New Theater Coming Across from Wildewood?

The Baltimore-based theater is anticipating the opening of the 2,400-seat movie complex by the third quarter of 2014, contingent on obtaining a financial incentive from St. Mary’s County.

I don't believe there will be enough business for a new theatre in that location to make it worth the cost of construction, implementation and operation. It will be a dive before you know it.

Beta

Smile!
interesting. i thought there was a plaza and a home depot going over there. i can never keep track.

hmm after reading it, i guess it can still have all of that. interesting. this must be a large plaza.

JeJeTe

Happiness
interesting. i thought there was a plaza and a home depot going over there. i can never keep track.

hmm after reading it, i guess it can still have all of that. interesting. this must be a large plaza.

I know and I'm starting to hate how much St. Mary's is growing up.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Is this going in behind the dump truck/ car fatality memorial??

Are they going to name it the Freightliner Plaza??

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
I don't believe there will be enough business for a new theatre in that location to make it worth the cost of construction, implementation and operation.

Are you serious. Do you have any idea how many people from this area travel to Brandywine or Waldorf to see a movie?

The last movie I saw at brandywine I ran into 10 people I knew from that county at the theater. That was just during the few minutes it took me to walk into the movie and back to my car. ( I will admit that driving a sweet Z06 increases the number by a little bit)

If there was a decent movie theater around her I would go watch a lot more movies than I do now.

DEEKAYPEE8569

For Theater-go'ers

Are you serious. Do you have any idea how many people from this area travel to Brandywine or Waldorf to see a movie?

The last movie I saw at brandywine I ran into 10 people I knew from that county at the theater. That was just during the few minutes it took me to walk into the movie and back to my car. ( I will admit that driving a sweet Z06 increases the number by a little bit)

If there was a decent movie theater around her I would go watch a lot more movies than I do now.

What's theater admission now?

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
It varys based on the time and if you book through fandango but typically 8 to 12 bucks.

Beta

Smile!
I know and I'm starting to hate how much St. Mary's is growing up.

yeah really. I don't mind driving a little for all of those conveniences, if it means less traffic near the house. it's getting annoying and I haven't even been here that long. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to all of you who have been here for years :ohwell:

DEEKAYPEE8569

!

yeah really. I don't mind driving a little for all of those conveniences, if it means less traffic near the house. it's getting annoying and I haven't even been here that long. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to all of you who have been here for years :ohwell:
Speaking of 'traffic near the house;' has anybody noticed the increase on 4 between 5 and 235? HOLY CRAP!

Yes, I am serious. I do not believe we have enough people willing to regularly dole out the enormous cost of seeing a movie often enough to keep a 2,400 seat theatre filled enough to offset the cost of construction, implementation and operation. Dead serious.

Those of us who do travel to Waldorf or Brandywine do so as a "treat" or "special ocassion" venture. Going to a movie theatre is not a regular venture for most folks. Besides, there are not enough good movies being made worthy of seeing it in a theatre rather than wait for it to hit the home theatres in just a couple short months.

Beta

Smile!
Yes, I am serious. I do not believe we have enough people willing to regularly dole out the enormous cost of seeing a movie often enough to keep a 2,400 seat theatre filled enough to offset the cost of construction, implementation and operation. Dead serious.

Those of us who do travel to Waldorf or Brandywine do so as a "treat" or "special ocassion" venture. Going to a movie theatre is not a regular venture for most folks. Besides, there are not enough good movies being made worthy of seeing it in a theatre rather than wait for it to hit the home theatres in just a couple short months.

~100k people in the county, plus plenty of people from Calvert that would come by, plus a decent number of travelers that might catch a movie while TDY.

Yeah...2,400 is still a pretty damn large chunk of the population. I'd rather stay at home in front of the big screen.

MMDad

Lem Putt

Take the traffic that would be going to that dump in LP, the dump in Prince Fred, the 'dorf, Brandywine, or Annapolis, and you do have enough. I think it could do well.

BernieP

Resident PIA

The last "plan" I saw had no anchor, no major attraction.

I'm surpirsed someone is going to invest this type of money to build a project like that.
County is not offering anything, the land owner is a private developer and ths county can't offer even tax releif.

IF it does open, Lowes in the Park will shut down.
That or they would have to offer incredibly cheap tickets