No bullies allowed :(

Otherblood

Hey everyone!

I recently adopted an older special needs dog whom I love dearly. She is very sweet, loves kisses, has an underbite and sticks her tongue out in the most adorable of ways. I adopted her with the knowledge that she's heartworm positive, has mammary cancer, has bad knees and skin issues. I was willing to deal with all this and offer her treatment because she is the sweetest dog I've ever met.
But.... she's a staffordshire bull terrier.. pit bull... whichever.

My problem is - She LOVES other dogs. She would love love love to play, but my other two dogs do not want any part of it. She does the whole 'nudge and try to paw at the other dog' and the 'whuffle snuffles', as I like to call it (Where she just kinda rubs her nose against the other dog and snuffles loudly), but neither of my other dogs feel the need to entertain her when she engages play. I do know she doesn't like to be dominated over, though.

The websites for the dog parks I've looked into say NO PIT BULLS or relatives thereof allowed. So I can't take her there to have fun. Does anyone here in somd organize small play-dates for their dogs at a park/tennis court? I've only had her for 2 months and I want to tread cautiously, but I want her to have some social fun with other dogs for the short time she has left. She's pretty slow - she can't run fast, and her teeth are filed down (I don't know where or who had her before me, she was found running at large), so she has no sharp points. She's also deaf, if that makes a difference. She's about 50lbs, spayed now, recovered from mammary surgery, has had her shots, is on advantix and heartgard (And awaiting HW treatment).

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!

frequentflier

happy to be living
Hey everyone!

I recently adopted an older special needs dog whom I love dearly. She is very sweet, loves kisses, has an underbite and sticks her tongue out in the most adorable of ways. I adopted her with the knowledge that she's heartworm positive, has mammary cancer, has bad knees and skin issues. I was willing to deal with all this and offer her treatment because she is the sweetest dog I've ever met.
But.... she's a staffordshire bull terrier.. pit bull... whichever.

My problem is - She LOVES other dogs. She would love love love to play, but my other two dogs do not want any part of it. She does the whole 'nudge and try to paw at the other dog' and the 'whuffle snuffles', as I like to call it (Where she just kinda rubs her nose against the other dog and snuffles loudly), but neither of my other dogs feel the need to entertain her when she engages play. I do know she doesn't like to be dominated over, though.

The websites for the dog parks I've looked into say NO PIT BULLS or relatives thereof allowed. So I can't take her there to have fun. Does anyone here in somd organize small play-dates for their dogs at a park/tennis court? I've only had her for 2 months and I want to tread cautiously, but I want her to have some social fun with other dogs for the short time she has left. She's pretty slow - she can't run fast, and her teeth are filed down (I don't know where or who had her before me, she was found running at large), so she has no sharp points. She's also deaf, if that makes a difference. She's about 50lbs, spayed now, recovered from mammary surgery, has had her shots, is on advantix and heartgard (And awaiting HW treatment).

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!

Not to be a smarta$$, but if she is heartworm positive, why is she being given heartguard?
What dog parks don't allow pits?

Otherblood

She's had chest x-rays and full chemistry blood work and urinalysis to stage her heartworm disease. Part of the treatment for her particular stage of the disease is doxycycline antibiotic as well as keeping her on heartgard to prevent any microfilaria from building up in her blood again. This protocol was started (She was hospitalized for this) at a veterinary hospital to monitor for an anyphylactic reaction.

And the dog parks I have personally visited that don't allow pits (There are signs posted) are White Plains, and Turkey Hill Dog park.

SugarNSpikes

The dogpark off Turkey Hill road has a 'No Pit' sign.

I don't take my two out because the Shepherd/sheltie is old and grumpy and the basset is scared of his own shadow.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Not to be a smarta$$, but if she is heartworm positive, why is she being given heartguard?
What dog parks don't allow pits?
they will start a pretreatment... like this

heartguard is one of the safest to treat a low/small case of heartworms with :yay:

She's had chest x-rays and full chemistry blood work and urinalysis to stage her heartworm disease. Part of the treatment for her particular stage of the disease is doxycycline antibiotic as well as keeping her on heartgard to prevent any microfilaria from building up in her blood again. This protocol was started (She was hospitalized for this) at a veterinary hospital to monitor for an anyphylactic reaction.

And the dog parks I have personally visited that don't allow pits (There are signs posted) are White Plains, and Turkey Hill Dog park.

Ok... so if she is HW pos. ... I would keep her as calm as possible. Her heart is under strain as it is with the worms.
Maybe instead you can go on some nice calm walks with her :yay:

I wouldnt put her in any danger .. like letting her play and run around and get the heart pumping !! :huggy:

she sounds like a great doggie!

toppick08

Hell.....my girl is considered a "bully" at the dog park.:lol:...cause she works, while the others play....:ohwell:......Hope your pooch get's better.....:huggy:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Hell.....my girl is considered a "bully" at the dog park.:lol:...cause she works, while the others play....:ohwell:......Hope your pooch get's better.....:huggy:

:smack:

you know what they are talking about ....dont make me have to :smack: you again! :killingme

I dont to the pk anymore... people have no respect for picking up after their pets... and they even bring their sick dogs their also! :coffee:

toppick08

:smack:

you know what they are talking about ....dont make me have to :smack: you again! :killingme

I dont to the pk anymore... people have no respect for picking up after their pets... and they even bring their sick dogs their also! :coffee:

I clean mine up..:smack:..:smoochy:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I clean mine up..:smack:..:smoochy:

some people do... but its those who dont even watch what their dog is doing.. ahhhh like humping or cornering other dogs... Its those who just dont care.

... and then you have the fools who leave the BACK fence doors open... and dogs get out! :burning:

toppick08

some people do... but its those who dont even watch what their dog is doing.. ahhhh like humping or cornering other dogs... Its those who just dont care.

... and then you have the fools who leave the BACK fence doors open... and dogs get out! :burning:

I agree....they should ban cell phones there also...I do go to the back to sneak a smoke in.....:lol:

Roman

Dog

You are a fantastic person, to give an ailing Dog a home, Vet Care, and lovin for her short time left. I really admire you for that!! We have a Dog Park in Calvert off Broomes Island Road. We go there all the time. I haven't seen any signs Posted, about not allowing Pits. I have a Boston Terrier that prefers BIG dogs, to the little one's. If anyone wants to set up a Play Date..I'm in! Let me know if you want directions to this Dog Park. It may be too far for you. I wish you, and your New Friend all the luck in the world. You deserve it!!

Compa

I go to white plains on a regular basis. The no pits rule is not enforced. As long as your dog doesn't cause problems you'll be fine. I hate the rep pits get. I see plenty of good pits. I also see plenty of other dogs causing problems. It is difficult at a park because each owner has his/her own expectations of good behavior. I admire you for being such a good dog lover taking responsibility for a dog with all those health problems. Wish you and your dog luck.