Passlock on 1998 GMC C2500 Work Truck

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
It's once more time again to try to bypass GM's wonderful abortion of a security system called Passlock. All the articles I've referenced are for consumer vehicles as opposed to commercial ones that don't have a chip in the key. I imagine that was invented so that fleet owners didn't have to pay big $ when Pedro lost the keys down the port-o-john for the sixth time this month. Anyone familiar with the process?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Okay, somehow I remembered the procedure which is a miracle in itself. I'll answer my own question in case someone else runs into this ignition type and is at wits end. When the battery goes completely dead or the vehicle sits without a battery for a period of time, Passlock will disable the fuel pump after running several seconds after a good battery is installed in the vehicle. This might not work for all, but may help some.

1. Lock the passenger side door.
2. Touch battery terminals together momentarily and wait approximately 3 minutes.
3. Reconnect the battery and disable DRLs if so equipped.
4. Sitting in the driver's seat, turn on ignition and bump the starter, returning the key to the run position.
5. Exit vehicle and lock drivers side door with a spare key.
6. Let vehicle sit with ignition on and door locked for an hour.
7. Unlock door and return ignition key to the off position.
8. Start vehicle as you normally would.

At this point, Passlock should be reset. I've posted this on just answer dot com in the suggestion section, but old Roy is so arrogant at times, I probably won't get credit. I hope this helps someone else reset GM's Passlock system.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
WT Actual F
IKR?! I found this procedure on the www when my son owned the truck and we swapped the ignition cylinder 6 or 7 years ago. Recently searching for it proved futile. I had a revelation the other day and decided to give it a try and this worked. You may not need to do everything listed, but that's what worked for me!