Northbound Rt. 5 in Waldorf?

OldHillcrestGuy

huntr1 said:
Saw the perc test holes 2 years ago on what you are calling the Bowling Farm and knew it was getting developed.

The farm where the leaders of the "Save Hughesville" (or whatever that anti-stadium group was called) live is covered in perc test holes. Has been since before they formed Save Hughesville. That's why I say they are just a couple of hypocrites. They don't want to Save Hughesville, they want to Build Out Hughesville by turning their neighborhood into yet another cookie cutter subdivision.

All that farm is not theirs, was in the family but other family members had the biggest portion. They are holding on, think other members of the family maybe selling off.

Really urks me about the Preserve Hughesville people, especially the anti-stadium ones. Whats to preserve, main street needs to be torn down from the bargain barns to the stoplight. Best thing thats happened to Hughesville is the Harley dealership, and the fact that the owner is purchasing other properties along Rt. 5, with plans to fix things up, he bought up a couple of the barns late last year and has some nice plans for them in the future.

OldHillcrestGuy

[QUOTE='SkinsFan]Can anyone please tell me what's going in the huge cleared area, northbound side of Route 5, right after the intersection of Mattawoman-Beantown Road? Whatever it will be--with the lack of any zoning plans in Charles County--I'm sure it will create a huge traffic screw-up.[/QUOTE]

Lets start rumor that its going to be a Super Walmart. :lmao:

'SkinsFan

OldHillcrestGuy said:
All that farm is not theirs, was in the family but other family members had the biggest portion. They are holding on, think other members of the family maybe selling off.

Really urks me about the Preserve Hughesville people, especially the anti-stadium ones. Whats to preserve, main street needs to be torn down from the bargain barns to the stoplight. Best thing thats happened to Hughesville is the Harley dealership, and the fact that the owner is purchasing other properties along Rt. 5, with plans to fix things up, he bought up a couple of the barns late last year and has some nice plans for them in the future.

The family that had the Save Hughesville sign in the yard was not involved in the sale of the old Herbert house and land. They only have a small portion of that land and they are losing some of that because of the new road. The lady who lives there sells--or used to sell--irises and chrysanthemums. She told me a couple of years ago that at one time Giant and Food Lion were interested in the property. Then the County talked about using the site for the new stadium, which fell through. Not sure what's going there now.

OldHillcrestGuy said:
Really urks me about the Preserve Hughesville people, especially the anti-stadium ones.

I'm guessing that the people who want to preserve Hughesville are afraid of it turning into another Waldorf. If that's the case, I don't blame them!

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
flomaster said:
Heading south on 301 towards Newburgh and the Mechanicsville area of Wicomico are still fairly unmolested.
Were you around to see it 5 - 10 years ago? The happy little subdivisions have creeped down 301 to claim what used to be open space. After going as far south as possible - considering the plant and existing developments - will spread outward. It is inevitable.

[QUOTE='SkinsFan]All of these new housing developments and businesses are making me sick--at least others here feel the same way I do. I hate what's happening to the County.[/QUOTE]I was upset at the development of the quiet end - and redirection of - DeMarr Rd. I still cringe at those places... but I was shocked to see the new ones down Billingsley, just off the St. Charles Parkway. They seem to have virtually sprung up overnight! There can not be any sense to this. They are zoning and building wherever possible, caring not for the infrastructure's load capacity.

The houses in the picture are one of the nearby developments. Reminds me of some organism sprouting little clones left and right...

Attachments

• houses.jpg
    houses.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

OldHillcrestGuy

Speedy70 said:
I'm guessing that the people who want to preserve Hughesville are afraid of it turning into another Waldorf. If that's the case, I don't blame them!

Other then the homes in Hughesville there are only about 5 -6 buildings worth preserving, Harley Davidson, SMECO, Southern Maryland Board of Realtors and of course the Firehouse :razz: opps the Baptist Chruch too, the rest of the buildings through town need major fixing up. Hotel Charles has done a nice job of fixing up the building
I knew about the interest that Giant had with the land next to MSI, if Hughesville ever gets any major stores it will be along the bypass kind of across from Harley on the east side, there is a very big farm thats for sell or has been sold already.
I also believe there are plans for some type of Medical Office complex just before the tobacco barns on the right heading south just past the Iris patch by SMECO's training area.
You wouldnt believe the number of new housing developements planned for the area, and these homes aren't cheap. On Sunday if you look at the property transfer's in the Washington Post, Southern Maryland section of the 3 counties, homes that have sold in Hughesville, there is at least one sometimes several in the top 5. If you include just Charles County homes, Hughesvile resell is usually the largest one in $$$.

OldHillcrestGuy said:
Other then the homes in Hughesville there are only about 5 -6 buildings worth preserving, Harley Davidson, SMECO, Southern Maryland Board of Realtors and of course the Firehouse :razz: opps the Baptist Chruch too, the rest of the buildings through town need major fixing up. Hotel Charles has done a nice job of fixing up the building
I knew about the interest that Giant had with the land next to MSI, if Hughesville ever gets any major stores it will be along the bypass kind of across from Harley on the east side, there is a very big farm thats for sell or has been sold already.
I also believe there are plans for some type of Medical Office complex just before the tobacco barns on the right heading south just past the Iris patch by SMECO's training area.
You wouldnt believe the number of new housing developements planned for the area, and these homes aren't cheap. On Sunday if you look at the property transfer's in the Washington Post, Southern Maryland section of the 3 counties, homes that have sold in Hughesville, there is at least one sometimes several in the top 5. If you include just Charles County homes, Hughesvile resell is usually the largest one in $$$.

Well if you get your wish, I'll check with you again in 10 years. I'll see how you like it then.

Tomahawk202

It'll make ya feel good..
I went to the war in 04, got back late 06, and I'll tell you what? I had the hardest time recognizing Waldorf. LaPlata is now taking a turn for the worst. I feel bad for the animals with no where to go. ( But I don't feel bad for them, when they end up on my plate! ) :lmao:

willie

Tomahawk202 said:
I went to the war in 04, got back late 06, and I'll tell you what? I had the hardest time recognizing Waldorf. LaPlata is now taking a turn for the worst. I feel bad for the animals with no where to go. ( But I don't feel bad for them, when they end up on my plate! ) :lmao:
Dinner?

Attachments

• deer2.gif
    deer2.gif
    62 KB · Views: 120

2ballscrewball

[QUOTE='SkinsFan]Can anyone please tell me what's going in the huge cleared area, northbound side of Route 5, right after the intersection of Mattawoman-Beantown Road? Whatever it will be--with the lack of any zoning plans in Charles County--I'm sure it will create a huge traffic screw-up.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure what it will be, but my guess is a strip mall, with self storage units, a liquor store and a pharmacy.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
I've heard it will be residential housing. Not sure how many units. I heard 15 yrs ago or so it was in the works....