Penn State: The cover up continues...

MMDad

Lem Putt
Oh, yes he was. Both.

That's the point. You can be great but, we are still human; here's a reminder and a cautionary note.

:buddies:

Sorry, but I don't think that winning football games makes anyone a great man. It may make him a great coach, but "greatness" as a human should actually improve humanity in some way.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Sorry, but I don't think that winning football games makes anyone a great man. It may make him a great coach, but "greatness" as a human should actually improve humanity in some way.

Virtually everyone who played and/or worked for Paterno speaks VERY highly of him as mentor, molder of men, leader, and freely call him a 'great man'. That is why this is so terrible. No one is saying "Oh, well. Joe was always a drunk, mean to his coaches and used up his players like farm animals..."

You, nor I, have to think much of a football coach but, those who spent part of their lives with him think otherwise. A great number of folks.

xobxdoc

Once again, a great football coach who let a cherished assistant and friend get away with molesting young boys is as bad as someone responsible for war and murder and destruction.

I don't get where you are coming from, at all.

I don't get where you are coming from. You want to leave that statue of praise for Paterno so no one will forget what he had a part in with Sandusky? I don't think anyone needs a statue to help them remember what happened let alone one of Joe marching proudly onto his "field of battle". If you need something to remind you, how about melting the statue down and make a plaque condemning all the people that had a roll in this, and with the rest of the metal, fashion it into a shaft and shove it up Sandusky's ass.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't get where you are coming from. You want to leave that statue of praise for Paterno so no one will forget what he had a part in with Sandusky? I don't think anyone needs a statue to help them remember what happened let alone one of Joe marching proudly onto his "field of battle". If you need something to remind you, how about melting the statue down and make a plaque condemning all the people that had a roll in this, and with the rest of the metal, fashion it into a shaft and shove it up Sandusky's ass.

We want the same thing, then. Just two different approaches. I don't object to yours.

:buddies:

jetmonkey

Virtually everyone who played and/or worked for Paterno speaks VERY highly of him as mentor, molder of men, leader, and freely call him a 'great man'. That is why this is so terrible. No one is saying "Oh, well. Joe was always a drunk, mean to his coaches and used up his players like farm animals..."

You, nor I, have to think much of a football coach but, those who spent part of their lives with him think otherwise. A great number of folks.

Vicky Triponey is the exception. Female hysteria.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Vicky Triponey is the exception. Female hysteria.

Her words;

That lens led me to believe that Coach really was a pretty remarkable man," Triponey said. "To this day, I think I may believe that. But I don't know, somewhere along the way, the pedestal got so high for the program. The Grand Experiment became such a perfect image - and a facade - that we didn't dare let on there were blemishes."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/penn_state/163319246.html#ixzz21XXm5dNu
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The school did nothing, did nothing, did nothing, and now they want to overreact to compensate. It's bull####.

Bonehead

I believe the sanctions

Imposed will punish the wrong people especially the scholarships just require them to be used for academic achievement NOT football gorrilas. Yeah 60 million$ and no bowl games again who does that punish most of those responsible are long gone.

jetmonkey

The school did nothing, did nothing, did nothing, and now they want to overreact to compensate. It's bull####.

If you believe the report, tons of people saw Sandusky playing naked grab-ass with little boys but were afraid to say anything because of things like the way that Vicky Triponey was thrown under the bus and run out of town on a rail for trying to discipline people related to the football program. The school did that :yay:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
These are not excuses. This is to say that these people were NOT Adolph Hitler or Joe Stalin. They did MUCH good for other people. MUCH. They also had terrible, very human failings. We all like to think that had we been there we would surely have blown the whistle, had people arrested, shot Sandusky out back and left him for the buzzards and some people probably would have.

So did Adolph.. In fact, unless you were a Jew, Adolf did great and wonderful things for Germany and the Germans. Hell he brought them the Autobahn, the Volkswagen, did a HELL of a lot better job on the economy with a LOT more hurdles than our current President..

Other than the Jews, he was one of the world's best leaders.. as far as HIS country was concerned..

Hell, here he had a country that was a little bigger than Oregon and he was invading and WINNING in mulitple countries.. If he had quit at Poland, and France we'd be doing business with the 3rd Reich and not the EU..

MMDad

Lem Putt
Imposed will punish the wrong people especially the scholarships just require them to be used for academic achievement NOT football gorrilas. Yeah 60 million$ and no bowl games again who does that punish most of those responsible are long gone.

The only scholarships affected are the football scholarships.

Tomcat

Anytime
so there should be Statues of Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, in there respective host countries :shrug:
Lee, Jackson, Stuart, Pickett, Hood, Bragg, never seen statues of any of them?
From what I've read, Joe did tell someone above him about what was reported to him. He didn't follow up on it or someone else dropped the ball (or chose to cover it up)
I do know he and the Football program were responsible for huge donations to the school. Maybe since John Doe contributed millions to Penn State and they named a building after him, they should now tear down the building?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Interesting how other child abuse cases, where people knew but did nothing, knowledge of a crime isn't punished.

Two former high-ranking Penn State administrators surrendered Saturday morning to serve jail sentences for how they responded to a 2001 complaint about Jerry Sandusky showering with a boy.Schultz and Curley pleaded guilty to misdemeanor child endangerment in March, leading prosecutors to drop three felony charges of child endangerment and conspiracy.

Curley, 63, must serve three months in jail, while Schultz, 67, has two months behind bars. Jail officials said they will be evaluated for participation in work release while incarcerated.

PSU, not a catholic university