New Home Construction

watercolor

yeah yeah
Re: new construction/rain

Originally posted by harveston
seeded,etc. her property to be made habitable.

well not to sound rude... but has she checked what she wants against her contract? Not trying to be a butt- but we have run into quarrels with customers in regards to this type of stuff...of them thinking they are suppose to get something and it was never in there to begin with.. but just because another got it they 'suppose' it is part of the 'package'

Not saying it isnt in her contract..just asking.:smile:

SmallTown

Football season!
water, I haven't found a builder yet that doesn't have the clause in there saying you can't go on the propety during building, and that they do that for your protection. considering the way some builders are (read this thread, and others) it obvious the client's interests aren't always that important. They have legal concerns, yes. But they also don't want people coming up behind them saying what they have done wrong. If we had NOT gone to the site when we built there, we would have had MANY issues. 1) They didn't put in two windows in the back of house that were standard. Took 4 phone calls before the actually went back and put them in.
2) We went their one night when it had a roof, and the whole downstairs was flooded. A pipe had busted. The guy came that night to turn the water off.

If we had not "broken the law" and been there almost every night, it would have cost the builder major $$$ to go back later and put in the windows, and fix the rotten wood from flooding. And, if you don't go, you don't get to see wonderful things like jose peeing out of your dining room window (that one blew my mind)

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by PoliticalAnlyst

watercolor, please tell me who you work for so we can avoid them. If they're one of those guys who nickel dimes the customer to the letter of the law instead if bending a little to do a good job and have a happy customer, I want to steer clear. Also, does your employer know that you are speaking on their behalf or are you a free agent?

It's standard knowledge that the land & building are the property of the builder (unless YOU take out the construction loan I wonder?) until the deal closes.

A) yes...we do the loan for the people..so yes that answers your question. Also- most people dont have standard knowledge in this department during this timeframe for the simple aspect of them being excited that 'OMG Im GETTING A HOUSE.' and ' I wanna see it right now' gimmie gimmie gimmie syndrom.

B) I am speaking from my perspective, because I, being the one who draws the contracts- knows and see's it. It is plainly stated to keep both the consumer and the builder safe. I speak for my business because I know they do a good job and I know that we have had no complaints. NONE YET and hopfully *knocks on wood* none ever.

C) and no...we are one of the FEW that DONT nickle and dime our customers. We have set packages...and if there is something they want to add...simply stated they pay for it. They know this up front and we know this. So...therefore, saves alot more heartache on both ends.
We have bended quite a few times, and we also have going promotions that are 12 month promo's that if a customer expresses interest in certain things..we give them those items hands down.....because they are a norm for us to do...not to mention that we know what its like to be human and not have money growing in trees off of our front lawn. SUCH AS- Dishwashers and such...we are always giving free state of the art dishwashers...and other such things. Not looking for an applaud. Just an example

I dont see anywhere in my post that showed I was nickle and diming. Nor did it say anywhere that where I work was bad to steer clear. I was meerly stating that it is a LIABILITY and that is why they are to stay off until safe or unless accompanied by the foreman or builder. I maybe should have clarrified for certain people that he had no right to yell persay.. but he had the right to firmly tell them to stop it because there are reasons.

Last edited:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by SmallTown
If we had NOT gone to the site when we built there, we would have had MANY issues.

Same here, I wouldn't say 'many' issues but we definitely would have had some. They forgot to angle our garage doors the first time around, and also had our attic access panel in the wrong place. They accidentally poured our garage to be a side-load instead of front load, but that worked in our favor so we didn't gripe, lol!

P

pcteach

New Construction

[I think you and your neighbors need to get together and go a step further. Not just for punitive reasons, but to save the poor souls in the future. The State Attorney is the way to proceed.]

I had no idea this thread would go this far. I thank you, PoliticalAnlyst, for your time to give me this important web site. I WILL, get the neighbors together and I will not give in. This is my life long dream, and I will not let one builder ruin this for me. The State Attorney will the 1st of many steps I will take to make this all right. And, I will return, with a photo of my sign, as soon as I get it made up. Thank all of you for the help and understanding. Just make sure, if you are looking to build...research, research, research....don't be afraid to back out, if things turn bad.....

:thewave:

Gunn317

Wow, long thread. Well, well. I know where Aberdeen is off of Flat Iron Road and drive by there everyday. I've been down to the dirt cul-de-sac on that road too every so often (and have seen the delapidated dumptruck). And I've seen the mud everywhere (including the road) and the "recycled" asphalt boulder chunks for driveways. I thought most of the houses were still under construction...I'd hardly think that most of those houses were occupied as there are only a few that actually look "finished" and habitable.

And the funny thing is, is that I've seen even more houses come under construction, or grading being done on lots, etc...even though there are all these homes with cars in the driveways that aren't finished! I think that pwf said it best (and Yahooligan03 pointed out), that Mr. Jim has bitten off way more than he can chew. In all this threads enlightenment, I fail to see how he can continue to begin new construction when he has not finished the homes that are habitable in Aberdeen! I wonder if pcteach could make a call to Planning and Zoning and get some kind of "Stop Work" order issued to Jim's Custom Homes, until he finishes the homes he has started. That might make him get in contact with the homeowners like pcteach real quick-like. :wink:

And about the rain. Yea, we've had way more than our share since winter. But I remember just up until about three weeks ago when we had a couple (two exactly that I recall) of dryspells. One was when I was overseeding my lawn and had to dig out the sprinkler just so it wouldn't die. Then another time we had planted our garden and had to water it for about a week and a half before it finally started again.

