People are #######s!!!

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I gots a disable and the giant makes me walk across the dang parking lot. Or for two plus blocks in the city. :mad:

I never get drop-off service. WTF?

Of course...I do believe a "fire lane" is for emergency vehicles only. Or is there a sign saying something about drop-off delivery/pick-up, etc. that I've missed?

I know some doctors/ hospitals have patient drop off areas, that my husband doesn't use. :ohwell:

Beta

Smile!
I always thought that the area in front of the store was a no parking/no stopping fire lane. With that being said I never get mad if it is obvious that someone is dropping off a disabled person, I get mad when an obviously healthy person stops and parks in that lane. I don't care if it is just for a couple of minutes if you are able to walk then park in the lot like a normal person. In most cases fat, rude, and lazy is not an acceptable handicap.

There's NO SUCH THING as an "obviously healthy person." Someone who looks fine could have a messed up leg that's not apparent, they could have MS and be having a bad day, etc. It's ignorant to look at someone who "looks fine" and assume they're being lazy.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
There's NO SUCH THING as an "obviously healthy person." Someone who looks fine could have a messed up leg that's not apparent, they could have MS and be having a bad day, etc. It's ignorant to look at someone who "looks fine" and assume they're being lazy.

:huggy: I'm just being lazy today. :kiss:

bilbur

If walking does not cause them pain then there is no reason for them to park in, what is essentially, an illegal spot. I have seen people stop in the fire lane and run, not walk or limp, run into the store. If someone can run they can walk the extra 500 feet that it would take for them to use a legal parking spot. I was offered a handicapped placard for my car after a major surgery but I refused to take it because there are people in the world far worse than me and I could handle the discomfort that came from walking long distances. There are too many people in the world that would have abused the system and taken a spot away from someone who truly deserves it.

Pyrotech

Les Paul Addict
Do you think the somd.com forums are your own personal complaint blog?

How many times a week do you come to this site crying about some bad driver that wronged you? You think these incidents are so life changing that the other driver is going to remember you and then somehow find this mini rant on the internet? and then what? Apologize?

Why dont you start your own bad driving experience blog?

Maybe the bad driver is you?
(must be the F150 owner....)

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
If walking does not cause them pain then there is no reason for them to park in, what is essentially, an illegal spot. I have seen people stop in the fire lane and run, not walk or limp, run into the store. If someone can run they can walk the extra 500 feet that it would take for them to use a legal parking spot. I was offered a handicapped placard for my car after a major surgery but I refused to take it because there are people in the world far worse than me and I could handle the discomfort that came from walking long distances. There are too many people in the world that would have abused the system and taken a spot away from someone who truly deserves it.

If you see my father, he "looks normal". He has copd and can not walk far. There are a lot of people like that.

bilbur

If you see my father, he "looks normal". He has copd and can not walk far. There are a lot of people like that.

I should have specified that I am not referring to older people or the elderly I am referring to the younger generation that thinks the world revolves around them. My dad also has COPD and even though he can still walk distances to a point I don't think I will see him running anyware any time soon. I don't know why those with a need or knowing someone with a need to be dropped off are jumping on my back. You should be just as outraged as me at the ones who park in frount of a store just because they are an a$$ hole and think the world should revolve around them.

bilbur

You too, Bilbur. I had no idea how devastating COPD could be until I saw my Dad whither away.

Sorry about your father, mine was just diagnosed this past year. 60 years of smoking has finally started to take its toll. The whole situation is an eye opener and is making me re-evaluate my own smoking habit.

Beta

Smile!

I agree with what you're saying in principle -- when a random jerk parks in the lane because they're too lazy, that's a problem. My point was only that there's no such thing as an "obviously healthy person." A person could look just fine but be in pain, perhaps because they're always in pain so they have learned to grin and bear it. There's no way I can tell if someone is "healthy" or not, and I certainly don't know if them walking another 50 feet is going to be a problem or not.

It would be nice if people stopped thinking they were special and parking in those places when they shouldn't be, even if it's "just for a sec". Especially if they are, in fact, healthy. But who are we to assume someone is healthy and start honking at them or cussing them out? We don't have enough information to judge.

Pyrotech

Les Paul Addict
Sorry about your father, mine was just diagnosed this past year. 60 years of smoking has finally started to take its toll. The whole situation is an eye opener and is making me re-evaluate my own smoking habit.

I bet. I can fill you in on the domino effect it had on him. I really had no idea of how well our bodies are interconnected and how one problem can affect so much.

My Dad loved to golf and work in his yard. When the doctors sat us down and got real about it, they had asked what he loved to do, so we told him. They held back nothing and said "Let us put it to you this way, he cant even go out into his own backyard ever again".

I pretty much knew what my Dad was going to say to that. He immediately had them disconnect him from everything and we all stood watch as he drifted away. By this time, his kidneys had already completely shut down.

MDChick

The whole situation is an eye opener and is making me re-evaluate my own smoking habit.

Almost 50 years of warning labels didn't clue you in? It never ceases to amaze me how smokers can just shrug off the consequences... until they or someone they love is lying in their death bed. \soapbox

terbear1225

I agree with what you're saying in principle -- when a random jerk parks in the lane because they're too lazy, that's a problem. My point was only that there's no such thing as an "obviously healthy person." A person could look just fine but be in pain, perhaps because they're always in pain so they have learned to grin and bear it. There's no way I can tell if someone is "healthy" or not, and I certainly don't know if them walking another 50 feet is going to be a problem or not.

It would be nice if people stopped thinking they were special and parking in those places when they shouldn't be, even if it's "just for a sec". Especially if they are, in fact, healthy. But who are we to assume someone is healthy and start honking at them or cussing them out? We don't have enough information to judge.

You have a point. i would argue though that if someone is sitting in the fire lane waiting to pick someone up for 20+ minutes, they probably could have walked the extra 50 feet.

Pyrotech

Les Paul Addict
Almost 50 years of warning labels didn't clue you in? It never ceases to amaze me how smokers can just shrug off the consequences... until they or someone they love is lying in their death bed. \soapbox

Addiction to something kind of makes you disregard the warnings when some people can do whatever it is with impunity.

bilbur

I didn't say that starting smoking when I was 16 was a smart thing to do nor did I ask for your or anyone else’s sympathy or opinions on the matter. When the time comes that I get COPD or lung cancer I have no one to blame but myself, however, the addiction is sometimes stronger than the fear of the consequences. Lastly, before you judge take a look at your own life. I am sure you don't eat fast food, you work out every day, you don't eat saturated fat, you don't drink caffeine, etc... These may not kill as quickly as cigarettes but they will eventually kill.

denisend

You have a point. i would argue though that if someone is sitting in the fire lane waiting to pick someone up for 20+ minutes, they probably could have walked the extra 50 feet.

If someone is sitting for 20 minutes they could probably walk 50 feet? How does sitting time equal ability to walk?

IMO, someone could park in a spot for 20 minutes and wait for whoever they're picking up and meet them at the door when they get there, but that's just me.