so Checkers may not be going in there.

mattvivslivesou

www.meerkatsound.com
There was an Aldi in Morgantown (WVU) and My Roommate & I went there once to grocery shop...

Their food made us :barf: after 3 days of eating it...

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
I have shopped at Aldi's for my canned foods to stock up and it does save a bit on the main staples as well as cereals and a few other items. No one was sick after three days of eating the food as mattviv encountered with his trip there.

Ren

Does anybody have the number to the Aldi in Brandywine? I am having trouble finding it online.