Plumber

IMNEMT-B

My water has smelled like rotten eggs for the longest time. I know I need some type of filtration system installed. I have been through the yellow pages, but not sure which company to choose. Has anyone had a system installed? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am in St. Mary's. TIA

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I have had rotten egg smell to in St. Mary's. I had the water tested and it was good for contaminates. For the life of me I can never find the business who did it in Charlotte Hall. At work now, I have paperwork at home.

He had me bleach the well and all was good for about 2 years. He said no need for an expensive filtration system. Best part he didn't charge me a dime to test my water and explain how to bleach the system.

Disinfecting a Domestic Well with Shock Chlorination

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

Dump bleach in your well then run it through your house until the smell is gone.

It's very typical, and the smell is Sulfur in your well.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
Dump bleach in your well then run it through your house until the smell is gone.

It's very typical, and the smell is Sulfur in your well.

You also need to run it through each and every faucet, hot and cold sides until you smell the bleach coming through. Shut it down for at least an hour or longer (we let ours sit for 24) then run it off through the hose. Some people call it shocking the system.
Ours took 3 days to run off last time.

Last edited:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
My water has smelled like rotten eggs for the longest time. I know I need some type of filtration system installed. I have been through the yellow pages, but not sure which company to choose. Has anyone had a system installed? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am in St. Mary's. TIA

Great question. We have the same problem as well. Some days it's more noticeable than others.

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
Someone I know did this years ago. It worked, but when they did it many large spiders filled the house, like nickel size body black ones. Guy had said they had lived in the well and the bleach made them head for the hills.

Not sure if they came through pipes or surfaced to the yard then came in. Didn't ask *shivers*didn't visit for awhile either.

:coffee:

FED_UP

Someone I know did this years ago. It worked, but when they did it many large spiders filled the house, like nickel size body black ones. Guy had said they had lived in the well and the bleach made them head for the hills.

Not sure if they came through pipes or surfaced to the yard then came in. Didn't ask *shivers*didn't visit for awhile either.

:coffee:

OP should not have a possible spider problem this time of the year.

Chris0nllyn

Try replacing the anode rod in your water heater to diminish the smell.

While this is always a good thing to do (especially with an older water heater), but if it were the water heater the smell would only happen if the hot water was turned on.