Older dogs and snow

CaneCorso

Just curious but has anyone ever had an older dog become disoriented from walking on snow that has a crust on it from it being so cold? It was kind of funny at first but as he kept going through the crust the more disoriented he became almost falling down when he lifted his leg to urinate in fact if it wasn't for the bush he would have gone down...

mamatutu

mama to two
Just curious but has anyone ever had an older dog become disoriented from walking on snow that has a crust on it from it being so cold? It was kind of funny at first but as he kept going through the crust the more disoriented he became almost falling down when he lifted his leg to urinate in fact if it wasn't for the bush he would have gone down...

That happened with our Oreo in the last year of her life. She died in June of 2012. She was a black lab/greyhound and would fly like the wind over any terrain, and would come home sometimes limping with a hurt paw. We have 10 acres so she wasn't roaming on anyone else's property. She was bitten at one point by a copperhead or black widow; we never knew which, but she rebounded. She was mostly blind in her last year (died at 15) and seemed awkward in the snow even though she loved it always. I agree with Cgrandma. It is hard for us to watch our animals decline. I know your concern. Just let your best furry friend do his thing even if he falls down. Believe it or not, he is happy no matter what. Maybe, it is joint issues. Oreo had that, too, at the end. Have you tried glucosamine for dogs? But, at least, we know we gave them a wonderful life. :smile:

Last edited:

CaneCorso

Could be, the sun was almost down however I've thought I've his eyesight is getting worse but maybe I underestimated how bad. The thing was he had been standing there a second or two before he lost his balance

CaneCorso

:
That happened with ur Oreo in the last year of her life. She died in June of 2012. She was a black lab/greyhound and would fly like the wind over any terrain, and would come home sometimes limping with a hurt paw. We have 10 acres so she wasn't roaming on anyone else's property. She was bitten at one point by a copperhead or black widow; we never knew which, but she rebounded. She was mostly blind in her last year (died at 15) and seemed awkward in the snow even though she loved it always. I agree with Cgrandma. It is hard for us to watch our animals decline. I know your concern. Just let your best furry friend do his thing even if he falls down. Believe it or not, he is happy no matter what. Maybe, it is joint issues. Oreo had that, too, at the end. Have you tried glucosamine for dogs? But, at least, we know we gave them a wonderful life. :smile:
Interesting 3-4 years ago he was bitten by something by his nose. I thought Brown Recluse but the vet thought Black Widow or Centipede... either way he had a nasty hole at the bite and the next weekend I bombed the house... :lmao:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Did his butthole touch the snow? Or maybe his butthole has touched the snow before and he was trying to avoid it. :shrug:

mamatutu

mama to two
: Interesting 3-4 years ago he was bitten by something by his nose. I thought Brown Recluse but the vet thought Black Widow or Centipede... either way he had a nasty hole at the bite and the next weekend I bombed the house... :lmao:

That is funny or not funny. People debate on this forum if we have brown recluse in MD, or not. I know we do. I have seen two in the sticky traps my exterminator leaves and verified over the last 15 years. I never bombed my house though! :lmao: I hope your pup does better and enjoys the rest of his life. He is just glad to be with you.
The fact that you ask questions shows how much you love him. I am one of the people on this forum that will always be here for members that need to talk about their animals; especially the ones getting on in years. :smile:

CaneCorso

I know we have Brown Recluse spiders here, when I worked on Base the hanger next to us would ship creates here from all over and during one summer a guy got bit by one and another guy killed another one at the smoke pit and my place is less than 3 miles from the hanger

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I know thats something I always try to avoid.

I'd imagine it would be just awful... being so low to the ground, shoved out the door having to squat in a freezing cold patch of snow to do your business.

Our puppy hasn't encountered snow until this week and you could tell when that cold snow hit her butthole... because she jumped out of it real quick. My older dog does her turns carefully, nearly tipping over to avoid that cold clip.