Now what

cashncarry

should I do. Car has 20K miles, service engine light came on, needed an O2 sensor which was replaced. Never ever any problems with the car starting until after the O2 sensor was replaced. Now the car will not start 1 time out of 4. The engine is cranking fine but won't 'catch'. Can anyone give me any ideas? I just spent $304 on the O2 sensor replacement and don't have the $$ to have the garage trouble shoot the hit and miss starting problem. TIA

Start by taking it to any auto parts store and let them do a diagnostic. It's free. it might show something the repairs guys screwed up, or something very simple.

cashncarry

Start by taking it to any auto parts store and let them do a diagnostic. It's free. it might show something the repairs guys screwed up, or something very simple.

Ahaa. Brilliant idea . Why didn't I think of that?? If she'll start , I'm on my way. Thank you very much.

should I do. Car has 20K miles, service engine light came on, needed an O2 sensor which was replaced. Never ever any problems with the car starting until after the O2 sensor was replaced. Now the car will not start 1 time out of 4. The engine is cranking fine but won't 'catch'. Can anyone give me any ideas? I just spent $304 on the O2 sensor replacement and don't have the $$ to have the garage trouble shoot the hit and miss starting problem. TIA

:confused: Isn't it under warranty??? Take it back or to another dealership.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Then you go right back to them and demand them fix it. If the issue didn't start until after they messed with it, then go back and tell them what's wrong.

C

citizen_fear

Car Pro's in the park has always treated me well. They spent over an hour longer on a repair but didn't charge me the extra time because they gave me a quote for the repair ahead of time and said they were going to stick to it. Where in the heck does that happen anymore?.......Car pro's.

Bay_Kat

Tropical

I did that once, ended up needing a $12 part, so nice not taking it to a shop and having them tell you it's going to cost a ton of money to fix it.

cashncarry

Then you go right back to them and demand them fix it. If the issue didn't start until after they messed with it, then go back and tell them what's wrong.
I did take it back yesterday and all they offered was that it's not starting had nothing to do with the installtion of the O2 sensor. They said that I could bring the car back Monday morning. Buddy once they fix their problem I will NEVER go back there ever again and I'll let all of you know who caused the problem so that you all can avoid them!

cashncarry

I did that once, ended up needing a $12 part, so nice not taking it to a shop and having them tell you it's going to cost a ton of money to fix it.

I checked with the auto parts store but they said that the diagnostics only worked when the Check Engine or Service Engine light was on. Wish I'd have taken it there first to have the problem diagnosed then I could have shopped around for prices.

cashncarry

Car Pro's in the park has always treated me well. They spent over an hour longer on a repair but didn't charge me the extra time because they gave me a quote for the repair ahead of time and said they were going to stick to it. Where in the heck does that happen anymore?.......Car pro's.
Thanks. I got their phone number and address and if they can see me Friday and if they charge less than $129. per labor hour (as the sensor installer charged), I'll take it ro your guy. Will call them in the A.M. for an appt. Thanks again.

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
Thanks. I got their phone number and address and if they can see me Friday and if they charge less than $129. per labor hour (as the sensor installer charged), I'll take it ro your guy. Will call them in the A.M. for an appt. Thanks again.

$129 an hour??? Are you serious?

cashncarry

$129 an hour??? Are you serious?

So serious. I'm looking at the bill right now and it clearly says "Parts $165.90Labor $129.00, Shop Supplies $18.95." Having nothing else to do I made note of the time the car was driven into the repair shop and when it was driven out with work complete. It was a total 27 minutes. I could have gone to a shrink and had my head examined for that kind of money. Considering the outcome, perhaps I should have.

Last edited:

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Wow, they SERIOUSLY jipped you on the parts to. O2 sensor at Autozone: $73.99 with a 1 year warranty.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
You can clean your own O2 sensor. Go to a website that has your car on it and there is usually a forum that will tell you how to do it. Very easy. Hubby has been doing it on our 94 T-Bird forever. Saves us a LOT of $.