New here

CarolG

Hi I'm new here. I have a beagle named Daisy who is the sweetest girl. In fact today is her birthday. She is 1. We got her last August. She is a big part of our family so much that after about a week of having her I couldn't imagine not having her. We also have two 10 yr old cats. Daisy loves to chase them but for the most part they get along pretty well. Daisy is so good with our kids and all the neighborhood children.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
We're thinking about getting a beagle pup for my 9-year-old son. We have a crazy black lab that's 10. She's a great dog, but I think every kid should have their own puppy to grow up with.

I've heard that beagles should have a fenced in yard (we don't) because they tend to follow their nose and wander off. But then, every beagle I was around growing up used to dig and get out under the fence. Have you had either of these happen?

CarolG

Mrs. Jones said:
We're thinking about getting a beagle pup for my 9-year-old son. We have a crazy black lab that's 10. She's a great dog, but I think every kid should have their own puppy to grow up with.

I've heard that beagles should have a fenced in yard (we don't) because they tend to follow their nose and wander off. But then, every beagle I was around growing up used to dig and get out under the fence. Have you had either of these happen?

We don't have a fenced yard we just put her out on a dog rope type thing. She is in more than she is out though. I am afraid to let her off the leash when we walk because I have also heard that they will run off and I have a feeling that is true. She will pick up a scent when were walking her and yelp and get so excited. I highly recommend a beagle for a kid. Their a great family dog too because they don't tend to favor one person.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
:howdy: Welcome, we have a LOT of dog lovers here. I work across the hall from a Carol G, but we're in Ltown. :howdy:

Yes beagles will run away given the chance. They are hunting dogs by nature
and as soon as they are off the leash and get a scent, its see ya later mom and dad I gotta go chase down this scent. They dont do it on purpose, they just cant help it. I have a beagle mix that is 12 years old and would still run off in pursuit of a smell or sight given the chance.