Pellet Stove Owners

I know of someone who uses those. Very little dust and great quality. :yay::yay:

:killingme Thanx! I should have read back thru this post, Lignetics was mentioned more than once as being decent... Their pallet price is the same as I was paying for Pennington at WallyMart, and I really don't like those, so I may just get a pallet load from McKays....

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
:killingme Thanx! I should have read back thru this post, Lignetics was mentioned more than once as being decent... Their pallet price is the same as I was paying for Pennington at WallyMart, and I really don't like those, so I may just get a pallet load from McKays....

Let me know if you feel the same about their quality. They leave very little ash and burn slow and even.

OldHillcrestGuy

Let me know if you feel the same about their quality. They leave very little ash and burn slow and even.

Ive burned the Lignetics before and in my case found them to have more ash then the Hamar's I get from American Hardware. True Value also sells the Lignetics and sells the pallet for $249 also I believe.
When I started this tread I was asking about Pennington's pellets and I have had my problems with them, first couple of bags seemed to burn fine so I went back to Sam's Club and bought a ton to split between myself and my son. ($190 a ton). Then my problems started they began to jam in the augar area, so Ive gone back to my Hamar's and I now sometimes mix Hamars with the Pennington's in the pellet hopper and mix them up real good (sift through with my hands a mix them up good) and I havent had anymore problems. My son isnt having problems with the Pennington's and says they are burning good with little ash, and we have the same pellet stove.

Ive burned the Lignetics before and in my case found them to have more ash then the Hamar's I get from American Hardware. True Value also sells the Lignetics and sells the pallet for $249 also I believe.
When I started this tread I was asking about Pennington's pellets and I have had my problems with them, first couple of bags seemed to burn fine so I went back to Sam's Club and bought a ton to split between myself and my son. ($190 a ton). Then my problems started they began to jam in the augar area, so Ive gone back to my Hamar's and I now sometimes mix Hamars with the Pennington's in the pellet hopper and mix them up real good (sift through with my hands a mix them up good) and I havent had anymore problems. My son isnt having problems with the Pennington's and says they are burning good with little ash, and we have the same pellet stove.

I remember you mentioning the issues you had. The Pennington is real hit-or-miss as far as how much sawdust is in the bag. If it were me, I would have designed a sawdust trap at the bottom of the hopper to prevent the clogs in the auger. Recently, I've had trouble with one bag burning with a high flame, then the next a low flame, sometimes low enough to make it turn off. Annoying when you want it to run overnight.... I'm down to 10 bags of the Pennington, so I thought I'd try another brand.

Country Boy - there is a distributor in Fredericksburg, VA - and in Gambrills, MD. Nothing close around here... they are manufactured from a hardwood flooring manufacturer. Kiln dried processed hardwood is sawed into usable pieces, then routed/formed. All of the sawing/milling equipments exhaust goes to the pelletizer machine - no bark, no dirt, all pure hardwood... they blow Hamer and Lignetics away...

GWguy - I am like 99.99999% sure it is Glover Enterprises - (540) 371-5200 - not much info on the site...

Hamer and Lignetics - a very good pellet from sawmills, but you will get some bark in it which accounts for the higher clinker and ash than Country Boy... now - I have burned about 3 tons each of these and they are REALLY good pellets! I am amazed by the CB pellets right now.

Country Boy - there is a distributor in Fredericksburg, VA - and in Gambrills, MD. Nothing close around here... they are manufactured from a hardwood flooring manufacturer. Kiln dried processed hardwood is sawed into usable pieces, then routed/formed. All of the sawing/milling equipments exhaust goes to the pelletizer machine - no bark, no dirt, all pure hardwood... they blow Hamer and Lignetics away...

GWguy - I am like 99.99999% sure it is Glover Enterprises - (540) 371-5200 - not much info on the site...

Hamer and Lignetics - a very good pellet from sawmills, but you will get some bark in it which accounts for the higher clinker and ash than Country Boy... now - I have burned about 3 tons each of these and they are REALLY good pellets! I am amazed by the CB pellets right now.

That link shows them in Falmouth, VA. I did drop an email to an address I found for CB, but never got an answer. If I happen to be passing thru somewhere that has them, I'll stop and get a load. Right now, the gas costs too much for a road trip to find them.

Thanx.

If anyone cares, Sneads Hardware in Lusby carries both the lignetics and hamer, same price, $247.50 per ton, same as what I was paying for pennington. I flipped a coin and got the hamer.

Vince

If anyone cares, Sneads Hardware in Lusby carries both the lignetics and hamer, same price, $247.50 per ton, same as what I was paying for pennington. I flipped a coin and got the hamer.
Yeah, I've got to order my second ton next week. That will take me through the rest of the winter.

