New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
Found it:
https://www.facebook.com/SmarterGrowthAllianceForCharlesCounty

I knew I saw it somewhere. Given how much attention was given to the proposal for La Plata, I wonder why more folks aren't paying attention to this one. Maybe it's not far enough along in the planning stages to garner attention? It seems like people should shoot this down now, rather than wait for it to get further along in the process. We need schools and roads, not another walmart.

Last edited:

JoeR

No actually, I'm talking about another one planned to go into north Waldorf. Current new location is slated to go right across the street from Pinefield center (I think that's what it's called) where Lefty's BBQ is. I'm not sure if this is a direct result of LaPlata shooting down their earlier proposal or not, but it is definitely not the same thing. I'll see if I can dig up anything on it.

Ok. Your right I haven't heard about this. Your right, might be in response to the LaPlata thing. I firured they would look somewhere else.

OldHillcrestGuy

Found it:
https://www.facebook.com/SmarterGrowthAllianceForCharlesCounty

I knew I saw it somewhere. Given how much attention was given to the proposal for La Plata, I wonder why more folks aren't paying attention to this one. Maybe it's not far enough along in the planning stages to garner attention? It seems like people should shoot this down now, rather than wait for it to get further along in the process. We need schools and roads, not another walmart.

I think the site that they are talking about for the Super Walmart is behind the Chaney Building. I don't really see a problem with it there. Theres a intersection there already with a light and the Western Parkway will be coming out behind the old Embassy Diary building. Better for Charles to get the tax benefit, then for Prince Georges. You know if they cant get it built anywhere in Charles, Walmart will just jump across the county line and build it somewhere between the county line and the 301/5 split. Wally World has lots of $$$$ they could easliy buy up that old horse farm just north of the county line, or give the folks who are the owners of the Curtis Farm (may still be the Curtis Family) an offer they cant refuse and buy up that huge piece of land.

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
I think the site that they are talking about for the Super Walmart is behind the Chaney Building. I don't really see a problem with it there. Theres a intersection there already with a light and the Western Parkway will be coming out behind the old Embassy Diary building. Better for Charles to get the tax benefit, then for Prince Georges. You know if they cant get it built anywhere in Charles, Walmart will just jump across the county line and build it somewhere between the county line and the 301/5 split. Wally World has lots of $$$$ they could easliy buy up that old horse farm just north of the county line, or give the folks who are the owners of the Curtis Farm (may still be the Curtis Family) an offer they cant refuse and buy up that huge piece of land.

All fine, except that now there will be even more traffic on that section of 301 than there is already, that it looks like the county is re-designing the road to accommodate them (ie, WE are paying for that) and the end result will be an empty building where the current walmart resides. There is a huge empty lot where that old go-cart track used to be next to the current walmart, I don't see why they can't just expand the existing one.

Not to mention Walmart has a real tendency to trash up any location it's in. The Waldorf Walmart was nice and clean when it first opened, but last time I was there (years ago) it was a real mess. Ditto with Laplata. Our walmart over here used to be very clean and well kept, and now it's dirty and run down inside too. Many of the carts are broken, the checkout lanes are a mess, there is crap in the isles, the shelves are dirty, etc. Walmart might have lots of money, but apparently they don't spend it keeping their stores up. Do you really want them to leave that building empty, build a nice shiny new one right off 301 that will have even more stuff for them not to maintain?

I don't live over that way, nor do I frequent that area, but I don't think it's a good idea. If Walmart took care of their properties/stores and brought in good business, then I could see a case for it. But they don't. I wish they would though..I could save some money by shopping there, but simply because I don't care for how they keep their retail space I shop at Target instead. Target doesn't have as many choices, and it costs more, but the stores are clean.

Last edited:

Urbanite

Disney through the grapevine I heard PaPa Johns was in the house lol, Heard it was going in Charlotte Hall Square next to True Value in the last vacant spot. If true that shopping center is going to be the food court of CH. Ive only had Papa's pizza a very few times it was good, I would rather had Little Ceasars.[/QUOTE

OMG PLEASE Disney say that's true... we just love Papa John's

wsmdfm

Saw a new store open up across from the Mechanicsville Post Office, it's a sports supplement, vitamin store. Looks like I can save my trips to Waldorf for my protein powder and creatine. It's called Gym Ratz Nutrition, John was very nice and informative

Disney4845

Commercial Guy
Wal Mart is looking behind the Chaney building but the Unions are fighting it just like they did in La Plata. There is not enough land to build on the current site in Waldorf.

