Police Start Using New Radar Guns That Detect More Than Just Speed

Chris0nllyn

What about that cell tower that is putting out 100 times the power of the phone? Will those generate false hits too?

If cell usage is such a massive problem why not mandate cell jammers in every vehicle that activate once the vehicle is moving?

911 regulations.

officeguy

Cell usage isnt the issue, at least not as bad as texting. For whatever reason, folks holding the phone seem to be worse than those talking handsfree.

There is very little evidence for that. The divided attention is what creates 90% of the risk, not holding the handset.

I wish someone still made built-in carphones like Motorola used to. Keypad on the back of the handset right next to the shifter. A green and a red button and 50 programmed numbers. Hands-free with a directional mic on the A-collumn.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There is very little evidence for that. The divided attention is what creates 90% of the risk, not holding the handset.

I wish someone still made built-in carphones like Motorola used to. Keypad on the back of the handset right next to the shifter. A green and a red button and 50 programmed numbers. Hands-free with a directional mic on the A-collumn.

Or we could simply drive our vehicles without needing to be entertained in the process.

glhs837

Power with Control

Funny thing about the research on this topic. Every time I look into it, the researchers set up rules like "You may not be silent for more than 2 seconds or ignore a text for longer than XX amount of time", which ignores the fact that a lot of people do divide attention in a reasonable way, just like they do when talking to passengers. Very few of the people I pass that are driving poorly appear to be having a handsfree conversation, while very many of them are holding phones to their ears. And everybody can have handsfree capability, it costs under $50 and requires no more installation than clipping it to the mirror.

https://www.amazon.com/Jabra-Tour-B...d=1491841092&sr=8-8&keywords=in+car+bluetooth

Or go Chinese and do it for $20.

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-MUL...=1491841092&sr=8-15&keywords=in+car+bluetooth

Or we could simply drive our vehicles without needing to be entertained in the process.

I agree. I never talk for entertainment, just for information. And never have any qualms with just shutting up in driving requires more attention.

officeguy

Funny thing about the research on this topic. Every time I look into it, the researchers set up rules like "You may not be silent for more than 2 seconds or ignore a text for longer than XX amount of time", which ignores the fact that a lot of people do divide attention in a reasonable way, just like they do when talking to passengers.

If you say that it must be true.

Very few of the people I pass that are driving poorly appear to be having a handsfree conversation, while very many of them are holding phones to their ears. And everybody can have handsfree capability, it costs under $50 and requires no more installation than clipping it to the mirror.

Not nearly the same call quality and convenience the built-in phones used to offer.

I agree. I never talk for entertainment, just for information. And never have any qualms with just shutting up in driving requires more attention.

Most of my phone conversations while driving are work related. I mention up front that I am driving and may not be able to give immediate replies.

glhs837

Power with Control
If you say that it must be true.

Not nearly the same call quality and convenience the built-in phones used to offer.

Most of my phone conversations while driving are work related. I mention up front that I am driving and may not be able to give immediate replies.

https://tti.tamu.edu/featured-project/voice-to-text-driver-distraction-study/

Headline says.....
Voice-to-Text Driver Distraction Study:
New research findings suggest that voice-to-text applications offer no real safety advantage over manual texting.

But looking at the video, I noticed the test drivers were still holding a phone. Whats never mentioned in the video, and in interviews you might see? This tidbit, bolding mine......

these new findings suggest that those applications offer no real safety advantage over manual texting if drivers choose to visually confirm the spoken texts.

Well, duh....... and every time I look into these things, I find the same sort of thing. Some requirement like visually reading the text that negates the point of handsfree in the first place.

As to call quality and convenience, have you tried these? I will admit the wifes integrated system is a bit better than the Pioneer radio in the sons 99 BMW, which has a mic that's on the visor but uses the cars speakers, and the module in the daughters Honda Fit, but none are bad. Heck the $20 setup in my helmet has great call quality. Not sure what extra convenience you might like. Phone rings, you hit one button to start the call, another to end it.

Baywatchv8

Cell phones use Omni-directional antenna's, so if they are being used inside a car or truck the signal will bounce off the framework of the vehicle causing it to look like the car itself is emitting the signal. So in that case it would be impossible for the police to say who was using the cellphone and it is only illegal to operate a vehicle and cell phone at the same time not to use a cell phone while in a car/truck as a passenger. What do you think happens when you travel down the road? Your cell phone automatically sends out a signal looking for another cell tower as you move away from a tower, the same signal it sends while you are talking on the phone and it will send a signal until it gets a response.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

You people sure are gullible. You really think there is a hand held device capable of detecting a cell phone transmitting a text in a targeted car traveling at 65-70 miles per hour on a crowded highway when cell phones are constantly transmitting and receiving using the phone's antenna and 4Glte signal even when not in use? But they sure do have you all blathering about it.

glhs837

Power with Control
If I may ...

You people sure are gullible. You really think there is a hand held device capable of detecting a cell phone transmitting a text in a targeted car traveling at 65-70 miles per hour on a crowded highway when cell phones are constantly transmitting and receiving using the phone's antenna and 4Glte signal even when not in use? But they sure do have you all blathering about it.

I will point out that you are the one tossing about terms like 65-70 and crowded. The makers image, which is all we have to go on, shows one car approaching.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
this was 3 yrs ago ........

When a cell phone is being used, it emits radio frequencies that can be picked up and detected. The frequency varies depending on what the phone is being used for—data, voice calling and, of course, texting—which can give a person away if they happen to be secretly tapping away at their phone out of view of any passersby.

A company in Virginia called ComSonics wants to turn this type of sensor into a pointable device that could be used by law enforcement in the same way a radar gun is. If an officer could target your vehicle with the device and detect a texting signal, they might be able to pull you over without ever actually seeing the violation take place.

Privacy hawks take note: The device would only be able to sense that a phone is being used for a specific purpose, and it cannot record or translate that signal into something readable. It’s simply designed to detect.

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/texting-while-driving-gun/

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...ting-drivers-know-it-wasnt-the-passenger.html

Virginia-Pilot reported:

The technology works by detecting the telltale radio frequencies that emit from a vehicle when someone inside is using a cellphone, said Malcolm McIntyre of ComSonics. Cable repairmen use similar means to find where a cable is damaged - from a rodent, for instance - by looking for frequencies leaking in a transmission, McIntyre said.

A text message, phone call and data transfer emit different frequencies that can be distinguished by the device ComSonics is working on, according to McIntyre. That would prove particularly useful for law enforcement in states such as Virginia, where texting behind the wheel is banned but talking on the phone is legal for adult drivers.

officeguy

this was 3 yrs ago ........

It made no technical sense then and it makes no technical sense now. There are no 'different frequencies' for texts, voice and data. They are all transmitted using the same datalink. As someone earlier stated, the signal is omnidirectional and there is no telling whether the pings from a car are from the person driving, a passenger, the cars On-Star system or an ipad that didn't shut down before you shoved it into your bag.

Sounds like a company looking for seed money.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
As someone earlier stated, the signal is omnidirectional and there is no telling whether the pings from a car are from the person driving, a passenger .....

like radar or laser speed guns, you catch the 'loner' or the leader, you are not picking someone out of a pack now with texting .... everyone in the pack is safe from determining who may have been texting

I'm no expert in wireless signal propagation from cell phones ..... the device itself may emit certain 'rf' noise when sending text messages vs talking on a call unrelated to the transmission signals

A police siren can wail, warble, whoop, among other functions. It's the same siren but you can discern the differences between the sounds.

The cell detector works similarly. It discerns the patterns in the data streams which are different when you speak, text and whatever.