New PC Build Problem

SoMdDude

New PC Build Problem (solved..see post 18)

Ok this is a problem I've never ran into, been building computers for 10 years...but every time i turn this sucker on..it goes into power save mode almost immediately...havent even had the chance to install windows yet or anything! So it is not a setting in the control panel.

Everything turns on, all fans are spinning..even the vid card...but the monitor/system is going into the dreaded POWER SAVE MODE ughhhhhhh

I returned my motherboard and processor to tiger direct, and got new ones just today. I have tried removing the battery and switching the bios jumper on the board to reset it..i also made sure i used the power cord that came with the brand new PS. I dont get any error beeps what so ever either. ALL of the plugs are firmly in place. Everything is brand new except for what i have noted that i am using from my old system. I tried calling Intel a little bit ago but they go home at 5pm est..bastards lol

Specs are below
New system consists of...

Antec P182 Case (i dont like all the lights and see thru cases, im old school heh)
http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/r...82/p182-01.jpg
WIN XP
Seagate 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Ultra X3 850W Modular PS (single 12v rail at 70A)
4GB of Corsair Ram
Radeon HD 5850 Video 1Gig DDR5
Intel i5 Dual Core processor at 3.33Ghz (i5 650)
Intel DP55WB MB
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound (pulled from old system)
Still using my old Mitsubishi 22' CRT Monitor
Speakers..Boston Acoustics 5'1 setup..forget the model

I have reseated the video card twice..all the ram is firmly in the dimm's and everything. .

Anyone else have any suggestions??..and yes i ground myself every time I touch a computer heh

EDIT: Ok i just read the MB i have doesnt like anything over 1.60 volts, and it seems mine is 1.65V!!! ughh going to call TG back and ship this back and get some thats not over 1.60! Got a return authorization from tiger direct..shipping it back tomorrow..then hitting a local computer store to get the correct ram

Last edited:
E

EmptyTimCup

EDIT: Ok i just read the MB i have doesnt like anything over 1.60 volts, and it seems mine is 1.65V!!! ughh going to call TG back and ship this back and get some thats not over 1.60! Got a return authorization from tiger direct..shipping it back tomorrow..then hitting a local computer store to get the correct ram

so your replacing ? the PSU ?

also IIRC, Power Save is a function on the OS, not BIOS ... ie the BIOS does not put the system into power save mode (not that I have ever seen) APCI is built into the BIOS, but that is triggered by the OS ....

jaksprat

also IIRC, Power Save is a function on the OS, not BIOS ... ie the BIOS does not put the system into power save mode (not that I have ever seen) APCI is built into the BIOS, but that is triggered by the OS ....

OK, I'm not a PC user anymore, but I do remember there being settings in the BIOS settings for power mgmt. I just checked one of my old manuals and there's a setting for Standby Timeout (in minutes). It says it puts into power save Standby mode if no activity after specified minutes.

SoMdDude - Does your BIOS settings have anything similar?

SoMdDude

No the RAM..my board doesnt like anything over 1.6v ..what i ordered is 1.65v

Havent even been able to install windows yet..it goes into power save mode before booting...should be fine once i get the new ram

Whoops! :pete:

nuttshack

Ok let me ask a few questions...when it goes into powersave mode is the PS and CPU fans still running? Is the box still on?

Does the POST finish?

Is it finding the HDD controller etc... In a nutshell at what point does it go into Power save?

Do you have another box to test out the components on?

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
Can you get into the BIOS? If so, you can manually set the SDRAM Memory Voltage to 1.65v.

SoMdDude

Ok let me ask a few questions...when it goes into powersave mode is the PS and CPU fans still running? Is the box still on?

Does the POST finish?

Is it finding the HDD controller etc... In a nutshell at what point does it go into Power save?

Do you have another box to test out the components on?

Re-read my first post...it doesnt post, goes directly into power save mode 5 seconds after turning the box on, all fans work and everything

Can you get into the BIOS? If so, you can manually set the SDRAM Memory Voltage to 1.65v.

No the system doesnt post..going to get some correct ram later on..manual that came with the MB said not to use memory with voltage over 1.6v...I didnt see that info when i ordered the board..i'll be up and running later with no issues i am sure

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
SoMdDude:

It is not going into powersaving mode. It is not posting. It is going into error mode or brick mode. Have you gone into the bios to play with the memory settings at all? Have you hit whatever key to see it actually posting? Also did you hook up the system speaker? This would have probably given you a clue that the mobo didn't like something. Memory is usually the culprit. good luck finding memory locally that isnt going to cost an arm and a leg.

btw i prefer newegg for stuff like this.