Urbanite

Papa Johns and Sweet Frog are coming to Charlotte Hall Square. Verizon as well.

If this has been posted before, please excuse me, but just left True Value in Charlotte Hall and see that Papa John's has moved in right next to them , they said they will be opening soon, YESSSSS!!!!!!
And of course Sweet Frog is already open -

Tito

Donkey Smell
If this has been posted before, please excuse me, but just left True Value in Charlotte Hall and see that Papa John's has moved in right next to them , they said they will be opening soon, YESSSSS!!!!!!
And of course Sweet Frog is already open -

Perfect for all you st marys fatties! Congrats

CrashTest

Any new business going to take advantage of the new sidewalks on Great Mills Rd? There's an entire, boarded up, hardly used strip mall on GMR ready to move into.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Any new business going to take advantage of the new sidewalks on Great Mills Rd? There's an entire, boarded up, hardly used strip mall on GMR ready to move into.
LOL
A comedian in every crowd :)

Well pretty soon they will have to, they are going to run out of half empty strip centers on RT 235 in the development district which will leave GMR as the only option.
Given that most of the businesses are fast food or liquor stores, GMR should be just fine.

CrashTest

LOL
A comedian in every crowd :)

Well pretty soon they will have to, they are going to run out of half empty strip centers on RT 235 in the development district which will leave GMR as the only option.

Not so fast. At a minimum, the 2 new strip malls going up outside of WW will have to be filled before the boarded up strip mall on GMR sees any residents. Meanwhile, Rt4 and 235 is like a demolition derby.

ltown81

Despite the terrible traffic setup, I think the Kohl's shopping center is a good example of something in Lexington Park that was not all that nice being made useful. The thing about Great Mills road I think that bothers people is all the foot traffic. Meaning, plain and simple, there are always some pretty unfriendly looking people walking up and down the street, milling about. Doesn't make you want to park the car, and check out the local shops on foot like say Leonardtown. That is not as much an issue on the 235 corridor.

CrashTest

Despite the terrible traffic setup, I think the Kohl's shopping center is a good example of something in Lexington Park that was not all that nice being made useful. The thing about Great Mills road I think that bothers people is all the foot traffic. Meaning, plain and simple, there are always some pretty unfriendly looking people walking up and down the street, milling about. Doesn't make you want to park the car, and check out the local shops on foot like say Leonardtown. That is not as much an issue on the 235 corridor.

Perhaps the brainiacs in Leonardtown thought the "unfriendly" people would go away if new sidewalks were built.

ltown81

Perhaps the brainiacs in Leonardtown thought the "unfriendly" people would go away if new sidewalks were built.

The whole issue with the Great Mills Road corridor is it plain looks depressing and really there is not really any place to go if you have money to spend. Shopping at Big Lots, or Ollies? Dinner at whatever the Roost is now? Not to mention huge shuddered McKays shopping center, half a dozen trailer parks, rotting away gas station. It is the only place I have seen a Wawa not succeed. To be honest, there was a time where I went months without going south past Chancellor's run road because there was no reason to. However, replace a trailer park with decent retail (i.e. Kohls, Dicks, etc) and I am down that area a bit now.. I don't feel particularly unsafe on GMR, as I have lived and worked much worse places. There is just not anything shopping or services down there that are useful to me. If they had a Carabbas in St. Mary's Square, I would go.

The worst part is, it can be fixed. There used to be homeless sleeping in the square in Leonardtown. It just takes proper planning. The vibe you get about Lexington Park is that it is almost like "Every place has an area like this, and we are gonna let it stay there". Fixing it requires basically condemning and rebuilding large plots of land. Those people get displaced, and have to go somewhere (with public assistance). I have seen it done elsewhere in MD with great success, but the way things are run down here, it will never happen. They will get sidewalks.

most like someone said "every area has to have a place that looks like this, so here is ours".