Officer shoots dog in front of owner

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Two things: First, I think it is an Australian cattle dog. My brother has one. They are not near the size of a Shepherd. Second, the cop was at the wrong address and shot an innocent dog. If the cop had gone to the correct address...the dog wouldn't be dead. Or, if he had shot a dog at the correct address, because there was a domestic disturbance, this story wouldn't have made the news. I hope you don't live in my neck of the woods, and are "carrying" when you see a neighbor's dog, and you think it might attack you, even though it is just barking at you.

The article specifically says the citizen who called in the report gave the wrong address. So we have a cop who went to the address given. He wasn't wandering around aimlessly at the wrong address so you cannot blame him for being where he was sent.

Chris0nllyn

The article specifically says the citizen who called in the report gave the wrong address. So we have a cop who went to the address given. He wasn't wandering around aimlessly at the wrong address so you cannot blame him for being where he was sent.

That article does....but don't read it!!!!!! :sarcasm:

Seriously, every other article I've read said "the police were responding to a domestic disturbance call and mistakenly went to the wrong address."

Either way, the use of deadly force is the first thing the cop should have done?

In circumstances where officers encounter any animal which reasonably appears, under the circumstances, to pose an imminent threat to the safety of officers or others, officers are authorized to use deadly force to neutralize such a threat.

In circumstances in which officers have sufficient advanced notice that a potentially dangerous domestic animal (e.g., dog) may be encountered, such as in the serving of a search warrant, officers should develop reasonable contingency plans for deadline with the animal without the use of deadly force (e.g., fire extinguisher, TASER Device, oleoresin capsicum (OC) spray, assistance of animal control). Nothing in this policy shall prohibit any officer from resorting to deadly force to control a dangerous animal if circumstances reasonably dedicate that a contingency plan has failed or becomes impracticable.

Based on their "firearms discharge situations" the cop was right. According to his story.

It's a shame either way.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

Seriously, every other article I've read said "the police were responding to a domestic disturbance call and mistakenly went to the wrong address."

The vast majority of coverage on this story consists of blogs by people who are only responding to other bloggers and the admittedly one-sided Facebook page. Don't believe anyone has posted a really 'investigated' story that hasn't been tainted by opinionated one-sided blogs.

Chris0nllyn

The vast majority of coverage on this story consists of blogs by people who are only responding to other bloggers and the admittedly one-sided Facebook page. Don't believe anyone has posted a really 'investigated' story that hasn't been tainted by opinionated one-sided blogs.

There's only so much to this story.

I'm reading the ones from the Austin news stations.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America

Either way, the use of deadly force is the first thing the cop should have done?

Based on their "firearms discharge situations" the cop was right. According to his story.

It's a shame either way.
Look pal, YOU started this knee jerk thread with the obvious slant that the cops knowingly went to the wrong address, overreacted by shooting an innocent dog and Mamatutu jumped on your cop bashing bandwagon. Your own links have made you look like a fool.

The cop reacted as any normal person would when a shepherd type dog comes at them barking and well within his training. Had the dog been left in the backyard, it would still be alive.

Stop blaming the cops and quit trying to be an armchair LEO. You aren't qualified as proven by your posts. Oh and try to find more professional sources. :duh:

Chris0nllyn

Look pal, YOU started this knee jerk thread with the obvious slant that the cops knowingly went to the wrong address, overreacted by shooting an innocent dog and Mamatutu jumped on your cop bashing bandwagon. Your own links have made you look like a fool.

The cop reacted as any normal person would when a shepherd type dog comes at them barking and well within his training. Had the dog been left in the backyard, it would still be alive.

Stop blaming the cops and quit trying to be an armchair LEO. You aren't qualified as proven by your posts. Oh and try to find more professional sources. :duh:

I'm not your "pal"...

What slant? The one YOU decided? Look, if you want to dig through threads just to stir the pot, be my guest. My own links? Give me a break. This story is everywhere, and I provided a handful to look at. One of which has a video form the cops car with audio and everything.

