Not sure what causes this to happen

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Saw this pic on the net. If this is indeed true, wowzers.

detroit.jpg

Some commented that these are habitat for humanity homes. The brown house on the far left looks very run down in the early picture. The 3rd house appears to be boarded up in the early picture. This is probably a good argument for derelict homes to be torn down asap.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
zillow listing

Seems the home went to seed in 2009. Was valued at over $58K in 08.

2009-- $402 -99.3%
2008-- $58,191

The local high school has 86% of its' students as low income.

SamSpade

If the residents were largely GIVEN this home - rather than saving hard to purchase it - that's a good bit of it.

We've always noticed that when we have lived in neighborhoods with lots of RENTALS - the ground look like crap.
Trash, weeds - because it cost them nothing.

Same thing with the projects and government housing - looks like crap and smells like pee - because it doesn't cost hardly a dime.
There's positively no pride in ownership, when it's free.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, this is the fallacy of Free Stuff. People don't appreciate that which is given. Value is assigned based on the effort expended in the acquisition.

TPD

the poor dad
I’m guessing a landlord went in and bought 2 properties in 2008 (with govt incentives of course) at a helluva deal, tore down the trash, and rebuilt 2 new homes in hopes of acquiring more properties on the same street. He soon found out he could only get the less desirable tenants to rent his 2 nice homes because the rest of the neighborhood looked like crap and whitey wasn’t living in a hell hole. So after renting to the lowlifes for 10 years, he decided it wasn’t worth his time or efforts so he abandoned the 2 what-used-to-be nicest houses on the block - lost nothing because of govt subsidies to buy and build and the sec8 to rent.

limblips

PREMO Member
In downtown Norfolk VA they tore down the infamous projects. They are building multi-income, multi-family units. The original residents can't wait to get in "their" new house. How will they get middle to upper middle income to live there? I expect they willl provide incentives for them. Once the incentives expire the residents will bail like rats on a sinking ship and in 3-5 years the complex will look as bad as the old projects. You cannot change people with free stuff.

GregV814

METAPHOR TIME WITH ME!

1) the house on the FAR left is the LEFT. No sense of pride in ownership, probably given to them by the liberals, falling down, expecting a bail out, bringing down others.

2) the house on the far left is a southern border Country with a once proud nation. Notice it hasnt really changed alot between the two photographs. The first picture represents a neighboring Country, proud nation, clean and neat, grass manicured, fresh new appearance, looks good.
Probably post 1948ish in looks...
The second photograph is current day, since, oh....Carter, Clinton, Obama Biden...

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
What causes it? Its Detroit - nuff said.
Yep. Husband lived in Detroit from 8-18 and he's still traumatized by it and it wasn't nearly as bad as it is nowadays. I went back in 1997 and thought I had stepped into a warzone. Burned out houses and cars everywhere. He lucked out and went to private school so he didn't have to deal with what was probably happening in public schools back then but he said getting home every day was an adventure.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Some commented that these are habitat for humanity homes.

I dont' know about now, but it used to be that Habitat for Humanity required some sweat equity from the beneficiaries.

However that's never a guarantee that it will be appreciated or cared for.

This is a section that were built in the 1990s along Benning Road. I'm familiar with them because I and my crew put in the underground power and transformers ahead of time so they'd have power to build.

Some good, some slipping.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yep. Husband lived in Detroit from 8-18 and he's still traumatized by it and it wasn't nearly as bad as it is nowadays. I went back in 1997 and thought I had stepped into a warzone. Burned out houses and cars everywhere. He lucked out and went to private school so he didn't have to deal with what was probably happening in public schools back then but he said getting home every day was an adventure.

You'd think the residents would take issue with that and the elected officials would be ashamed to rep such a terrible city.

Lately I've been seeing tourism ads for Detroit around the internet and I'm like, are you people high?? "Come to beautiful Detroit!" :twitch:

gemma_rae

I dont' know about now, but it used to be that Habitat for Humanity required some sweat equity from the beneficiaries.

However that's never a guarantee that it will be appreciated or cared for.

This is a section that were built in the 1990s along Benning Road. I'm familiar with them because I and my crew put in the underground power and transformers ahead of time so they'd have power to build.

Some good, some slipping.
I do believe I remember when they were being built. Didn't Jimmy Carter himself show up and actually drive a few nails?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
You'd think the residents would take issue with that and the elected officials would be ashamed to rep such a terrible city.

Lately I've been seeing tourism ads for Detroit around the internet and I'm like, are you people high?? "Come to beautiful Detroit!" :twitch:
Most of the decent residents moved out long ago and left it to the undesirables who don't care. Those who are stuck there are powerless to the masses who just want to destroy everything.