I'm sure one of these times was when pcteach was parking in her "dry mud". If she could do that, then why not get a grader to finish the driveway and landscaping in a couple of day and be done with this mess!? That's probably all it would take and they'd be happy. But then I would think that the landscapers/excavators would have to start back to the homes that were finished first....and maybe she is not the first in line.

Someone else (can't remember who) put it right when they said once the builder gets the money, they run. Sounds like Jim can sure run fast...."serpentine, serpentine, they'll never catch me!" :razz2:

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Gunn317
Someone else (can't remember who) put it right when they said once the builder gets the money, they run. Sounds like Jim can sure run fast...."serpentine, serpentine, they'll never catch me!" :razz2:

That was me who said it. Been there, done that, got the lawn (mud bog) from hell and other problems to prove it. But I still have almost $10k of the money and will not give it to them until they come back and fix the problems. Jim Weaver was one of the homebuilders who was recommended to me by several people, but he was so busy it would have taken two years for him to even get to building our house so we went elsewhere.

I was on the job site every day, but I owned the land and were doing the construction loan and there was nothing in the contract saying I couldn't be there. I made sure a lot of things were done that they would have gotten away with if I HADN'T been on site, including using 2X4 construction when I had it in writing it was to be 2X6, not putting in the French doors, putting in a single front door when it specified one with sidelights, etc. I learned to speak up, loudly and forcefully, when I noticed things not right.

I have a copy of the contract I signed and am holding my builder to it. Throwing down some grass seed is NOT an acceptable yard when you can't even walk across it. Tile coming off the master bedroom shower is not acceptable. The builder is going to do the work as cheaply as possible to maximize his profit, so you need to keep banging away at them and make sure YOU are getting what you want. Also, the builder subcontracts out most if not all of the work and they have the same mentality.

One thing for sure. DO NOT BE COMPLACENT AND DO NOT BE A DOORMAT. Speak up and be the a$$hole in the ointment. You have to live with and pay for your home for a long time.

Last edited:
R

rmc

pcteach, Jim's homes should have a MHIC and MHBL through the state of MD. If he did this work for you, you should have copies of some of the county Building permits, etc. which should have his numbers on it. Report it to the state, The governing body's web site is:

http://www.dllr.state.md.us/license/occprof/homeim.html

There are complaint forms you can fill out and supposedly a fund set up for persons such as yourself to recoup your losses from paying someone to fix the screwups. I'd say to get estimates to correct your 30 day list, and present it to the license board. Let Mr. Jim know you're doing it as well, he'll probably be over to see you tomorrow, as he can't work very long without that license.

P

pcteach

New Construction

rmc....Thank you so much. I just went to that site. I am going to go through my papers and find that number. Then I will Call Mr. Jim and inform him of what I will do. I am going to call around and get some estimates, on getting the 30 day list completed. All of a sudden I am a busy person. I have so much to do, thanks to all the advice I have received. Maybe I can get the straight driveway to go into the side load garage fixed, so I can actually pull into my garage in one move, instead of 7, and without backing over the hill he made us. Thanks again....:duel:

P

pcteach

New Construction

rmc..........Sorry to say....nothing has changed a bit. I did get a registered letter from him, saying he has completed our 30 day list, (we have lived here now 120 days) which I sent back registered saying more than half of the list is not done. I have sent in a complaint to the Attorney General, and still waiting for that. I found about 2 more homeowners, who are also unhappy, and have major problems with there homes. Hopefully we can all get together and do something.

Gunn317

It's been another month...

Been another month since this was last discussed, and we've had a couple weeks of hot and dry weather...any progress??? :question:

P

pcteach

New Construction

Nothing yet!!! Yes, it has been dry, and the sun is hot, and nothing is happening. We have lived here now, 6 months, and still no driveway or yard. We still have dirt to look at, in our front yard, (if you want to call it a yard). But, he is still building other houses, and they are working like crazy on them. Just be warned...."Don't buy any home from Jim's Custom Homes"....unless you want lots of trouble.....

joeyinlexpark

Back In Hometown NY
Originally posted by laureng
One of my good friends used to work for Liberty Homes, who have the rentals and new houses/townhouses behind Nicoletti's. There is a woman there who was incredibly mad about her house, etc... and she spray painted both of her cars with nasty sayings about the builder. She drives them all around town, and I've seen her lots of times. They sued her, but since my friend doesn't work there anymore I don't know what the outcome was.

I have seen those vehicles.........I was like what the hell is this? She must of been really p.o'd off at those people.

If you ever need home improvement stay away from Robert Long Sr Carpentry, this guy is a waste of space. Hes robbing us blind and still acts like hes a victim!!

Chrystee

Originally posted by joeyinlexpark
I have seen those vehicles.........I was like what the hell is this? She must of been really p.o'd off at those people.

If you ever need home improvement stay away from Robert Long Sr Carpentry, this guy is a waste of space. Hes robbing us blind and still acts like hes a victim!!

i have a house built by Liberty Land Development..

They have changed their name several times to avoid lawsuits, and built our house like CRAP.. That lady is RIGHT ON with EVERYTHING that is said on her car.

On the flip side, we are building a house with Curtis homes/Harbor homes, and I couldn't be happier so far!