Any normal person would be charged with animal cruelty if they went on someone's property and shot their dog. Any normal person would have double checked the address. Any normal person whould have seen that this guy wasn't hispanic. Any normal person wouldn't have had to shoot a 40lb. dog. This guy shouldn't have to lock his dog up in fear that a cop may go to the wrong house and shoot his dog!

What if this guy was an off duty cop, and was playing with his K-9. Then the same actions take place. Would you have the same viewpoint?

How about you worry less about the source(s) and do a bit of your own research. The story is identical across the board, and the evidence is in the video.

Again, I'll ask you to show me where I blamed the cop. Next time you want to try and be a keyboard gangster, get your sh!t straight.]

Bottom line is, this guy was playing with his best friend, in his own yard, doing absolutely nothing wrong. Within seconds, he's being held at gunpoint, and his dog gets shot right in front of him. Only to have the cop question him as if the owner had done something wrong!

Last edited:

dontknowwhy

bottom line is this...the cops need to stop shooting innocent dogs & start shooting more innocent drug dealers, rapists, & hoodie wearing thugs

CraneTaker77

Everyone keeps saying that this dog is a Shepard type size dog. It's a Australian blue heeler cattle dog I thought those were a smaller dog. In the picture of "Cisco" he looks like a pretty small sized dog like a Jack Russell maybe a little big bigger. He doesn't look like he is the size of a Shepard style dog from the pictures.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I'm not your "pal"... awwww...rats! :frown:

What slant? The one YOU decided? Look, if you want to dig through threads just to stir the pot, be my guest. My own links? Ummmmm yea, you started the thread. Give me a break. This story is everywhere, and I provided a handful to look at. One of which has a video form the cops car with audio and everything.

Any normal person would be charged with animal cruelty if they went on someone's property and shot their dog. Any normal person would have double checked the address. Ummm...the caller gave them the wrong address. Don't you read the crap you post?? Any normal person whould have seen that this guy wasn't hispanic. Any normal person wouldn't have had to shoot a 40lb. dog. This guy shouldn't have to lock his dog up in fear that a cop may go to the wrong house and shoot his dog! Ummmm.... there are leash laws. Dogs do have to be locked up or on a leash. :coffee: (you really suck at this)

What if this guy was an off duty cop, and was playing with his K-9. Then the same actions take place. Would you have the same viewpoint? Yep!! And you'd think one cop would know another cop.

How about you worry less about the source(s) and do a bit of your own research. The story is identical across the board, and the evidence is in the video. I repeat, I don't have to research anything because it's YOUR thread!! You posted the info. Not my job to vet your sources.

Again, I'll ask you to show me where I blamed the cop. See below pal. (shooting fish in a barrel) Next time you want to try and be a keyboard gangster, get your sh!t straight.

Bottom line is, this guy was playing with his best friend, in his own yard, doing absolutely nothing wrong. Within seconds, he's being held at gunpoint, and his dog gets shot right in front of him. Only to have the cop question him as if the owner had done something wrong!
Ok pal, I see you're confused as to how online bulletin boards work so I'll cut you a little slack. I do not have to research ANYTHING when you start a thread and post links. I simply commented on YOUR links dummy.

Here, since you're a lil slow, I'll requote your posts blaming the police...

Post 1
Great job Mr. Officer....you should be proud...

Post 5
A similar incident occurred on Sept.11, 2011, and the APD and City Counsil determind that officers should get mandatory training on what to do when encountering pets.

Guess that didn't work out to well...

If a civilian went on someone's property and shot their dog, it's animal cruelty.
If a civilian shoots a police dog, it's life in prison.
If a cop does it, it's protecting and serving. Then the cops make this citizen (who did nothing wrong) feel as if he is in the wrong (the video says it all). Then, not so much as a sorry from the cop, or the supervisor.

This police state is getting out of control.

Post 7
It really blows my mind that there are these trigger happy idiots toting guns around, and they are there to protect US?

There's no excuse for any of the actions that played out.

1). Get the address right!
2). If you're looking for a hispanic couple, don't hold an unarmed white man at gun point.
3). You have multiple weapons at your disposal (pepper spray, tazer, baton, etc.) but this guy felt the need to draw a gun.
4). The dog was probably 40lbs....the cop was easily 200lbs. If you can't fend off an attack by a dog that is 1/4 of your weight. you should seriously re-think becoming a police officer.

I can go on..... :coffee:

Signed,

The Keyboard Gangsta

Chris0nllyn

Ok pal, I see you're confused as to how online bulletin boards work so I'll cut you a little slack. I do not have to research ANYTHING when you start a thread and post links. I simply commented on YOUR links dummy.

I can go on..... :coffee:

Signed,

The Keyboard Gangsta

Sorry, I didn't realize I asked you to comment on the links I posted instead of commenting about the story itself. I guess I should spell it out for those of you who need their hand held. I guess I shouldn't have expected an adult to do his own research on the story.

Ummmmm yea, you started the thread
Yes, yes I did start this thread. Good job pointing that out! Your point?

Ummm...the caller gave them the wrong address. Don't you read the crap you post??
Ummm...all I see is that the cops went to the wrong address to look for Jesus Rivas and Maria Hernandez. I guess verifying addresses doesn't come with the job huh? Yet, he holds this man at gun point. He wasn't going to a bank robbery. Why the need to go staright to his gun? He's got numerous non-lethal weapons at his disposal, and he chose his gun.

Ummmm.... there are leash laws. Dogs do have to be locked up or on a leash. (you really suck at this)
Leash laws, IN YOUR OWN YARD!? And I "really suck at this?"
Austin's own leash laws say:
City Code allows dogs to be without a leash in designated areas, provided that each dog remains under immediate personal supervision and command. The code states, “Patrons shall not permit a pet or other animal to remain unattended or create a disturbance or a hazard.”
and that's in a city park.

I'd say playing with your dog in your own backyard is under immediate control, wouldn't you?

You would think a cop knows another cop.
:eyebrow: That's got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. You can justify killing of a police dog because the cop should have recognized another cop in plain clothes?

I repeat, I don't have to research anything because it's YOUR thread!! You posted the info. Not my job to vet your sources.
So, you can rag on someone else for no researching, yet you feel you know enough about this story from my apparent unreliable sources to warrant your oh-so-educated opinion? But, you don't think you should do your own research? How on earth do you decide what candidate to vote for? You see Romney on TV, and automatically vote for him because you don't think you should do the research?

There's also 3 other sources I posted....incase you missed them

I'm quite familiar with forums actually. I'm not asking you to research, but if you want to comment on the story, you'd think you would want to look it up on your own. I didn't realize this was English class, and citing sources was the norm. Next time, before posting a story, I'll do a full background investigation just for you!

I still never blamed the officer in those posts. So, I'm confused as to what you're trying to accomplish here.

Last edited:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Sorry, I didn't realize I asked you to comment on the links I posted instead of commenting about the story itself. I guess I should spell it out for those of you who need their hand held. I guess I shouldn't have expected an adult to do his own research on the story.

Yes, yes I did start this thread. Good job pointing that out! Your point?

Ummm...all I see is that the cops went to the wrong address to look for Jesus Rivas and Maria Hernandez. I guess verifying addresses doesn't come with the job huh? Yet, he holds this man at gun point. He wasn't going to a bank robbery. Why the need to go staright to his gun? He's got numerous non-lethal weapons at his disposal, and he chose his gun.

Leash laws, IN YOUR OWN YARD!? And I "really suck at this?"
Austin's own leash laws say:
and that's in a city park.

I'd say playing with your dog in your own backyard is under immediate control, wouldn't you?

:eyebrow: That's got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. You can justify killing of a police dog because the cop should have recognized another cop in plain clothes?

So, you can rag on someone else for no researching, yet you feel you know enough about this story from my apparent unreliable sources to warrant your oh-so-educated opinion? But, you don't think you should do your own research? How on earth do you decide what candidate to vote for? You see Romney on TV, and automatically vote for him because you don't think you should do the research?

There's also 3 other sources I posted....incase you missed them

I'm quite familiar with forums actually. I'm not asking you to research, but if you want to comment on the story, you'd think you would want to look it up on your own. I didn't realize this was English class, and citing sources was the norm. Next time, before posting a story, I'll do a full background investigation just for you!

I still never blamed the officer in those posts. So, I'm confused as to what you're trying to accomplish here.
Well buddy after reading this I am reminded of the old saying:

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. I'm bowing out but you keep posting so more folks can see what a moron you are. :notworthy

I sure hope you never procreate.

Chris0nllyn

Well buddy after reading this I am reminded of the old saying:

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. I'm bowing out but you keep posting so more folks can see what a moron you are. :notworthy:

I sure hope you never procreate.

What's that other saying....

"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen".

:wah:

Gargoyle

"Ummm...all I see is that the cops went to the wrong address to look for Jesus Rivas and Maria Hernandez. I guess verifying addresses doesn't come with the job huh? Yet, he holds this man at gun point. He wasn't going to a bank robbery. Why the need to go staright to his gun? He's got numerous non-lethal weapons at his disposal, and he chose his gun."

The officer went to the address he was dispatched to....so the blame would go to the dispatcher or person who gave the wrong address.

Numerous non-lethal weapons to stop a charging dog? 10-15 % OC won't stop a dog from attacking, seen it first hand. Tazer through a dogs furr would be hit or miss, no pun intended. Club maybe if he was carrying one and could pull it out in time? A few second at best reaction time to decide.

It's extremely unfortunate that the dog was killed.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
"Ummm...all I see is that the cops went to the wrong address to look for Jesus Rivas and Maria Hernandez. I guess verifying addresses doesn't come with the job huh? Yet, he holds this man at gun point. He wasn't going to a bank robbery. Why the need to go staright to his gun? He's got numerous non-lethal weapons at his disposal, and he chose his gun."

The officer went to the address he was dispatched to....so the blame would go to the dispatcher or person who gave the wrong address.

Numerous non-lethal weapons to stop a charging dog? 10-15 % OC won't stop a dog from attacking, seen it first hand. Tazer through a dogs furr would be hit or miss, no pun intended. Club maybe if he was carrying one and could pull it out in time? A few second at best reaction time to decide.

Shhhhh..... Chris doesn't like facts. He'd rather blame the police.

It is a shame the dog got killed.

Gargoyle

"I'd say playing with your dog in your own backyard is under immediate control, wouldn't you? "

Obviously not if the dog was attacking.

Question would be if it was indeed attacking or just defending at owner's side and just barking?

Chris0nllyn

Where did you find that info that the cop was dispatched wrong info?

Height: Males 17-20 inches (43-51cm) Females 17-19 inches (43-48cm)
Weight: Males 32-35 pounds (15-16kg) Females 30-35 pounds (14-16kg)

Seems like a pretty small dog for a big man.

Again, why did the cop draw his gun on an unarmed man in the first place?

% concentration is one thing, but the SHU units is what burns. You can have 5% OC spray with 2,000,000 SHU. But, who's to say this dog was attacking him? You walk in my house, and my dog is going to bark and run up to you. You walk on my property, and she would do the same thing. It's what dogs do.

It is unfortunate, and I'm not downplaying that.

Chris0nllyn

Shhhhh..... Chris doesn't like facts. He'd rather blame the police.

It is a shame the dog got killed.

I though you were done here?

:buttkick:

Obviously not if the dog was attacking.

Question would be if it was indeed attacking or just defending at owner's side and just barking?

That wording is for having dogs in a park. There's no law for having a dog on your property.

Would have never happend if the cop had verified the address.

It's a dog....of course it's going to come barking if he hear's the owner being yelled at.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I though you were done here? Done trying to explain simple things to you. I will continue to post to other posters. :coffee:

Would have never happend if the cop had verified the address. The cop went to the address he was given!! JFC you're dense!! :smack:

It's a dog....of course it's going to come barking if he hear's the owner being yelled at.
How old are you Chris? 13?