Police at GMHS with guns drawn?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
This event made me realize that the news played on the local radio stations in the evening is "canned" from the morning. That evening I was listening to 98.3 and the report said police was still looking for the suspect, when I had learned on this forum that he was already in custody.

They've done that for YEARS! :lol:

Goldenhawk

This event made me realize that the news played on the local radio stations in the evening is "canned" from the morning.
My brother worked for some radio stations in the mid-90s, and I got a tour and good description of the setup. The new automated stations get their music via satellite, and the computer system lets a guy sit down and record the hourly news and weather bits to the hard drive, all at one time. The system then automatically inserts them into the satellite feed at the appropriate time; the feed has built-in markers that tell local systems "okay, now it's time to run a local ad" or "now it's time to play the news and weather" or "stand by; we're running a national ad now."

Basically, someone sits there for 30-60 minutes each morning, and then the station building can be totally vacant the entire rest of the day, as long as the system stays online.

That's why when it DOES occasionally fail, the "dead air" lasts so long - someone has to drive out to the site and reboot everything.

That's also why so many local stations have disappeared - it's hugely more expensive to pay 3 shifts for someone to sit there 24-7 and spin records, than to pay once for a fancy computer system that does EVERYTHING for you, along with some satellite feed subscription service. Why bother when you can rake in the cash for nearly nothing?

That's also why all the music sounds the same no matter where you go - because you're hearing the exact same satellite feed from hundreds of stations that subscribe to it. "Yeah, I'd like the Pop 1990's channel please."

BernieP

Resident PIA
This event made me realize that the news played on the local radio stations in the evening is "canned" from the morning. That evening I was listening to 98.3 and the report said police was still looking for the suspect, when I had learned on this forum that he was already in custody.

The morning, in some cases it's from the last edition of the Enterprise and since they are all owned by the same group you can hear the loop on each station if you happen to tune them in at the right time. (they must share a tape).

glhs837

Power with Control
The morning, in some cases it's from the last edition of the Enterprise and since they are all owned by the same group you can hear the loop on each station if you happen to tune them in at the right time. (they must share a tape).

No kidding, word for word most times.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
He's 17 still so unless he is charged as an adult, he'll be going through the juvie court system again.

If he was the gunman, hopefully he'll be upgraded to adult charges.

And he was charged as an adult:

UPDATE: 17-Year-Old Charged with Attempted Murder After Shooting Victim in Face and Back

UPDATE 12/7/2018: On Tuesday, December 4, 2018, at approximately 3:45 p.m., police units responded to the report of a subject shot near 22666 Athlone Drive in Great Mills.

The 19-year-old male victim, who sustained multiple gunshot wounds, was able to report to police that Elijah Miguel Miles, 17 of California, shot him during an altercation with a firearm and then fled on foot in the area.

The victim drove away from the location of the shooting and impacted the residence on Athlone Drive.

A witness reported the vehicle driven by the victim was parked on Shannon Street, when he observed a black male, approximately 15-25, standing outside of the vehicle on the passenger side of the vehicle immediately prior to the witness hearing three loud ”pops”. The witness observed the subject run from the vehicle immediately after the gunshots. The victim simultaneously drove the vehicle away from the Scene toward Athlone Drive where he would eventually crash into a residence and be located by police.

The victim sustained three gunshot wounds, one to the face and two to his back. He was flown via helicopter to an area trauma center and listed in critical condition.

Elijah Miguel Miles, 17 of California was charged as an adult with the following:

Attempted first degree murder
Attempted second degree murder
Assault first degree
Assault second degree
Use of a firearm in a felony/violent crime
Loaded handgun on a person
Reckless Endangerment

Miles is currently being held at the St. Mary’s County Detention and Rehabilitation Center on a no bond status.

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/4449...urder-after-shooting-victim-in-face-and-back/

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If they can make a few of those charges stick, looks like he could be in the pokey for a while.

Comments indicate that this isn't his first rodeo when it come to getting into trouble. Hopefully, that'll help.

BernieP

Resident PIA
If they can make a few of those charges stick, looks like he could be in the pokey for a while.

unfortunately he's 17, so the judge may not know if he has a juvenile record as well.
My guess is that both the shooter and the victim knew each other and it was over a drug deal.
Dealers, not addicts.

Also why Hickory Hills is the Hood that doesn't want to be known as a hood.

Not as bad as Westbury, but not that good either.

The house that had the shooting in Wildewood a year or so back, was over a drug deal gone bad.
Kids living there were azzholes and apparently ripped off the shooter(s).

But that's the way we've taught our little thugs to solve their problems - then blame the gun. Amazing, it's not pop culture glorifying the behavior, or video games the give them points for shooting a guy in the face when committing a crime, not our sports idols who shoot their balls off because they have a gun shoved in their pants. We blame the freaking innanimate object for making shootings popular.
Right up there with being an internet bully.

officeguy

Basically, someone sits there for 30-60 minutes each morning, and then the station building can be totally vacant the entire rest of the day, as long as the system stays online.

That's why when it DOES occasionally fail, the "dead air" lasts so long - someone has to drive out to the site and reboot everything.

And when a major disaster happens, there is nobody home at the station who could broadcast a warning, evacuation instructions, shelter in place etc. If it can't be pushed out through the emergency alert system, there is no way of getting it on the air.

That's also why so many local stations have disappeared - it's hugely more expensive to pay 3 shifts for someone to sit there 24-7 and spin records, than to pay once for a fancy computer system that does EVERYTHING for you, along with some satellite feed subscription service. Why bother when you can rake in the cash for nearly nothing?

That's also why all the music sounds the same no matter where you go - because you're hearing the exact same satellite feed from hundreds of stations that subscribe to it. "Yeah, I'd like the Pop 1990's channel please."

A big reason for the bland radio landscape is that a few companies bought up most of the local stations about 30 years ago. Clear Channel Communications was one of them. It has been reshuffled since, but there is a high degree of centralization. No big difference whether it is a locally owned station that plays a subscription feed or whether it is a nationally owned chain station. Very little production happens on the local level, the only time you hear local reports is if the station is tied in with local TV or a newspaper.

officeguy

This is Maryland. He'll get 20 years with 19 years and 11 months 'suspended'. When he does his next violent crime he gets 30 days of 'backup time', not the 19 years a suspended sentence would call for.