Papal Mass in Washington will be in Spanish.....

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link

"WASHINGTON — When Pope Francis celebrates a canonization Mass for a Spanish-American missionary in Washington this month, he will do so in a language that the new saint, Junipero Serra, would recognize: Spanish.

There's a number of reasons for that, said Cardinal Donald Wuerl, the archbishop of Washington who will be hosting the pope on the Washington leg of his three-city U.S. visit later this month.

First, Spanish is the pope's mother tongue; he was born in Argentina.

"But it’s also a recognition of how large the Hispanic population in the United States is," Wuerl said. "And also because he is canonizing a Spanish speaker. And he's coming as the first pope from the New World, and the language, the predominant language of the Western Hemisphere, is Spanish."

Hispanics make up one-third of the U.S. Catholic church. "They're the biggest source of population growth in the church," said Julia Young, a professor at the Catholic University of America, a pontifically chartered university in Washington, who has written about the history of Hispanic Catholics in America.

"But most Latinos and Hispanics, coming here from counties that are majority Catholic, are facing challenges to their Catholic identity. There have been a number of Pentecostal denominations that have been appealing to that community and have been making inroads," she said. "So from the perspective of the institutional church, which obviously wants to keep people in the church, there's a real need to reach out to the next generation of Latinos and make sure they’re becoming part of the church."

Hijinx

Link

"WASHINGTON — When Pope Francis celebrates a canonization Mass for a Spanish-American missionary in Washington this month, he will do so in a language that the new saint, Junipero Serra, would recognize: Spanish.

There's a number of reasons for that, said Cardinal Donald Wuerl, the archbishop of Washington who will be hosting the pope on the Washington leg of his three-city U.S. visit later this month.

First, Spanish is the pope's mother tongue; he was born in Argentina.

"But it’s also a recognition of how large the Hispanic population in the United States is," Wuerl said. "And also because he is canonizing a Spanish speaker. And he's coming as the first pope from the New World, and the language, the predominant language of the Western Hemisphere, is Spanish."

Hispanics make up one-third of the U.S. Catholic church. "They're the biggest source of population growth in the church," said Julia Young, a professor at the Catholic University of America, a pontifically chartered university in Washington, who has written about the history of Hispanic Catholics in America.

"But most Latinos and Hispanics, coming here from counties that are majority Catholic, are facing challenges to their Catholic identity. There have been a number of Pentecostal denominations that have been appealing to that community and have been making inroads," she said. "So from the perspective of the institutional church, which obviously wants to keep people in the church, there's a real need to reach out to the next generation of Latinos and make sure they’re becoming part of the church."

They might think about reaching out to Americans who speak English and are dropping out of the Church also.

CrashTest

Of Hispanics who take the SAT exam, only 23% are deemed ready for college. This Mass in Spanish should help improve that.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
You dummies do know he doesn't speak that much English, yes? The little English I've heard him speak has been broken.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
lol! Pope Francis speaks three languages fluently; Spanish, Italian and German. "the predominant language of the Western Hemisphere, is Spanish"

H

Hodr

lol! Pope Francis speaks three languages fluently; Spanish, Italian and German. "the predominant language of the Western Hemisphere, is Spanish"

I bet he's decent at Latin too.

It strikes me as funny that the only people who are/will complain about this mass being in Spanish are likely non-Catholics. So why do they care?

BigBlue

I bet he's decent at Latin too.

It strikes me as funny that the only people who are/will complain about this mass being in Spanish are likely non-Catholics. So why do they care?

LOL ,well played . Do they know he'll be saying Mass in different states and maybe one of those are in English ?

CrashTest

If I may ...

It was the great one, Obama, that said we had better start to learn spanish, wasn't it?

An estimated 400 million people speak English as their native language.

An estimated 1 billion people speak English as their 2nd language.

English is the most spoken language on planet earth.

International air traffic control actually mandates English.

Why? Because English is the language of success.

Strawberry plantations in California mandate Spanish.

edinsomd

Ask the thread starter why the language of the Mass is even news worthy, especially when the saint being canonized speaks the language in question?

The saint being canonized speaks? Wow, now THATS a magic show I'd like to spectate!

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

I know your using huffy as your "facts", but I'm doubting that Spanish is the "predominant" language of the Americas. Most of North America is english, half of South America is Portugese.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Why is this a thing? The man speaks 3 languages, and 1 of them is not Engrish. So what if he speaks in one of his 3 languages?