New hunter? crossbow vs compound

Eventer29

I am considering getting a bow, for target shooting and possibly deer hunting. I definitely wont be hunting this year. I know I need to take the hunter safety course and all. Right now I am looking at different bows online. Will also be doing a lot of talking to friends and family who hunt and getting some tips and info. I am debating between a compound bow and a crossbow. Which might be easier for a beginner to master? I have a couple friends who are going to let me try their bows to see what i like. but want some opinions on what most think is the easier of the two to use. I have read a few articles on crossbow vs compound for hunting, but can not find anything that would pertain to a new hunter using either.
Any other tips or info you can give is appreciated!

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
I am considering getting a bow, for target shooting and possibly deer hunting. I definitely wont be hunting this year. I know I need to take the hunter safety course and all. Right now I am looking at different bows online. Will also be doing a lot of talking to friends and family who hunt and getting some tips and info. I am debating between a compound bow and a crossbow. Which might be easier for a beginner to master? I have a couple friends who are going to let me try their bows to see what i like. but want some opinions on what most think is the easier of the two to use. I have read a few articles on crossbow vs compound for hunting, but can not find anything that would pertain to a new hunter using either.

Just don't use it to kill your wifes lover. Its already been done in this county. Wouldn't want to be cliche'. Just saying.:coffee:

belvak

Happy Camper
Hubby bought a crossbow early this summer and loves it! We have 5 in the freezer, so it definitely works good!! He has some issues with his shoulder, so the compound bow was hard for him to draw. The crossbow is easy, and he's been very accurate with it. He was always a "gun" hunter before.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
Hubby bought a crossbow early this summer and loves it! We have 5 in the freezer, so it definitely works good!! He has some issues with his shoulder, so the compound bow was hard for him to draw. The crossbow is easy, and he's been very accurate with it. He was always a "gun" hunter before.

Why do you keep your crossbows in the freezer? :confused:

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
If I wasn't a bow hunter already and was buying one for the first time, I'd get a crossbow unless you're more up to the challenge than actually harvesting; think about the deer as well, worse thing is to maim a deer and it goes off to die a slow, miserable death. .... JMO

Bonehead

A compound bow

Does take some strength to pull and hold, it is a different set of muscles that in some people don't get much use. I sold my compound 2 years ago to a younger man that couldn't even pull it.....
I have a crossbow now and it shoots like a rifle out to 50 yards. Excaliber is an expensive brand but built to last.

Caution

Go check out 3Js Archery, They'll let you shoot a few and get a feel for things. The Home Of 3 J's Archery

Eventer29

Was leaning towards a crossbow. And as far as shooting to kill, yeah I def dont want to maim a deer and have it running around in pain slowly dying. I am going to practice with whatever I get, if i cant hit a target that doesnt move I am def not going to go try to hunt a moving creature. If I suck a I also have minor issues with my shoulder which was another reason I lean towards the crossbow.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Join Maryland Whitetail Forum. Lots of info there to help you with your decision. Dedicated forums to both vertical and crossbows.