pet meds

luvmygdaughters

I always used 1-800 Petmeds for my old girls flea/tick medication. Never had a problem getting it w/o a prescription. My daughter uses it for my granddogs flea/tick preventative also.

I always used 1-800 Petmeds for my old girls flea/tick medication. Never had a problem getting it w/o a prescription. My daughter uses it for my granddogs flea/tick preventative also.
Its not flea/tick meds that need a prescription. Those can be purchased OTC from pretty much anywhere nowadays including BJ's Wholesale.

It is the heatworm and other meds that need a prescription.

DeeCee

A horse of course!
I've been using straight ivermectin for years, every other month rather than monthly. A cardiologist i worked with many years ago told me vets recommend treatment monthly because people become forgetful on an every other month schedule, putting their dogs at risk by forgetting long enough for the difilara to mature, they mature in 8 weeks. So as long as the treatment is religiously given every other month it is effective - but you can't miss even one dose in this schedule because the difilaria will mature. If that happens and the dog is put on a MONTHLY preventative, the mature worms die out after 5 years, and new infection is avoided by the ivermectin.

The monthly schedule is easer for one or two dogs and if one dose is missed or given late, it's not a big deal just resume it.

HOW you give it should be based on a difil test, especially if the animals history is unknown. Infected - give monthly. Clear, either every month OR every other month absolutely religiously. An annual test is also a good idea just to be sure your protocol is working. Also remember H/W preventative also has strongid in it to kill other types of worms so you will have to step up that worming with something else.

We reposessed a pup once who was badly infected - had her treated to the tune of 1K and she ended up passing much younger than her littermates and never did really regain her "glowing" health. It was horribly painful getting insecticide injected straight into her flank muscles over the course of several days. I would never-EVER do that again to any dog, no matter what.

Last edited:

DeeCee

A horse of course!
Its not flea/tick meds that need a prescription. Those can be purchased OTC from pretty much anywhere nowadays including BJ's Wholesale.

It is the heatworm and other meds that need a prescription.
I got the Walmart version of Frontline (with fipronil) in the same strength as Frontline (one of the ones W/M carries is slightly lower) and my dogs STILL have a couple of fleas....maybe they're developing a resistence?? :frown:

animalluvr4life

animal luvr
I got the Walmart version of Frontline (with fipronil) in the same strength as Frontline (one of the ones W/M carries is slightly lower) and my dogs STILL have a couple of fleas....maybe they're developing a resistence?? :frown:

I get this stuff called certified from my vets office and have used it for 4 months and haven't seen a single flea or tick. for both heartworm and flea meds i spent 150.00 and i had to get 2 different doses of heartworm pills cause of brunos weight.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I get this stuff called certified from my vets office and have used it for 4 months and haven't seen a single flea or tick. for both heartworm and flea meds i spent 150.00 and i had to get 2 different doses of heartworm pills cause of brunos weight.

:confused:

animalluvr4life

animal luvr

oops i was wrong its called certifect (sp)

Certifect for Dogs is Merial's new long-lasting, monthly topical flea and tick preventative. It works just like Frontline Plus with the addition of amitraz, a powerful tick-killing ingredient. It kills ticks and adult fleas rapidly and destroys the flea life cycle by killing flea eggs and larvae as well. Most topical tick treatments can take 24-48 hours to kill ticks, but Certifect for Dogs begins killing ticks in 6 hours and kills up to 100% of ticks in 18 hours. Furthermore, it is the only topical tick product that forces ticks to detach from an infested host. Certifect for Dogs provides complete flea control by killing adult fleas and preventing development of all flea stages. It not only kills fleas and ticks rapidly, but it continues to protect dogs from fleas and ticks for a whole month - even when swimming or bathing. In addition, Certifect for Dogs kills chewing lice and can also be used to control chewing lice and sarcoptic mange infestations.

Last edited:

dawn

Most vets will price match too. If you know what medicine you are going to get and go online and print out the exact same dosage and price most vets will match it. My vet will want to see what the shipping charge is too because they will also add it, but usually if you sign up for 1800 pet meds email or something similar you get coupons for free shipping or 10 dollars off and you can put that on the print out and they honor it at my vets!

acommondisaster

I've used 1800PetMeds for our dogs for years, because they are cheaper than the vet. One thing I've noticed is that they are not always as fresh - their expiration date may be closer than meds I have gotten through the vet - but I've never received expired meds.

1800PetMeds will contact the vet when you order anything that needs a script, so you can't forego the bloodtests/exams. I know this because I ordered the wrong strength for one of the dogs and PetMeds contacted me saying the vet said I'd used the wrong weight.

Any vet who won't prescribe outside of his office is risking losing customers and putting dogs at risk for heartworm because the owner can't afford the meds.

Heartworm pills come in blisterpacks that are clearly marked heartworm, it's not like they're sending you a prescription of loose pills - the "they'll send you fake stuff" argument is stupid and an outright lie. PetMeds would be out of business and there'd be a whole lot of news stories about it.