Yeah, I've got to order my second ton next week. That will take me through the rest of the winter.

I've gone thru 1.5 tons already. Big house and I rarely use the oil burner... Been using alot this past week with the low temps. Once it warms up into the 50s it won't be so bad.

I've gone thru 1.5 tons already. Big house and I rarely use the oil burner... Been using alot this past week with the low temps. Once it warms up into the 50s it won't be so bad.

Same here - I have used probably a bit 1.25 ton alread with a little less than a ton in reserve... I was thinking of buying a third ton just-in-case...

Since March of '07 we have used 97 gallons of fuel oil (up until December 31st):yahoo:

Vince

Got a 4 bedroom, but it's a Cape Cod and the rooms are situated were the heat either goes back to the downstairs bedroom or upstairs. I keep a humidifier blowing near the stairs so alot of the heat stays downstairs. My heatpump may have kicked on once or twice.

OldHillcrestGuy

I hope you will be happy with the Hamar's since Ive been preaching about how much I like them. I stopped in Mechcanicsville Supply today to see what brand they sell since I saw a sign out front saying pellets, they have Lignetics at $4.99 a bag and $239.00 a ton.
In a couple of weeks Im going to go see George Strait in Baltimore, if I have time and if they are open a may stop by that place in Gambrills and by some bags of Country Boys, to check them out.
Ive only had 4 delivries of oil in 2 whole years, first year I had my stove only had 2 deliveries and each were for 75 gallons, Beche even called me and said something seemed to be wrong with my consumption amounts, Im on automatic delvery and they said they prefer to deliver at least 150 gallons at a time, so they have adjusted (dont know how they do it) my delivery to every other time.
I had a delivery back in October for about 90 gallons, but that was my first since like last Febuary. I have a split level and the stove is in the family room downstairs across from where the steps go upstairs, I close off some rooms downstairs and the stove heats the whole upstairs to my comfort and the spouses, but I do have my mother-in-law with us now (lucky me) so I have set the thermstat(sp) just a bit higher then I have normally with the stove at about 63 just in case it gets bit chilly for her.
Ive used just over a ton so far, and they were my leftovers from last year, Im now starting to use what I got this summer. I have 3 tons in my shed right now, but half of those are my sons, so thats about 75 bags for me and that should hold up for this year. Even if I should use a bag a day that gets me into mid March.

I hope you will be happy with the Hamar's since Ive been preaching about how much I like them.

I'll let you know in about 2 weeks, after I burn up the Pennignton.

I do the same thing you do with closing doors. If it gets below 35 outside, the upstairs gets cold and a very cold draft comes pouring down the stairs into the family room where I have the stove. The stove will never shut off like that, so I close the door to the upstairs. Family room gets to be a pleasant 80 with no trouble, usually set it to 70. The rest of the house is very cool, but I'm the only one here, so no big deal.

Ok, here's what I found using the Hamer pellets:

1st off, very little sawdust. It is SO nice not having the stove choke up on sawdust.

The pellets themselves are bigger, and it seems to create a situation where the flame goes high, then low, then high.....and so on, and I can't tune it out. The Pennington pellets are smaller, and seem to burn a bit more evenly, and I don't get the big swing in flame size.

The Hamer pellets coke up the pot far faster than the Pennington. I could go almost 2 weeks on the Pennington before I had to clean the pot, now it's every 5 bags with the Hamer. It gets so coked up that it won't relight if it turns off.

So, I'm happy that there isn't any sawdust to deal with, but not thrilled that I have to clean it way more often. At this point, the stove runs 24/7, so cleaning happens at least twice a week.

Just my 2 cents....

OldHillcrestGuy

Ok, here's what I found using the Hamer pellets:

1st off, very little sawdust. It is SO nice not having the stove choke up on sawdust.

The pellets themselves are bigger, and it seems to create a situation where the flame goes high, then low, then high.....and so on, and I can't tune it out. The Pennington pellets are smaller, and seem to burn a bit more evenly, and I don't get the big swing in flame size.

The Hamer pellets coke up the pot far faster than the Pennington. I could go almost 2 weeks on the Pennington before I had to clean the pot, now it's every 5 bags with the Hamer. It gets so coked up that it won't relight if it turns off.

So, I'm happy that there isn't any sawdust to deal with, but not thrilled that I have to clean it way more often. At this point, the stove runs 24/7, so cleaning happens at least twice a week.

Just my 2 cents....

