PG County Cop Sets Great Example

OldHillcrestGuy

:yeahthat:

They are the boldest a-holes. I had one pull me over once for speeding. Not only did he give me a ticket, but he 'tried' to give me a ticket for the back seat windows being tinted. The front ones were not tinted....the back ones were like that from the factory. Then he tried to question the cruise control "stalk" that was on the steering wheel. I told him that's how they came on the PT Cruisers. He said "Thats an odd place to put it, don't you think?". He was such an azz.

You shouldnt have been speeding.:whistle: Speedy70 What do you expect, whats your license plate say.:lmao:

General Lee

So, screw you PG Cop. The report is filed.

Oooohhh, you filed a report. I bet you were a tattle tale as a kid and its obvious you still are. Pick and choose your battles, come on, he ran a red light. PG is not going to waste the time to entertain your complaint.

GopherM

Darwin was right
When it becomes blatantly dangerous or reckless.

I think cops have more driving training than they do firearms training and I trust them to be great drivers, so I would not mind one proceeding on a red compared to Joe Shmoe citizen doing so. I know the officer would be much more aware. (....but then again if he was so aware then he would have seen you watching him. lol)
If they are doing something boneheaded like driving 100 in traffic when not on a call, then yeah, they are risking everyone's life for no reason, but going through a red at an empty, or almost empty wide like that one intersection is mostly forgivable if it was me seeing it happen.
You were there though and you may have seen different than I can imagine how it happened.

I couldn't disagree more with that short sighted statement. The LAW ENFORCEMENT agencies shoudl set the example for what is expected of the Joe Shmoe citizen. If they are not responding to a call or an emergency they have no more rights to violate the law than anyone else on the road.

I guess because I am a supervisor and have all the necessary training and experience in management skills and personnel rules that I should be excused if I violate work ethics by practicing sexual harrassment, employee favoritism or falsifying my time entries. Hey, I'm an expert at management with all the essential tools so I should be able to do what I want at work and still hold my team responsible for their behavior. BS.

JustTheFax

On the Right Side.
If your version of the incident is accurate and there was no justification for the officer to do what he did, I agree that he was wrong. In today's world, it's just amazing that people won't call in when they see a drug deal going down and they wouldn't call if someone else went through the light, but they are always ready to go after the police. The fact is that you don't really know why he went through the light but you quickly got on SOMD and trashed him. It sounds like he was a little rude to you but I'm sure you didn't start out by greeting him with a smile and a hug when you caught up to him. You probably had an attitude when you spoke to him and you didn't get the answer you wanted. The reality is that he is a Police Officer, not a salesperson at Macy's. In his line of work, he is not expected to treat the customers as if they are always right.

When you find out that he was on his way to a call that got canceled, will you tell us?

An officer should always treat citizens with respect. Yes it is possible that a call was canceled, that may be what happened, if so there will be a record of the event.

Some police officers fail to respect the citizens they deal with, and that is wrong. Some citizens may not deserve respect, however why should a L.E.O. lower him self to the level of some of the low life on the street.

Novus Collectus

I couldn't disagree more with that short sighted statement. The LAW ENFORCEMENT agencies shoudl set the example for what is expected of the Joe Shmoe citizen. If they are not responding to a call or an emergency they have no more rights to violate the law than anyone else on the road.
Short sighted statement? Short sighted!! No sh!t Sherlock, I was speaking from personal perspective. You and the rest of the public can do whatever you want and turn a P.G. cop in for running a red light, but to me it is forgiveable enough so that I won't bother reporting them unless blatantly dangerous. If you read my first post in this thread you can see my tone and intent to show it just how I would react and feel.

The only time I will not stand for a bending of the rules by the cops is when it violates someone's civil rights. As for little stuff, I couldn't care less unless it gets out of hand or if I was an officer, or if I was in the department's leadership. If the job gets done (e.g. arresting bad guys and protecting us in an emergency), then some minor traffic violations can be overlooked by me.
Your opinion may differ, but that is your perogitive.

Last edited:

smcop

An officer should always treat citizens with respect. Yes it is possible that a call was canceled, that may be what happened, if so there will be a record of the event.