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
No the system doesnt post..going to get some correct ram later on..manual that came with the MB said not to use memory with voltage over 1.6v...I didnt see that info when i ordered the board..i'll be up and running later with no issues i am sure
The RAM will work. You just have to know how to make it work. Do you have a single SDRAM module or more? If more, remove all but one. Make sure it is in Channel A DIMM 0(the blue slot closest to the CPU). I'd recomend removing everything except the vid card, one DIMM, the CPU and keyboard(no sound cards, no hard drives, no CD/DVD drives, etc). Just the bare minimum. Once you power it up start pressing F2. That will get you into the BIOS. Once in the BIOS, go to performance then down to Memory Overrides, after this change where it says Automatic to Manual then go down to SDRAM Memory Voltage and change it to 1.65v. Save and reboot. See if it POSTs. If all is good, start putting in the rest of the components.

SoMdDude

SoMdDude:

It is not going into powersaving mode. It is not posting. It is going into error mode or brick mode. Have you gone into the bios to play with the memory settings at all? Have you hit whatever key to see it actually posting? Also did you hook up the system speaker? This would have probably given you a clue that the mobo didn't like something. Memory is usually the culprit. good luck finding memory locally that isnt going to cost an arm and a leg.

btw i prefer newegg for stuff like this.

My monitor says "power save mode" right after i turn the system on. I received a few gift cards from tiger direct for xmas and my BD in January..that why i bought from tiger direct..newegg is the same thing just a different name...i've used both in the past with no issues..but thats not the point here.

The RAM will work. You just have to know how to make it work. Do you have a single SDRAM module or more? If more, remove all but one. Make sure it is in Channel A DIMM 0(the blue slot closest to the CPU). I'd recomend removing everything except the vid card, one DIMM, the CPU and keyboard(no sound cards, no hard drives, no CD/DVD drives, etc). Just the bare minimum. Once you power it up start pressing F2. That will get you into the BIOS. Once in the BIOS, go to performance then down to Memory Overrides, after this change where it says Automatic to Manual then go down to SDRAM Memory Voltage and change it to 1.65v. Save and reboot. See if it POSTs. If all is good, start putting in the rest of the components.

I've tried hitting f2 to get into bios..doesnt work, goes into power save mode almost immediately..like i said im getting the correct voltage ram in a few hours..will post back here when its up and running. Been building computers a while and just never ran into this problem is all.

E

EmptyTimCup

My monitor says "power save mode" right after i turn the system on.

:faint:

Your Monitor is going into "Power Save Mode" not your Computer ...

when a monitor does not receive a signal from a video source ... it goes to sleep

Floyd2004

-Void-
Also hit DEL to enter BIOS.
Usually its only an F key for POS store bought machines like dell, hp, gateway.

It just sounds like your PC isnt posting. And if you need 1.6v ram the 1.65 sticks you have are fine. What it wouldnt like are the 1.9v sticks like I have.

WH401

Check to makes sure the video card is seated properly. As "EmptyTimCup" said, your monitor isn't getting a video signal, and it will cause it to turn off. I recently had 1 of the computers in the house doing this intermittently because the video card was in the process of going south. Thankfully I was able to just switch the monitor over to the on-board graphics and video output was fine. But, based on the board you bought it won't be that simple as you don't have on board graphics.

Good luck to you.

SoMdDude

MB and processor were dead..my own damn fault...missed installing one post screw/standoff, and it was shorting out as soon as i gave it power ughhh but i didnt tell tiger direct that hahaha returned for a refund..gonna go out and buy some from microcenter, so I can just return it w/o having to pay for shipping if i fark up again ..total PITA :killingme Will update when I get the new ones in and running...cheers

Last edited:

SoMdDude

Thanks for the suggestion/help :smack:

Well, got a new motherboard and processor and its still happening, hoping to find a friend with a spare 16x PCIE card laying around, or a spare power supply with enough power to run the card to test...otherwise I am out of options as far as troubleshooting goes really...have a very tech savy friend looking into things for me.. *crosses fingers*