Police Car at Carwash

L

Localboy

Crashtest. I see the big picture, but you don't. All you see is one light not working, and that we should have done more to let traffic turn onto the base. If there were not two more gates we would of done that. We did not put anyone in danger because, there were two more gates that were open to allow people on the base. The other intersections had working traffic lights and turn lanes that could handle the traffic, and get people on the base safely. It just may of taken longer. We cannot control if people do unsafe things because they can't turn where they want to. No one can control the actions of others that is why there are laws and punishments. For example,There are red lights at intersections. However, some people run the red lights knowing it is not safe. They know they may get a ticket or be in a crash, but they still do it There are speed limit signs posted on roadways, and people speed. ect. ect. The illegal U-turn is the same. We can't control what people do. All we can do is try to catch the violators. People need to take responsibility for what they do, and stop making excuses when they get caught.
I did not post to argue with you just to answer some questions that were brought up in the forum. However, I think you are the kind of person who can never be wrong, and your way is always right. Everytime you are proven wrong you change the topic. Now you want to complain about the way a trooper was running radar. You know there are types of people who aren't happy unless they are complaining. I do believe everyone has the right to thier opinion, and we will agree to disagree. Have a nice day, and stop being a cop hater.

For the question about fixing the lights, SHA has a division just for traffic signals. The office is out of Baltimore. Sometimes lights just need to be reset, and the local shop can do that. If it requires more than being reset then they have to come from Baltimore. They same crew handles all traffic lights in Maryland.
Yes, I know the police are not always right, and I will not defend them if they were in the wrong. However, there are alot of hard working dedicate officers in St Mary's that do thier best to help the community. You should look at our crime rate to the surrounding counties. They have all gone up, and ours has gone down. As far as Great Mills Road it is a problem area. We are always working that area hard, and have officers dedicated to the area. Also you should of seen all of the small and large scale operations and round ups that have been conducted there. They were all in the local papers. Remember, we can only lock them up. We aren't the ones who say how long they stay locked up. When they get out, they are gonna go back where they came from. Like someone else said in a post you can't get rid of the people they will only move to another section of town. (remember the Flat Tops. The neighborhood is gone, but the residents are still here)It just happens the Park meets thier needs, homeless shelter, fast food, liquor stores, and low income housing all in walking distance.

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
Regarding the lights out at Gate One. That brought up a question for me.

When the lights went out last week and the officers were directing traffic I ran into a little issue I was unsure about and figured I would throw it out here.

I work at night and was coming off base through Gate 1 while the Traffic Lights were out. I got to the 235 intersection and saw the Lights Blinking. I needed to turn right onto Rt. 235 and head North. When I got to the intersection I had a Red Blinking light. I was the first and only car at the intersection leaving the base. Looked accross the intersection, saw flares and several officers directing traffic. None of them seemed to be focusing on the traffic coming off base so I was unsure what to do. I stopped at the interestion and waited. I was unable to clearly see around the line of cars coming northbound on 235 so I felt uncomfortable trying to ease out into traffic.

So I chose to stop and wait for direction from one of the officers. I had time and was in no rush. Anyway, another fellow pulls up and waits next to me who is a bit impatient. Rolls his windows down and asks if the officers had told me to hold. I advised no but simply chose to wait & see as I would rather do it that way then try to ease out into traffic and cause anymore confusion.

The other fellow gets impatient, gets out of his car and yells accross the road to the officers and asks if we are good to go. I could not hear what the officer said but the fellow gets back in his car and goes. So I do the same.

In this instance, I chose to stop and wait for direction. Now looking back on it I am wondering if I should have just went for it even though I could not clearly see around the line of cars coming Nothbound on 235 turning into Gate 1. I would have had to ease out there quite abit to get the visibility I needed.

Anyway. I was just wondering if any of the officers chiming in on this thread might be able to tell me what the proper thing to have there would have been.

Last edited:

bad1032

Yes thats true about them responding from baltimore or Hanover, We did have keys along time ago but they changed the boxes. The box has to be reset or reprogramed when they get there, It takes about 5 minutes most of the time, No clue why its like that but we have asked many times and get no where,

CrashTest

Crashtest. I see the big picture, but you don't. All you see is one light not working, and that we should have done more to let traffic turn onto the base. If there were not two more gates we would of done that. We did not put anyone in danger because, there were two more gates that were open to allow people on the base. The other intersections had working traffic lights and turn lanes that could handle the traffic, and get people on the base safely. It just may of taken longer. We cannot control if people do unsafe things because they can't turn where they want to. No one can control the actions of others that is why there are laws and punishments. For example,There are red lights at intersections. However, some people run the red lights knowing it is not safe. They know they may get a ticket or be in a crash, but they still do it There are speed limit signs posted on roadways, and people speed. ect. ect. The illegal U-turn is the same. We can't control what people do. All we can do is try to catch the violators. People need to take responsibility for what they do, and stop making excuses when they get caught.
I did not post to argue with you just to answer some questions that were brought up in the forum. However, I think you are the kind of person who can never be wrong, and your way is always right. Everytime you are proven wrong you change the topic. Now you want to complain about the way a trooper was running radar. You know there are types of people who aren't happy unless they are complaining. I do believe everyone has the right to thier opinion, and we will agree to disagree. Have a nice day, and stop being a cop hater.

