NJ and VA governor elections show progress toward marijuana reform

SamSpade

I'm seriously unconvinced when someone actually tries to make the claim that marijuana is GOOD for you.
I have the same sentiment as a few years ago when McDonald's had this huge campaign trying to convince Americans that their food was *healthy*.

I get that it relieves pain, just as alcohol does, and I get that it is recreational the same way both alcohol and fast food are.
But please don't waste your time, money or breath telling me it's good for me. We all know better than that.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Drug testing really isn’t the norm.

Besides, employers are certainly allowed to have a no drug use policy despite what state law might be.

True enough. Many employers do have a random test policy in place that is seldom, if ever, actually used. But the policies are there. In other areas - transportation jobs, for example - the tests are commonly applied.

This_person

It seems to me that ignoring federal law is a last resort, not a “good progress” thing.

Repeal the 17th amendment to give the states authority in federal government, then modify the regulations. Use the process first. In other words, be a nation of laws.

Chris0nllyn

I'm seriously unconvinced when someone actually tries to make the claim that marijuana is GOOD for you.
I have the same sentiment as a few years ago when McDonald's had this huge campaign trying to convince Americans that their food was *healthy*.

I get that it relieves pain, just as alcohol does, and I get that it is recreational the same way both alcohol and fast food are.
But please don't waste your time, money or breath telling me it's good for me. We all know better than that.

I'm not sure anyone is making those claims. Medicine, whether it be Advil, Oxycontin, or Marijuana is not always "good" for you (just look at all the side effects), but remains effective in specified doses.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Saw something interesting today. Turns out that in Hawaii, if you are given a medical marijuana card, you forfeit your right to own any firearms and have to dispose of them or turn them in. Any of the other states with legal medical marijuana laws on the books going to do that too?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
.... if you are given a medical marijuana card, you forfeit your right to own any firearms and have to dispose of them or turn them in.

what is the reasoning ... plenty of people are prescribed 'legal' psychoactive meds

Paxil
Zoloft
Zanx

nutz

Saw something interesting today. Turns out that in Hawaii, if you are given a medical marijuana card, you forfeit your right to own any firearms and have to dispose of them or turn them in. Any of the other states with legal medical marijuana laws on the books going to do that too?

I stumbled onto something else interesting while looking,
in (Hawaii) HRS 329 part IX; 123 (b), they require medical marijuana users to register with, and pay a fee to, the health dept.

And, like smoking tobacco, the medical marijuana user can be evicted for smoking in a rental unit
(Hawaii) Title 28, 521-39

But the 9th US Court did say it's a nono based on federal law that bans the sale of firearms to illegal drug users.

http://fortune.com/2016/09/01/medical-marijuana-gun/

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
what is the reasoning ... plenty of people are prescribed 'legal' psychoactive meds

Paxil
Zoloft
Zanx

Cannabis is a Schedule I controlled substance. Government says no medical use regardless of what the states say.

nutz

Probably the word, legal...But not being totally familiar with the firearms purchase forms, those might be a red flag too.

Chris0nllyn

Cannabis is a Schedule I controlled substance. Government says no medical use regardless of what the states say.

^This

It's arguable because the form asks if you're an "unlawful user", IIRC, and one could argue it's lawful at the state level, but illegal at the federal level (which is what the form is for anyway).

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What a notice looks like..obviously a state-level confiscation order.
Hawaii gun confiscation letter.jpg

nutz

^This

It's arguable because the form asks if you're an "unlawful user", IIRC, and one could argue it's lawful at the state level, but illegal at the federal level (which is what the form is for anyway).

Under the federal guideline, yes you are an unlawful user. No argument, no discussion.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Well at least there is an option to legally transfer ownership. Odd that ammo is included in the order, don't you think?

Since ammo is included with firearms in the Federal law I don't think it is odd at all.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Looking at the Ninth Circuit's ruling, the purchase of a firearm is prohibited to a marijuana permit holder. In the case they decided, the liberal marijuana permit holder denies being a user (she just purchased the permit to show support for legalization of marijuana.) It's almost like being hoisted by her own petard, almost.

Ken King

PREMO Member
No federal restrictions on ammo purchase except proof of age. (Unless we're talking about Fred's in Waldorf)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922
(g) It shall be unlawful for any person—
(3) who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802));
to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
So, unless you built the firearm and ammunition yourself (to include the powder, lead and casing, thus not affecting commerce) it would be illegal to own if you are an unlawful user of any controlled substance.

PsyOps

Pixelated

Funny they went after guns and not auto accidents. According the CDC 2016 stats, there were 476 accident deaths while there were 40 firearms deaths. Do they think the number of accident deaths won't increase due to increase pot use; that only firearm deaths would increase?

This_person

Funny they went after guns and not auto accidents. According the CDC 2016 stats, there were 476 accident deaths while there were 40 firearms deaths. Do they think the number of accident deaths won't increase due to increase pot use; that only firearm deaths would increase?

Isn't it already unlawful to operate a vehicle under the influence of such a substance?