Pharmacists refusing to fill scripts ...

Should they or shouldn't they ...

• Yes, they should be able to deny BC scripts ...

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • No, they shouldn't deny ANY scripts ...

Votes: 30 88.2%
  • I don't know; just feel like voting for the heck of it.

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
BuddyLee said:
I'm not sure how I stand with the religious viewpoint of the issue as of yet, at first glance I'd have to agree with you. However, as I said before, some people don't assume this is a religious issue, not to them at least. Some people just feel this is morally wrong and they have that right to refuse a certain drug if it is conflicting with their personal morals. I'm a strict believer that you should not inflict your beliefs upon another, keep that in the private sector. If the pharmacist has moral problems with the case then he should kindly hand the case over to another pharmacist. Doing just this will save each parties rights.
I can see someone refusing the drug IF it's prescribed to them and they morally object (whether it's due to religion or some other hokie excuse) ... then, they can tell their doctor they don't agree with it and discuss alternatives. But yours or my religious viewpoints should not (as you said) be imposed on others. If I can't do my job b/c of my beliefs, I should seek employment elsewhere. While a pharmacy is a privately-owned business, it's got Uncle Sam's hands around it when it comes to drugs, so they shouldn't be able to discriminate (employees or patients) based on the regular hooplah (race, religion, etc.).

The same rules apply to government contractors ... when they agree to work with/for Uncle Sam, they have certain things they must adhere to ... and I would view a private company (i.e. CVS), providing a federally controlled product (the medications) in the same light as Ratheon providing weapons support for this country. :shrug:

crabcake

BuddyLee said:
All good points CC, I love a good debate and I thank you for as much.:cheers: With that, I must hope to beat the great CC some other day.:lmao:
I can't believe you hung in here just to try to beat me! :duh:

Even Vrai agreed with me like 5 pages ago; you should know, after that, there is no questioning my stance; I'm right by default! :diva: :lmao:

Have a good night! Thanks for racin' me clean. :yay:

crabcake

BuddyLee said:
Don't worry, I'll getcha' one day...even if it's when you're accepted to the nursing home.:biggrin:
At least I'll have my cane to beat the pharmacist over the head with! :cheers:

crabcake

BuddyLee said:
:lmao: Knowing my luck, I would probably be the recipient.
Ya better fill my morning after script then after i get done fooling around in the bridge room with Gus. :lmao:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
On the right to refuse to fill a prescription, Maryland law says:

§ 12-501. Refusal to dispense or refill prescription.

(a) Basis for refusal.- A pharmacist may refuse to dispense or refill a prescription if the decision is based on professional judgment, experience, knowledge, or available reference materials.

(b) Notification of refusal.-
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, if a pharmacist refuses to dispense or refill a prescription, the pharmacist shall, to the extent practicable, notify the authorized prescriber that the prescription or refill was refused within 72 hours after the refusal.
(2) Paragraph (1) of this subsection does not apply if a pharmacist is unable to determine the name of the authorized prescriber.

I don't see where personal opinions or beliefs come into play.

crabcake

I never realized the level of extreme liberal ####bag my father is until I was just discussing this issue with him, and he repeated and argumentatively layed the blame for this squarely on Dubya's shoulders ... like Dubya called all the pharmacists of the nation and said, "Hey Yawwwlll, don't be fillin' none of dem der birth cawntrol and mornin' after pills!". :duh:

I had to hang up on him. :ohwell:

BuddyLee

Football addict
crabcake said:
I never realized the level of extreme liberal ####bag my father is until I was just discussing this issue with him, and he repeated and argumentatively layed the blame for this squarely on Dubya's shoulders ... like Dubya called all the pharmacists of the nation and said, "Hey Yawwwlll, don't be fillin' none of dem der birth cawntrol and mornin' after pills!". :duh:

I had to hang up on him. :ohwell:
:roflmao:

crabcake

BuddyLee said:
What's funny is he also managed to drag the war in Iraq into the mix. :duh: This is a man who worked 30-some years for a company manufacturing parts for GM, so he's been brainwashed by the union something fierce to "Think Liberal". :cheesy: Hmmm, he's single ... Cindy Sheehan is single. I think there's potential there! :whistle:

T

tikipirate

Fred Hoeck said:
People have freedom of consious. There is no reason to force someone to fill a prescription for birth control or abortafactants. This is a long standing discussion in this country. If a phamacist can not in good concious fill that prescription, another one can. It is the same with others in the medical field, no one is forced to perform or assist at abortions.

Licensed physicians are given far greater leeway wrt caregiving. A licensed physician may enact the ethical principle of beneficence by right of the fetus to deny the pregnant woman 'abortafactants'. (Not that 'abortafactants' is a real word, but we'll pretend it is.) Recognize that many licensed physicians hold positions in pharmacy, but few pharmacists are licensed physicians.

Pharmacy is a state-licensed profession. Presumedly a licensed pharmacist is to follow state regulations, and not any ad-hoc beliefs that he may hold.

State-licensed building code inspectors are supposed to enforce state- and county-recognized building codes even if they don't agree with them. And the world's first building code was in the Bible. [Deuteronomy 22:8 Every new house must have a guardrail around the edge of the flat rooftop to prevent anyone from falling off and bring guilt to both the house and its owner.]

State, county, and local officers of the law, as well as attorneys licensed by the State Bar of Maryland are supposed to... OK, bad example!

I don't have the energy to follow up on what the state pharmacy regulations are, but I'm sure you folks do.

(Dang, now I remember Kenny King's post, that law-hound!)

§ 12-501. Refusal to dispense or refill prescription.

(a) Basis for refusal.- A pharmacist may refuse to dispense or refill a prescription if the decision is based on professional judgment, experience, knowledge, or available reference materials.

(b) Notification of refusal.-

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, if a pharmacist refuses to dispense or refill a prescription, the pharmacist shall, to the extent practicable, notify the authorized prescriber that the prescription or refill was refused within 72 hours after the refusal.

(2) Paragraph (1) of this subsection does not apply if a pharmacist is unable to determine the name of the authorized prescriber.

Maybe a better use of everyone's time would be to talk openly and sanely to your daughters and offer them non-judgmental advice on birth control options. Better to come from you than the pimply-faced boy down the block.

Even better... introduce your daughters to the gynecologist before they need an obstetrician.

Last edited by a moderator:

bcp

In My Opinion
the thread title is kinda misleading.

I would say no they should not be able to deny birth control,, like the pill, or condoms, or diaphram etc...

but the morning after pill, is not really in the same catagory as those others, some might for religious reasons be against that because they might look at is in a similar light as abortion.

I dont care to get into that argument personally, but thats how I see it.

crabcake

bcp said:
the thread title is kinda misleading.

I would say no they should not be able to deny birth control,, like the pill, or condoms, or diaphram etc...

but the morning after pill, is not really in the same catagory as those others, some might for religious reasons be against that because they might look at is in a similar light as abortion.

I dont care to get into that argument personally, but thats how I see it.
I hear ya, and I understand that; my only argument to the last statement is, if your morals/beliefs are going to preclude you from doing a job, you should find one that doesn't conflict with them. :shrug:

bcp

In My Opinion
crabcake said:
I hear ya, and I understand that; my only argument to the last statement is, if your morals/beliefs are going to preclude you from doing a job, you should find one that doesn't conflict with them. :shrug:
I hear ya, and I understand that also.
however, since the morning after pill has only been out for a couple years tops now, how can you tell someone that did take the job in good faith prior to that pill to leave his/her job because they dont agree with the newest form of abortion.. In their mind.

crabcake

bcp said:
I hear ya, and I understand that also.
however, since the morning after pill has only been out for a couple years tops now, how can you tell someone that did take the job in good faith prior to that pill to leave his/her job because they dont agree with the newest form of abortion.. In their mind.
Because their job is to fill medications -- period. :shrug: It's not right for me to go around and subject others to my beliefs; it's not right for them to use their position/job to force theirs on me -- especially where my health is concerned. They have NO idea why I'm prescribed that pill -- there could be medically necessary reasons for it ... lots of medicines are created to do one thing, but provide a benefit to some patients that is completely unrelated (take Wellbutrin for example ... an anti-depressant that's also prescribed to help people quit smoking; birth control pills that help women who suffer with ovarian cysts, etc.). They're a pharmacist; if they wanted to play doctor, they should've chosen a different path of education. :ohwell:

bcp

In My Opinion
I would tend to think that our only recourse on this subject is that we accept the fact that we do not, or will not ever agree with each other.

Not enough in my mind to totaly discount your opinion as invalid in this or any other situation.