Out of County Children going to School.......

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Are they throwing the bidding process out the window?

This leads me to believe the builders for the new schools for the next few years have already been chosen?

I thought a school needs to be built - it is put out to bid - school is built... cycle starts again. Or am I missing something?

I'm sorry clevalley, I didn't make myself clear. Residential homebuilders pay a fee (now $16,500) to the county for each lot. This money is collected to help fund school construction (not built by the residential homebuilder). There are a lot of holes in the way the plan is implemented. For example, say a home is planning on being built in one school district but there are no more seats in that area, the permit can be issued. However, the seat is given from another school district. Growth is expanding so rapidly, that permits over the last three years have been issued based on 'paper' seats (schools scheduled to be built, but not yet started). It's basically a big three card monte game of moving money from under one shell to another. It would appear that since our government can't seem to manage revenues very well, that the money being paid by the builders is going to fund trailers instead of new schools.

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
I'm so glad I'm bailing out soon. Selling my overpriced house and moving to another state where this crap isn't an issue just yet.

I'm sorry clevalley, I didn't make myself clear. Residential homebuilders pay a fee (now $16,500) to the county for each lot. This money is collected to help fund school construction (not built by the residential homebuilder). There are a lot of holes in the way the plan is implemented. For example, say a home is planning on being built in one school district but there are no more seats in that area, the permit can be issued. However, the seat is given from another school district. Growth is expanding so rapidly, that permits over the last three years have been issued based on 'paper' seats (schools scheduled to be built, but not yet started). It's basically a big three card monte game of moving money from under one shell to another. It would appear that since our government can't seem to manage revenues very well, that the money being paid by the builders is going to fund trailers instead of new schools.

Oh geez - that is a mess... go figure, I try my hardest to vote out the mess in the local government but it never seems to work...

I would hate to 'pull chocks' and move somewhere else, but I love my hometown... I just hate how it is managed.

Thanks for clearing that up!

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Oh geez - that is a mess... go figure, I try my hardest to vote out the mess in the local government but it never seems to work...

I would hate to 'pull chocks' and move somewhere else, but I love my hometown... I just hate how it is managed.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Charles County administration at the moment is in a state of flux. Many top officials have resigned for whatever reason. Replacements have to get up to speed and in some cases, haven't been replaced. That puts a heck of a workload on some of the workers. Building permits are on hold for awhile until they get the mess straightened out. And that's just trying to deal with the current situation. Lord knows what's going to happen after O'Malley calls for the special legislative session and we get more rules, regulations and taxes. I just want to know how Maryland can go from a surplus to a major deficit in 10 months! Maybe O'Malley is paying his top people too much.

:duel: