Now what

cashncarry

daisycreek - BINGO

cash.. read pm

had same problem with Grand Am, and alero and Grand am are twins

defect in the passlock system, GM shoulda recalled them

i paid 300.00 for a tow the 1st time it would not start then learned about this passlock defect, if the mechanics disconnected the battery.. the computer resets and the car will start again..

2003 Oldsmobile Alero passlock problem, won't start & anti-theft light is on -- [ CarComplaints.com ]

You sure hit the nail on the head and I can't thank you enough for the web site. I read all of the comments and complaints before I left for Car Pro's. Long story short the problem was the passlock system which was confirmed by the diagnostics code. There doesn't seem to be an easy solution but there are several ways to circumvent the problem. When I arrived at Car Pro's I turned off the ignition and the tech tried to start it - it wouldn't.
You Formites are THE BEST and thank you for all your help. The guys at Car Prs' offered to come to my house and help me if I had anymore problems with it not starting. Unbelievable and remarkable in this day and age. Thanks all.

cashncarry

You can clean your own O2 sensor. Go to a website that has your car on it and there is usually a forum that will tell you how to do it. Very easy. Hubby has been doing it on our 94 T-Bird forever. Saves us a LOT of $.

Now that I know where the O2 sensor is located and that it can be cleaned I will take your suggestion and clean it myself. Over time that will save a bundle . Thanks for clueing me in BS Gal.

You sure hit the nail on the head and I can't thank you enough for the web site. I read all of the comments and complaints before I left for Car Pro's. Long story short the problem was the passlock system which was confirmed by the diagnostics code. There doesn't seem to be an easy solution but there are several ways to circumvent the problem. When I arrived at Car Pro's I turned off the ignition and the tech tried to start it - it wouldn't.
You Formites are THE BEST and thank you for all your help. The guys at Car Prs' offered to come to my house and help me if I had anymore problems with it not starting. Unbelievable and remarkable in this day and age. Thanks all.

Glad they got you straight. I was pretty sure there would be a readable code in spite of the lack of engine light.

You sure hit the nail on the head and I can't thank you enough for the web site. I read all of the comments and complaints before I left for Car Pro's. Long story short the problem was the passlock system which was confirmed by the diagnostics code. There doesn't seem to be an easy solution but there are several ways to circumvent the problem.

I fixed my Grand Am, I washed it... detailed it and traded it!!! At the time I was earning less so found something brand new in the 13-14 k range that came with 10 yr warranty and traded that possessed pontiac in!!!

At first it wouldn't start maybe one time a month, then 2 x a week and then it was everyday...

I remember praying it would start when they went to test drive to determine my trade in value!

It was a beautiful car with super low mileage... and I loved the body style....but I guess once the previous owner found out about passlock issues they all traded em' in and ran!!!

you can find a lot more info on the Edmund's car site...

just be careful as the cars also have electronic ignition and if you continue to do the key "trick" to get it to start eventually it will burn the ignition up.

the best fix appears to have the passlock system disconnected. There is an article about this on the Edmund's site.

GM really should have recalled them!

Last edited:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Now that I know where the O2 sensor is located and that it can be cleaned I will take your suggestion and clean it myself. Over time that will save a bundle . Thanks for clueing me in BS Gal.

YVW. It has saved us a bunch since I bought the car in 96. Still running and it's a great "second" car to have in case on of ours is in the shop.