Parents Behaving Badly...

sockgirl77

If the coach is going to be ok with noise makers at a Sunday youth basketball league of middle school kids then he/she is coaching for the wrong reason. When you are coaching kids of that age you are teaching them to love and have fun with the game and good sportsmanship. Not to say it is ok to make loud noises when a kid is trying it's best to make a free throw. I have been to a few of this games this year and most of this kids are there to have fun playing basketball with their friends and most are having a hard time just get getting the ball up and down the court more less making a free throw. So I think is great that the league has said something. And if the coach say why cant I because there is no rule about it. Then he/she needs to take a deep look at their self and ask why they are coaching this game.

The coach really did not have anything to do with this other than trying to split people up. He was just stating that there was no rule in place about the noisemaker. He said that he was fine with them not allowing any noisemakers. He was not sitting with the people that had the noisemaker. Making noise when a kid is attempting a free throw shot IS part of the game. These are not 6 year olds. These are 12 and 13 year olds. They should be able to shoot through the distraction. What happens when the kids are playing high school basketball next year and it's twice as loud? Hell, the punks that I went to HS with had boat air horns and they were allowed to use them.

sockgirl77

what does that have to do with noise makers? besides the cheerleaders who are there to cheer and have the crowd hear them, i only saw objects that were visually obstructive, not obnoxious and deafening.

You do not think that those screaming fans are obnoxious? And this "horn" was a damn piece of plastic that made a bellowing sound, not a damn air horn. It's certainly not a deafening sound.

7dgirl

The coach knew the noise makers were there and by him telling them not to do it during free throws then he is just as guilty. your are right they are not six years old. but 95% of the kids playing will never step foot on acourt in high school. this kids are playing it because it is the cool thing to do at the school.

sockgirl77

The coach knew the noise makers were there and by him telling them not to do it during free throws then he is just as guilty. your are right they are not six years old. but 95% of the kids playing will never step foot on acourt in high school. this kids are playing it because it is the cool thing to do at the school.

Umm...where did you hear that the coach had anything to do with this?

sockgirl77

i know who the coach is and i saw his smiles during all of this and laughing it up after the game with people involed.

Oh bull####! I've known that coach for over 10 years. Not only is he a dedicated coach, but he's professional.

sockgirl77

and i have know him for even longer and i know how he is when it comes to playing sports.

Obviously we're talking about 2 different coaches. The coach that I know is a short guy with red hair. Not only is he a great coach but he has a very timid character.

MMDad

Lem Putt
You do not think that those screaming fans are obnoxious? And this "horn" was a damn piece of plastic that made a bellowing sound, not a damn air horn. It's certainly not a deafening sound.

Was it one of those long trumpet things? Or was it merely a cone that you yell through like in your picture? If it was one of those long trumpet things, they can be very loud. If the kid was blowing it in someones ear, was asked not to, and continued, then I can understand the reaction.

Did the adult hit the kid? Or slam him against the wall? Or did he just stop the kid from blowing the horn?

Since there are no reports of cops being called or anyone charged with assault, sounds like the adult showed restraint and did not hit a kid that probably deserved it.

Last edited:
Whether the noisemakers are "allowed" or not, they're annoying as all get out. Ugh and the parents that yell, scream and stomp, jump up and down and carry on like lunatics, 'dissing' and 'badmouthing' the other team, coaches and/or refs.....gah! :banghead:

sonsorae

What now?!
Actually, Ryken has a policy that air horns or any type of noise makers other than clapping with hands are not allowed at games. It's their sports handbook.

Air horns should be banned from indoor sports. And those parents should be banned from returning.

TPD

the poor dad
Was it the SMS parents causing the raucous? I've been out of town for the last couple of days, so will ask my wife this evening what the deal was - she attended the games this weekend with my daughter, who is on the SMS team.

Oh yeah - go SMS BOYS basketball team!! Final game this Wednesday - be sure to attend with all your fellow noisemakers.

TPD

the poor dad
Actually, Ryken has a policy that air horns or any type of noise makers other than clapping with hands are not allowed at games. It's their sports handbook.

But their sports handbook probably does not apply to organizations that use/rent their gym, such is the case here with SYBL.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
was it the sms parents causing the raucous? I've been out of town for the last couple of days, so will ask my wife this evening what the deal was - she attended the games this weekend with my daughter, who is on the sms team.

Oh yeah - go sms boys basketball team!! Final game this wednesday - be sure to attend with all your fellow noisemakers.

sms.

BOP

If you blow into one of those plastic things it makes a bellowing nose. I'm not sure if that was the exact shape of it but it was something similar. For as long as I've been going to basketball games, the crowd has always tried to distract the opposing team's players when they were attempting to make free throws. Regardless, no adult has a right to jack up someone else's kid against the wall!

That's the third time you've said that on this one page alone. You might want to examine your own issues.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Let me add some REAL prostate power to your pissing contest ...

It is a youth coach's responsibility to adhere to the rules of the league AND to enforce those rules upon ANY offending parents. Any parents that cannot curb their behavior are to be told to leave the area until the game is over and if they refuse the game is to be forfeited.

I've had to call down a couple of parents over the past couple of seasons because of yelling at the refs.

I also blame the referees and the opposing team's coach in this situation. The officials are there for a reason and they need(ed) to exercise their authority and the opposing coach would have been well within his rights (as per league rules banning noisemakers) to lodge a complaint and pull his kids off the floor.