For the question about fixing the lights, SHA has a division just for traffic signals. The office is out of Baltimore. Sometimes lights just need to be reset, and the local shop can do that. If it requires more than being reset then they have to come from Baltimore. They same crew handles all traffic lights in Maryland.
Yes, I know the police are not always right, and I will not defend them if they were in the wrong. However, there are alot of hard working dedicate officers in St Mary's that do thier best to help the community. You should look at our crime rate to the surrounding counties. They have all gone up, and ours has gone down. As far as Great Mills Road it is a problem area. We are always working that area hard, and have officers dedicated to the area. Also you should of seen all of the small and large scale operations and round ups that have been conducted there. They were all in the local papers. Remember, we can only lock them up. We aren't the ones who say how long they stay locked up. When they get out, they are gonna go back where they came from. Like someone else said in a post you can't get rid of the people they will only move to another section of town. (remember the Flat Tops. The neighborhood is gone, but the residents are still here)It just happens the Park meets thier needs, homeless shelter, fast food, liquor stores, and low income housing all in walking distance.

I guess I was right back on 2 July 2006 when I complained on this forum about the danger of cops jumping out in the road. Apparently the practice has been halted because it was dangerous so I guess I wasn't the only one who thought so.

Refer to the link below if you need a refresher.

http://forums.somd.com/life-southern-maryland/77536-police-driving-habits-3.html

Last edited:

General Lee

This was kind of my whole point. Your strategy makes 235 and Pegg Rd safe but doesn't seem to take into account that you just moved the unsafe situation further down the road.

Theres working traffic signals further down the road. The issue was at the intersection WITHOUT WORKING LIGHTS. Dude, your talking in circles and not getting anywhere.

CrashTest

OK, here’s the situation.

We have a person offering opinions and ideas about how the local police perform their duties. That person is basically told to keep quiet and deal with it the way it is or go back to where they came from. All this despite the fact that the same person has produced hardcore, irrefutable evidence that they expressed an opinion about the police over 2 years ago that turned out to be 100% correct.

Well, in terms of producing an example of the good-old-boy mentality, the scenario outlined above means it’s pretty much game, set, and match. What’s really amazing is that we didn’t even need to look for an example. The example unfolded right here before our very eyes. Talk about people stumbling into their own trap.

sommpd

OK, here’s the situation.

We have a person offering opinions and ideas about how the local police perform their duties. That person is basically told to keep quiet and deal with it the way it is or go back to where they came from. All this despite the fact that the same person has produced hardcore, irrefutable evidence that they expressed an opinion about the police over 2 years ago that turned out to be 100% correct.

Well, in terms of producing an example of the good-old-boy mentality, the scenario outlined above means it’s pretty much game, set, and match. What’s really amazing is that we didn’t even need to look for an example. The example unfolded right here before our very eyes. Talk about people stumbling into their own trap.

You have some serious thought process issues. By your theory, if you score 100% on a test two years ago, then you should get 100% on all future tests? You really should see someone. It should be noted though that you keep brining up a good old boy system, when that has nothing to do with anything. First off, the agency you speak of, more than two thirds of that department comes from outside of the county. So how could a "good old boy" system be in place when people are from such places as Canada, New York, Philidelphia, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, etc. You are a cop basher, just admit it. You have had some negative interaction with a police officer and that has soured you on all police officers.

Get over it. The cops in this situation did their job. Too bad you don't like the way they did it. They did it in the safest manner possible. In one example you don't want police jumping out in front of cars, then in this example you want them stopping cars in the dark. Make up your mind.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
You have some serious thought process issues. By your theory, if you score 100% on a test two years ago, then you should get 100% on all future tests? You really should see someone. It should be noted though that you keep brining up a good old boy system, when that has nothing to do with anything. First off, the agency you speak of, more than two thirds of that department comes from outside of the county. So how could a "good old boy" system be in place when people are from such places as Canada, New York, Philidelphia, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, etc. You are a cop basher, just admit it. You have had some negative interaction with a police officer and that has soured you on all police officers.

Get over it. The cops in this situation did their job. Too bad you don't like the way they did it. They did it in the safest manner possible. In one example you don't want police jumping out in front of cars, then in this example you want them stopping cars in the dark. Make up your mind.

I hope Mr. Poopy Pants didn't poop in anyone's car yesterday. I say free car washes for all deputies! :thewave: