OK folks It's supposed to go down to 19 tonight.

Hijinx

If you haven't unhooked your garden hose and covered you outside faucet, maybe you better do so tonight.
19 is cold enough to do some serious damage. You might even let some water drip in the sink if you own an older home.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
If you haven't unhooked your garden hose and covered you outside faucet, maybe you better do so tonight.
19 is cold enough to do some serious damage. You might even let some water drip in the sink if you own an older home.
:yay: I winterized my outside hose bibbs at the beginning of November. Should be good to go! 🙏

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Did mine a couple days a go, looking at the long range forecast. My app shows a low of 26* tonight, but still a hard freeze.

Bann

PREMO Member
If you winterize shut off the hose bibbs, drain them, take the hose off, turn off the water supply TO them) do you need to cover them? I've never done that.

I have a townhouse, so those are the only two pipes along an outside wall. Except 1 bathroom which might be, but that's never frozen, either.

Last year, my neighbor - a doctor - had a leak in his townhouse. He apparently HAD NO IDEA FOR I HAVE NO IDEA HOW LONG. He was upstairs and the leak happened someplace in the front of the TH between the ground level and ceiling of the first level. The way HE found out was that I came out to go to work and saw a wide swath of partially frozen water in front of my front steps to the sidewalk. :yikes: I followed that water to my right and saw that it was pouring out of HIS FRONT DOOR! It took me about 30 seconds to figure out what the hell was going on! I was thinking the whole house was flooded, because how could water be pouring out of the top of the door down? (sharknado!)

I rang the doorbell, I knocked and banged on the door and about about a minute of that, I called 911 and reported it. They called the county emergency water number, too. I didn't want to take time to call all those numbers. They did it for me, Then sent some deputies out. By the time they got there, my neighbor finally answered my frantic knocking. He had been getting ready for work, and didn't hear the knocks, but was so disoriented about the water (about 3 inches deep on the floor and pouring down from the ceiling. The first thing I said to him was "you need to go shut off the water in your house!"

He didn't know where it was. I had to go show him. Turns out it was a burst pipe - and I'm pretty sure it was because he didn't drain the hose bibb. He had no idea it was leaking OVERNIGHT.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
No hoses attached out in the open. I actually turned the heat up to 69° because I couldn't get the chill off, even with my blankie.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Thank you for the reminder. With all that has been going on I totally forgot about it.
Ran around and just disconnected the hoses.

Hijinx

If you winterize shut off the hose bibbs, drain them, take the hose off, turn off the water supply TO them) do you need to cover them? I've never done that.

I have a townhouse, so those are the only two pipes along an outside wall. Except 1 bathroom which might be, but that's never frozen, either.

Last year, my neighbor - a doctor - had a leak in his townhouse. He apparently HAD NO IDEA FOR I HAVE NO IDEA HOW LONG. He was upstairs and the leak happened someplace in the front of the TH between the ground level and ceiling of the first level. The way HE found out was that I came out to go to work and saw a wide swath of partially frozen water in front of my front steps to the sidewalk. :yikes: I followed that water to my right and saw that it was pouring out of HIS FRONT DOOR! It took me about 30 seconds to figure out what the hell was going on! I was thinking the whole house was flooded, because how could water be pouring out of the top of the door down? (sharknado!)

I rang the doorbell, I knocked and banged on the door and about about a minute of that, I called 911 and reported it. They called the county emergency water number, too. I didn't want to take time to call all those numbers. They did it for me, Then sent some deputies out. By the time they got there, my neighbor finally answered my frantic knocking. He had been getting ready for work, and didn't hear the knocks, but was so disoriented about the water (about 3 inches deep on the floor and pouring down from the ceiling. The first thing I said to him was "you need to go shut off the water in your house!"

He didn't know where it was. I had to go show him. Turns out it was a burst pipe - and I'm pretty sure it was because he didn't drain the hose bibb. He had no idea it was leaking OVERNIGHT.
If they had a decent plumber when the home was built they installed a freeze proof faucet on the outside wall. My home is over a hundred years old, I know the one faucet that I had put in has one, but I am not sure of the other so I cover it. My water pump and storage tank is outside and mostly underground so i put a light bulb in it to keep it from freezing also.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
My water pump and storage tank is outside and mostly underground so i put a light bulb in it to keep it from freezing also.

One of those Planet Killing, Polar Bear Hating, Global Warming bulbs? :tantrum :tantrum :tantrum

:gretaweeps:

Clem72

I take the hoses off, but never really do anything else to winterize the outside taps. They come straight through from the ceiling of my conditioned basement (not along the wall) so I figure they are unlikely to freeze. Haven't had an issue yet, but maybe i have been lucky?

phreddyp

Yep the garden is done, picked the last tomatoes and peppers yesterday, banana plants have gone to sleep. Still got some herbs though.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I take the hoses off, but never really do anything else to winterize the outside taps. They come straight through from the ceiling of my conditioned basement (not along the wall) so I figure they are unlikely to freeze. Haven't had an issue yet, but maybe i have been lucky?
In this area, not likely you'll have a real issue, long extended deep freeze doesn't happen often, but don't forget that kitchen pipes that run up the inside wall can freeze. Copper conducts cold very well, so it's possible for the cold to travel up the pipe and freeze the interior valve.

I turn off my inside valves, open and drain the outside tap, and cover with a foam protector. Why tempt fate?

Bann

PREMO Member
If they had a decent plumber when the home was built they installed a freeze proof faucet on the outside wall. My home is over a hundred years old, I know the one faucet that I had put in has one, but I am not sure of the other so I cover it. My water pump and storage tank is outside and mostly underground so i put a light bulb in it to keep it from freezing also.
Yeah.... well, the builder did not have a great rep, as I came to find out after purchasing. :lol: