Open Discussion: Children Left in Cars

PeoplesElbow

He didn't forget that child existed. It really not fair to paint this guy that way. I am certain he loved and thought about his child. He made a horrible mistake, he bears that responsibility. he didn't forget his child existed, he thought his son was safe at daycare.

I disagree with this assessment, possibly later in the day he may have but when he got out of the car I doubt he thought his son was at daycare, I think he got distracted with whatever and just didn't think about it.

Now his wife on the other hand did think her son was safe at daycare.

MarieB

I disagree with this assessment, possibly later in the day he may have but when he got out of the car I doubt he thought his son was at daycare, I think he got distracted with whatever and just didn't think about it.

It's not just his assessment. Read that WAPost article about how the memory works

Midnightrider

If he didn't think his kid was safe at daycare he would have done something other than go to work just like any other day. I agree that he was obviously distracted and not thinking directly about it, but in the back of his mind his kid was somewhere safe and not in danger.

Unless of course facts reveal that this was intentional. Although I seriously doubt that will be the case.

acommondisaster

No, not "there but for the grace of god". God had nothing to do with that baby's death. It wasn't "one of those things" and it didn't "just happen". Allow this man to take responsibility for what he did. That is the only way he'll heal, is to come to terms with it and shine a cold hard light on it. Pooh poohing it will never let it heal.

The saying has nothing to do with the baby's death, either. It's more to do with recognizing someone's misfortune and realizing it could happen to anyone (add or don't add the God reference).

I hope and pray the family gets good counseling and is able to heal. As I said in the deleted thread, I can't imagine what that man is going through, knowing that he is responsible. For those of you who insist he must pay for his negligence, please tell me what would be worse than the situation he created? What good does jail do?

acommondisaster

Sorry, folks, every single person I've relayed this story to has said, "How in the hell does that happen??"

Exactly. No one expects that they could or would do this. It's unfathomable. I don't think it's a crime in the sense that you seem to. I'm not sure how you know he was on the phone - I read that he was preoccupied with getting to a meeting, perhaps being closer to the base, you know more of the story. Still not an excuse, but there is no excuse, and I, for one, would never soft pedal what happened. He is responsible for the death of his dear beloved son. No indignation on your part or my part serves any purpose or punishes him more than he already is. A completely avoidable situation that he is solely to blame for. Stop being pissed at him, it doesn't help anyone.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...e0fe3a-f580-11e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html

I'm assuming you can read.. sorry, couldn't find one with pictographs and pages for you to color.

I read about half of that article, half way in I thought it was total BS and couldn't read it anymore. Given it's from the liberal Washington Post who's in favor of abortion I expected no less, all it does is makes excuses for negligent parents.

Since the WP is so liberal it goes along with thinking pedophilia is a disease, that right there should tell you that anything they write will be skewed to absolve anyone of their actions.

Last edited:

GW8345

Not White House Approved
One other thing, people say it could happen to anyone....BS!!!!!!!!

Getting hit by lightning can happen to anyone, forgetting your kid in the back seat of your car TWICE can't just happen to anyone, it happens to a negligent parent.

Midnightrider

I read about half of that article, half way in I thought it was total BS and couldn't read it anymore. Given it's from the liberal Washington Post who's in favor of abortion I expected no less, all it does is makes excuses for negligent parents.

Since the WP is so liberal it goes along with thinking pedophilia is a disease, that right there should tell you that anything they write will be skewed to absolve anyone of their actions.

You are an idiot, a tool, and an ass with no compassion. You should shut your trap and let the local family that is suffering through this tragedy do so without you judging them.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
You are an idiot, a tool, and an ass with no compassion. You should shut your trap and let the local family that is suffering through this tragedy do so without you judging them.

Your an eff'ing hypocrite, you tell me not to judge someone yet you've judged others on this site all the time. I am not posting this for the local family, if they read this thread then that's on them.

My compassion is for the child, I'm not a bleeding heart who thinks it's understandable for a parent to be negligent in the car of their child(ren).

mitzi

If you're going to say something stupid like I endangered my children by smoking around them, let me first tell you that both of my kids were perfectly healthy and rarely got so much as a cold. They did not have asthma, ADD, peanut allergies, nor did either of them have low birth weight. They are now healthy adults with healthy children of their own.

Now, would you still like to say I endangered my ridiculously healthy children by smoking? Because you're going to have to prove that, which will be difficult considering their medical history.

:yay:

Midnightrider

Your an eff'ing hypocrite, you tell me not to judge someone yet you've judged others on this site all the time. I am not posting this for the local family, if they read this thread then that's on them.

My compassion is for the child, I'm not a bleeding heart who thinks it's understandable for a parent to be negligent in the car of their child(ren).

You are just an ####### who thinks its appropriate to denigrate someone who has made a horrific mistake and the family suffering through this tragedy.

What you say is 'on you'

MarieB

You shouldn't discount the rest of the article.

mitzi

LOL

I don't have to "prove" anything, numbnuts. If you smoked around your children, you endangered them. The fact that you don't think there are any lasting medical conditions is irrelevant. That's like drinking and driving with your kid in the car and saying "I didn't endanger them, because I didn't wreck."

Do you ever go over the speed limit with your child in the car? Everyone endangers their children in one way or another and don't realize it. This is a far cry from what happened to the baby in the car. He was forgotten and he died.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

What a closed minded ignorant #### you are.. can't even read a simple article because it doesn't fall in line with your beliefs.. the evidence and the research says you're wrong, and you're a total #######.. doesn't matter if you read it or not. Totally close minded moron..

Sure YOU aren't the Liberal?

rmorse

Do you ever go over the speed limit with your child in the car? Everyone endangers their children in one way or another and don't realize it. This is a far cry from what happened to the baby in the car. He was forgotten and he died.

I don't have kids. That being said, I 100% agree. Everyone endangers their kids. Vrai, however, had repeatedly insisted that she has never endangered her kid. THAT is what I (and others) were calling her out on.

The fact that she thinks her second hand smoke didn't endanger her kids is laughable. I mean, I'm seriously stunned. It's hilarious.

rmorse

Are you being serious right now? I'd like you to take a step back and think about what you just agreed to. You just agreed that second hand smoke does not harm children.... I mean, for real? Do you really believe that?

mitzi

I wonder if things like this happen in other western countries that have a slower pace of life.

Does it also happen in the winter months but because it doesn't cause deaths it goes unreported?

I read several stories last winter that it did happen.

mitzi

Are you being serious right now? I'd like you to take a step back and think about what you just agreed to. You just agreed that second hand smoke does not harm children.... I mean, for real? Do you really believe that?

That wasn't what I meant. I know it does. I agreed that it wasn't a comparison to forgetting about your baby. My other post says we all endanger our children sometimes in one way or another but I can't compare it to forgetting your baby all day with an extra trip out to the car. I just can't.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
What a closed minded ignorant #### you are.. can't even read a simple article because it doesn't fall in line with your beliefs.. the evidence and the research says you're wrong, and you're a total #######.. doesn't matter if you read it or not. Totally close minded moron..

Sure YOU aren't the Liberal?

So I'm supposed to believe what the WP writes, even their stance on global warming.

You know, when you have to resort to name calling, you've lost all credibility.

And I'm not closed minded, I just don't believe there's a valid excuse for forgetting your child in a car.