Poor, old, sick Hastert.....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Is Hastert a pedophile? My understanding is that his victims were high school. That's not a child and many times they are already sexually active. Everyone's acting like he raped a 5 year old, and that is not the case.

It would be nice if we'd stop with the hysterical rhetoric and call things what they are. What he did was bad enough, it doesn't need embellishment.

Regardless, it is disheartening to hear people like Tom DeLay and other Republicans calling for a more lenient sentence. I don't think 15 months in jail is that draconian, considering what Hastert did.

Totally agree with the first part.

The last part, come on. Jail? He's in trouble because he STOPPED paying. As I understand it, his victims have received millions so far. He's in trouble because he stopped paying and then this whole banking crap about government controlling your money became the issue.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Pedo means a prepubescent child. The reason I care is that when we start calling teen sex "pedophilia" I think it takes away from real pedophilia involving young children. Just like now that everything is called "rape", it belittles real rape, which is forcible sexual intercourse with a person without their consent. I think we should call things what they are.

There it is.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The last part, come on. Jail? He's in trouble because he STOPPED paying. As I understand it, his victims have received millions so far. He's in trouble because he stopped paying and then this whole banking crap about government controlling your money became the issue.

I must admit that thought crossed my mind. So far the one guy had been paid almost $2mil. That's two nights with Demi Moore.

Regardless, what Hastert did was wrong and a crime, so now he gets to pay for it. He gets no pass from me just because he's old.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Nit? Are you serious?

Isn't that hilarious?

Gay sex = hooray!
Gay sex when it's a Republican = HANG HIM!!

Giving young teens condoms and encouraging them to screw = hooray!
Young teens engage in sex with a Republican = PEDOPHILE!!!

At this point we should all be used to the hypocrisy that people like MR feed on. They just make it up as they go along.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I must admit that thought crossed my mind. So far the one guy had been paid almost $2mil. That's two nights with Demi Moore.

Regardless, what Hastert did was wrong and a crime, so now he gets to pay for it. He gets no pass from me just because he's old.

I'm for him being held accountable. However, I think hanging him or shooting him and dumping him in an unmarked grave is insane.

So far, all I can find is he is in trouble for using his own money. Are there sexual abuse charges pending?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm for him being held accountable. However, I think hanging him or shooting him and dumping him in an unmarked grave is insane.

So far, all I can find is he is in trouble for using his own money. Are there sexual abuse charges pending?

Nope, statute of limitations is long gone.

I agree with you, the violent rhetoric is silly village people mentality.

Hijinx

Just a question: Do you believe the people who he was paying the blackmail to should be prosecuted?
I do. By not reporting the offense and taking his money they are as guilty as he.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Just a question: Do you believe the people who he was paying the blackmail to should be prosecuted?
I do. By not reporting the offense and taking his money they are as guilty as he.

In what universe does that make any sense? How in the flying hell is them taking millions of dollars the same as a 20 something year old coach using his position of trust and authority over a high school kid the same thing??????

BlueSunday

Totally agree with the first part.

If he were a Catholic priest you would be calling for his head.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In what universe does that make any sense? How in the flying hell is them taking millions of dollars the same as a 20 something year old coach using his position of trust and authority over a high school kid the same thing??????

Just because two different things are both crimes doesn't mean they are the same. In this country you're not supposed to blackmail people - it's against the law.

However, I believe the person in question is dead - didn't he kill himself? - so the point is moot.

Midnightrider

Nit? Are you serious?
yeah, what you call him isnt really important is it? he molested underage boys who were under his authority. Arguing about what to call that is dumb. The bigger issue is that he skates on the serious charges of molestation because he had the means to pay the victims off for long enough.
Isn't that hilarious?

Gay sex = hooray!
Gay sex when it's a Republican = HANG HIM!!

Giving young teens condoms and encouraging them to screw = hooray!
Young teens engage in sex with a Republican = PEDOPHILE!!!

At this point we should all be used to the hypocrisy that people like MR feed on. They just make it up as they go along.

show where i mentioned anything about his par6ty affiliation. Here is a hint, i didn't. What is funny is you excusing it because he may have taken advantage of guys who were 14 and not 12. I dont see any real difference.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What is funny is you excusing it because he may have taken advantage of guys who were 14 and not 12. I dont see any real difference.

Why don't you learn how to read and get back to me on this? I said at least twice that I have no sympathy for Hastert and he deserves his jail time. Somehow, in your pea brain, you turned that into me excusing him.

Real question: are you mentally ill or just stupid?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
yeah, what you call him isnt really important is it? he molested underage boys who were under his authority. Arguing about what to call that is dumb. The bigger issue is that he skates on the serious charges of molestation because he had the means to pay the victims off for long enough.

How is that the bigger issue? Do you think those boys, and their families, had no right to accept the offer? Or to seek it?

What is dumb is equating high school age kids, post pubescent, having sex with an adult as pedophilia, prepubescent. That right there is some dumb stuff and, as Vrai pointed out, is harmful to dealing with pedophilia and real rape and so forth.

If Hastert was banging high school cheerleaders (girls) would you not be making that silly argument? Or you'd consider that pedophilia, too? I can promise you the 'shoot Hastert' crowd would be changing their tune and be thinking "Bastard. Wish I was him!"

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Just because two different things are both crimes doesn't mean they are the same. In this country you're not supposed to blackmail people - it's against the law.

However, I believe the person in question is dead - didn't he kill himself? - so the point is moot.

As I understand it, it was several boys and I don't know who solicited whom. Further, if these boys and their families felt that they didn't want it known that their boy had sex with 'ol coach, that an agreement was made doesn't fit what I think of as blackmail.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If he were a Catholic priest you would be calling for his head.

That's true.

If it was a massive, powerful institution that knew he was molesting boys and they simply moved him around and paid folks off to keep it quiet, I would see it differently.

As things stand, we're talking about one adult, no school knowledge, ongoing consensual sex and a private financial arrangement.

Thanks for helping make the point. :buddies:

glhs837

Power with Control

show where i mentioned anything about his par6ty affiliation. Here is a hint, i didn't. What is funny is you excusing it because he may have taken advantage of guys who were 14 and not 12. I dont see any real difference.

As far as I know, all of his known crimes of statutory rape were long enough ago that the statute of limitations had run out.