Some police officers fail to respect the citizens they deal with, and that is wrong. Some citizens may not deserve respect, however why should a L.E.O. lower him self to the level of some of the low life on the street.

You're correct. Police officers should always maintain control and professionalism, however that doesn't mean we are required to be nice to someone who is being abusive. There are times we need to be direct and stern in order to control the event. There are also times we need to be compassionate and use empathy to de-esculate a situation. Sometimes there is a fine line between the two, and that is why I give an officer the benefit of doubt before I make judgement on their split second decision, when I have had the benefit of time to examine all the facts.

You're correct. Police officers should always maintain control and professionalism, however that doesn't mean we are required to be nice to someone who is being abusive. There are times we need to be direct and stern in order to control the event. There are also times we need to be compassionate and use empathy to de-esculate a situation. Sometimes there is a fine line between the two, and that is why I give an officer the benefit of doubt before I make judgement on their split second decision, when I have had the benefit of time to examine all the facts.

This is true - I was taught if you treat them someone like an ass, expect to be treated like an ass... you should be tactful in any case, especially with a public servant.

I can see if the person was being belligerent in questioning then the officer being belligerency back... but if it was done tactfully, then their is not excuse for his behavior.

smcop

I don't know one way or another, but I have NEVER heard of a police officer being told to generate tickets for revenue purposes. It isn't like the officer is going to get a bonus? In my many years as a police officer, I have never heard of a fellow officer being called to task for not writing tickets, only for not conducting stops.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Cops = Tax collectors

honestly, I've always been on the side of "the cops are corrupt, they think they can just do anything they want and get away with it, ect" but after hearinr from some of the people on this site...I have to take the cops' side. They do what they can. Sure, some are corrupt...others are in fact power hungry azzholes, but don't lump them all together. All professions have people unfit for the job :shrug:

that is all.

sinwagon

12/7/07 3:30am, intersection of 197 and Mitchellville Rd in Bowie. Squad car #4572.

You stopped at a red light beside me, looked both ways, then proceeded through the intersection as the light was still red. Okay, maybe you had an important call and didn't respond with your wigwags on...I gave you the benefit of the doubt. You turned south on 301 and by the time I got there, I could see your tail lights until you sped off into the distance. Meanwhile, I was nearly out of gas. I pulled into the Wawa just south of Central Ave and noticed three squad cars in the parking lot, with four deputies inside.

It only took me 30 seconds to recognize who you were. I asked if you drove 72 and you said yes. I asked why you disobeyed a traffic control device without responding to a legitimate call and you looked dumbfounded. The only defense you had was "go file a report, dey be a po-leese stashun do da road". I couldn't get your name because your jacket was covering it, and you refused to give it to me.

That so funny you actually confronted him! Did you atleast get the tag number on his car so you could actually file a report?

The Krispy Kreme truck was probably making a delivery at the wawa.

B

ButterNut

12/7/07 3:30am, intersection of 197 and Mitchellville Rd in Bowie. Squad car #4572.

You stopped at a red light beside me, looked both ways, then proceeded through the intersection as the light was still red. Okay, maybe you had an important call and didn't respond with your wigwags on...I gave you the benefit of the doubt. You turned south on 301 and by the time I got there, I could see your tail lights until you sped off into the distance. Meanwhile, I was nearly out of gas. I pulled into the Wawa just south of Central Ave and noticed three squad cars in the parking lot, with four deputies inside.

It only took me 30 seconds to recognize who you were. I asked if you drove 72 and you said yes. I asked why you disobeyed a traffic control device without responding to a legitimate call and you looked dumbfounded. The only defense you had was "go file a report, dey be a po-leese stashun do da road". I couldn't get your name because your jacket was covering it, and you refused to give it to me.

Good ol' RichardCranium the cop hater strikes again..

Get a life dude.

LateApex

Good ol' RichardCranium the cop hater strikes again..

Get a life dude.

Why does this person need to get a life?

It's good that people try to keep cops in check.

Just because you have the power to do it doesn't mean you should abuse said power.

Give a guy a gun and a badge and the power will go to his head.