Point Lookout - Safety?

kls_spencer

Hey y'all! My family and I are planning on camping at Point Lookout in a few weeks for a couple of nights in our travel trailer. I have heard rumors of gang activity there and want to hear from folks who go there regularly. We will have small children with us.

Is it safe?

Is it patrolled by appropriate authorities?

Is it crowded?

Should we find someplace else to camp that weekend?

Any info and advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

rich70

STEELERS NATION!!
Hey y'all! My family and I are planning on camping at Point Lookout in a few weeks for a couple of nights in our travel trailer. I have heard rumors of gang activity there and want to hear from folks who go there regularly. We will have small children with us.

Is it safe?

Is it patrolled by appropriate authorities?

Is it crowded?

Should we find someplace else to camp that weekend?

Any info and advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
As many times as I've been down there, I've never had any problems.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Gang activity?:lmao:

Yeah, that place is about as quiet as you can get depending on the weekend. I wouldn't recommend the beach/picnic area as that place is usually crowded on the weekends. However, the park usually runs some programs for the campers.

It is patrolled by Park Rangers and is safe.

Be sure to check out the Visitor Center/Civil War museum, PLO lighthouse, pier and Fort Lincoln.:yay:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I'm with Buddy Lee. I've never heard of "gang activity" in the area. ( I think it's funny too :lol:) Now during the daytime it can get kind of crowded with lots of people out fishing on the point, but otherwise NP. If you do get placed next to a rowdy camper, it's like any other campground - complain. Take plenty of bug spray as mosquitos and no-see-ems are the most gang activity the area experiences. :lol:

kls_spencer

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info. When I heard this about Point Lookout I searched the archives of somd and found a rather long thread about a gang called MS13 or something that frequented Point Lookout. It was dated 2008. Glad to hear that is no longer the case!

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

:huggy: Don't worry, seriously. Yes, during fishing season, tons of people from a wide range of ethnic backgrounds go to Pt Lookout to fish, including Latinos. Just because periodic sweeps are done by law enforcement, and maybe they catch an out of town gang member (or not) doesn't mean that it's a gang thing. Around here, it's a way to make extra money to catch "poachers", give tickets for suspended tags, warn people who are drinking, etc, as well as to keep up a police prescence. There rarely is any trouble in the south end of the county, much less at Pt Lookout. Sometimes, some posters on a public board, like to spout off and rant about various other things, and let their prejudice or third/fourth hand information flair their imaginations and posting. Doesn't mean that they are always being informative or factual.

As an aside, make sure you pack plenty of groceries for your trip. The closest grocery store to Pt Lookout isn't very large, doesn't carry a multitude of items, and can be a bit pricey. However, they have some great Chinese food to go. Another great place to eat in the area would be Schieble's.

DonCopenha

No Alcohol rule

The fine staff of PL are working hard to keep the place nice. Campground is very quiet on loops with RVs, a little more noise where the tents are since the walls are so thin and everyone tends to keep extended hours due to less than stellar sleeping arrangements.

One new policy in effect is No Alcohol. This will aid greatly in keeping the peace down by the swimming beach. As for the campground, if you are not causing trouble and you drink out of cups, I doubt anyone would have any reason to call you out on the new policy.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
One new policy in effect is No Alcohol. This will aid greatly in keeping the peace down by the swimming beach. As for the campground, if you are not causing trouble and you drink out of cups, I doubt anyone would have any reason to call you out on the new policy.

:yeahthat: Good reminder.

wch

Can't seem to remember any major problems, in the last 6 years. I'm headed down 3rd week in June to camp and fish off a boat The no alcohol rule might calm things down a little more with the crowding, we will see

royhobie

hobieflyer
I know the Rangers down there. They do an excellent job. Expect the weekends to have increased enforcement with more officers. They usually spend their day working radar on the causeway when everything is quiet as it usually is. As for gangs, that was a rumor based upon foreign nationals of several hispanic nations which had NO gang affiliation. The rumor was just that, a rumor with no fact to back any of it. Nonetheless, when the Rangers need a back up, usually for a large sized drunk, they would call the St. Mary's County Sherriff's Office. Going code with lights and sirens from their usual Lexington Park hang out, the Sheriff's office would take about 5 to 10 minutes once called. Park is pretty good. Enjoy it!!

L

Libertarian

Definitely watch out for the ghosts...I hear they come out at night time. According to folklore, they are sometimes seen walking along the road near the woods. Even some of the rangers claim to have suddenly seen a figure walking late at night on the beach or along the road only for it to suddenly get out of sight.

kayo

We just camped there this past weekend and it was very quiet in the campground. We were in Tulip Loop and it was very nice. Beach area down on the point looked to be pretty full.

Justme2

We just camped there this past weekend and it was very quiet in the campground. We were in Tulip Loop and it was very nice. Beach area down on the point looked to be pretty full.

Watch out for the deer that get spooked crossing the road:whoosh: