New York City

Hank

my war
My son just went to New York for a week. He took Amtrak and he said it was fantastic. Very easy smooth ride. Plus it was affordable. It was $130 round trip w/ AAA discount. He's only 17 so I was a bit hesitant and worried (mom problems :lol:) but he did great! I'm definitely considering going up there that way now. I've been putting off going there for a long weekend because parking rates are soooo expensive so this seems to be an affordable solution.

I have traveled back and forth to & from NYC hundreds of times. Train is the way to go! No doubt!

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Being and actual Native New Yorker who was born and raised in Manhattan, your best bet for traveling is the Subway, Bus, and Walking in that order. At the end of the day when your feet are tired, take a one way cab ride back to your hotel/motel! Unless of course you choose to stay at the Navy Lodge on SI. Check out Greenwich Village, SoHo, Battery Park/Wall street area (weekends almost empty)/ South street seaport / Eat real Chinese food in China town / and concur with slowlane post above!

Last, keep your head on a swivel and watch out for overly friendly people who want to so call Help You! ;-)

spinner

Groupon had some really good deals on mid town hotels last week. I'm thinking about giving them a try in the spring.

tastycake

I need to go back just so I can hit up Eataly. Last time I was in the city we stayed literally one block from there and for some reason I spaced it off and didn't go. :banghead:

I have heard/read that they are opening up an Eataly in DC in 2017! I hope it is as cool as the one in NYC.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Last, keep your head on a swivel and watch out for overly friendly people who want to so call Help You! ;-)

However! New Yorkers are nicer than they get credit for, and if you're standing in front of the subway map with a puzzled look on your face, one will invariably come over and ask you where you're trying to go and direct you to the right train. So don't be too quick to snub them.