North Carolina

camily

Peace
Ok, we are heading back to Ocean Isle Beach in August. We can't check in until 3 or 4 on Saturday. We are renting a van and leaving Friday afternoon. Any ideas on someplace in the middle that the kids would dig? I'm thinking maybe indian or NASCAR related. Thanks! We want to stop, visit, stay the night and maybe spend some time there the next day before we have to be in OIB.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
camily said:
Ok, we are heading back to Ocean Isle Beach in August. We can't check in until 3 or 4 on Saturday. We are renting a van and leaving Friday afternoon. Any ideas on someplace in the middle that the kids would dig? I'm thinking maybe indian or NASCAR related. Thanks! We want to stop, visit, stay the night and maybe spend some time there the next day before we have to be in OIB.

You could hit Charlotte. :shrug: It's not exactly "en route" (you'd take I-85 South(west) from Richmond, I believe) but there is a TON of NASCAR stuff to see/do. Most of the major teams' shops are in Mooresville (just north of Charlotte), and most of them let you tour the facility and check out memorabilia and whatnot. Easily a day and a half can be spent, and more if you take your time. Then you can get on I-40 East and shoot on over to the beach. :yay:

I wanna say from Richmond, Mooresville is about 3 hours, tops, given it's all interstate.

UpChuckMan

Upper Charles County :-)
crabcake said:
You could hit Charlotte. :shrug: It's not exactly "en route" (you'd take I-85 South(west) from Richmond, I believe) but there is a TON of NASCAR stuff to see/do. Most of the major teams' shops are in Mooresville (just north of Charlotte), and most of them let you tour the facility and check out memorabilia and whatnot. Easily a day and a half can be spent, and more if you take your time. Then you can get on I-40 East and shoot on over to the beach. :yay:

I wanna say from Richmond, Mooresville is about 3 hours, tops, given it's all interstate.
:yeahthat: Who knows, the kids may even like the van ride around the superspeedway at Lowe's Motor Speedway.

Feel The Thrill Tour includes a close-up look at areas that are off-limits on race days. Visit the NEXTEL Cup garage, travel down pit road and take a picture in Victory Circle. The highlight of this half-hour tour is a comfortable van ride around the superspeedway where you will feel the full-tilt force of the 24-degree banking. Feel The Thrill Tours are available on non-event days Monday through Saturday 9:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m. and Sunday 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Admission is $5 per person. Group tours are also available by reservation. Walk in tours begin at the Lowe's Motor Speedway gift shop. Call 704-455-3204 for information. (If a child needs a car seat, please provide your own)

http://www.lowesmotorspeedway.com/visitors_guide/tours/