Well GW, sounds like you are maybe 50% pleased, lol

I was the one pushing the Hamar's, my stove is running 24/7 at the current time, I usually clean mine every 2 days, but not always a really good cleaning, I sometimes use a big old paint brush to knock down the ash on the walls and clean off the fake logs I have and empty the liitle burn pot and clean my glass, I just push it all into the ash bin then empty that about every month. So if I ran mine for 3 or 4 days before cleaning the burnpot would maybe get clogged with ash, but I dont wait that long for a cleaning. About every third cleaning is when I vaccum and do a really good cleaning.

I find my Hamar pellets to be smaller then the Pennington's, some of the Penn. were like a inch and a half long and I felt they were causing my stove to shutdown because the auger got jammed.

Since I do have alot of Penningtons to get rid of, I have been mixing with the Hamars about 3/4 Harmar and a 1/4 Penn. in the bin. I run my hands through the hopper to mix them up good and help break any of the long Penn pellets up. Stove has been running great since I went off the Pennigtons 100%.

Sure need it to be cranking today with the cold weather.

Well GW, sounds like you are maybe 50% pleased, lol

I was the one pushing the Hamar's, my stove is running 24/7 at the current time, I usually clean mine every 2 days, but not always a really good cleaning, I sometimes use a big old paint brush to knock down the ash on the walls and clean off the fake logs I have and empty the liitle burn pot and clean my glass, I just push it all into the ash bin then empty that about every month. So if I ran mine for 3 or 4 days before cleaning the burnpot would maybe get clogged with ash, but I dont wait that long for a cleaning. About every third cleaning is when I vaccum and do a really good cleaning.

I find my Hamar pellets to be smaller then the Pennington's, some of the Penn. were like a inch and a half long and I felt they were causing my stove to shutdown because the auger got jammed.

Since I do have alot of Penningtons to get rid of, I have been mixing with the Hamars about 3/4 Harmar and a 1/4 Penn. in the bin. I run my hands through the hopper to mix them up good and help break any of the long Penn pellets up. Stove has been running great since I went off the Pennigtons 100%.

Sure need it to be cranking today with the cold weather.

:lmao: Yeah, all the biatching aside, I am SO glad to have this stove. It was 22 outside this morning, my bedroom on the 3rd floor was 60 and the family room where I have the stove was 70. Can't beat that. Even in this cold, I still haven't tuned on the oil burner. Wonder if it still works ??? :confused:

You weren't "pushing" them, you were just saying you had good luck with them. I think next time I'll try the Legnetics, just for kicks and giggles. Whatever works for each of us....

Vince

They never did answer... :frown:

Anyway, just came from McKays. The have a brand called Lignetics, pallet price of $249. Anyone ever try them? Know anything about them? (the pellets, not McKays... :lmao:)
Yep, went through a ton of them. Lasted about half the winter. Just got a load of Hammer for the rest of the winter. Either brand is good.

OldHillcrestGuy

I think next time I'll try the Legnetics, just for kicks and giggles. Whatever works for each of us....

I stopped in a Southern States In Upper Marlboro, they of course sell the Statesman brand, didnt buy any at the time but thought I'd buy 2 or 3 bags this week to just try them out.
Im also going to Baltimore next Saturday to see George Strait and if Im early enough and have the time and they are open thought Id stop by that Garden Center that sells those pellets Country Boy or whatever they are called and buy a few bags for kicks and giggles.

My stove is a cranking also its in the family room where the computer is Ive had to take off my sweatshirt, my oil furnace has not kicked on at all today.

I stopped in a Southern States In Upper Marlboro, they of course sell the Statesman brand, didnt buy any at the time but thought I'd buy 2 or 3 bags this week to just try them out.
Im also going to Baltimore next Saturday to see George Strait and if Im early enough and have the time and they are open thought Id stop by that Garden Center that sells those pellets Country Boy or whatever they are called and buy a few bags for kicks and giggles.

My stove is a cranking also its in the family room where the computer is Ive had to take off my sweatshirt, my oil furnace has not kicked on at all today.

Let me know what you think of the Country Boy, if you do get some. Haven't heard of the Statesman brand. Anyone else on here ever use them?

OldHillcrestGuy

Let me know what you think of the Country Boy, if you do get some. Haven't heard of the Statesman brand. Anyone else on here ever use them?

The salesman said they were good.:whistle: The Southern States in Upper Marlboro got bought out by R&D Cross of Brandywine, which is Southern States type store back in the boonies of Brandywine way off the beaten path, Ive been down in So PG and Charles and North. St Mary's for a very long time and didnt know they were there.
Well they have opened a wood stove, pellet stove showroom in Upper Marl. and I talked to the guy for awhile he showed me the Statesman pellets that was burning in one of the stoves, they seemed to be small maybe less then half inch long but he said he hadnt gotten any compliants about them.:shrug: