Post your Prime Rib recipe....

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
BG.. I want this for Christmas DINNER!!!

Everyone else can eat bologna!!

Oops... PLEEEEEASE!?
:dork: I HAVE made this before. :lmao:

:yum: And it is a very delicious recipe. The only snag is that it takes a considerable amount of time to reduce two bottles of wine down as the recipe directs. But if you drink a third bottle while the other two are reducing, it's all A-OK. :yay:

pssst: I have a beef tenderloin in the freezer right now. :hinthint:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
:dork: I HAVE made this before. :lmao:

:yum: And it is a very delicious recipe. The only snag is that it takes a considerable amount of time to reduce two bottles of wine down as the recipe directs. But if you drink a third bottle while the other two are reducing, it's all A-OK. :yay:

I'm glad you posted this. How long should I allow? I'm thinking of making it ahead of time.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I'm glad you posted this. How long should I allow? I'm thinking of making it ahead of time.
Well, the first time I tried reducing the wine, I got bored and distracted and ending up burning the wine reduction, so I had to start over with another two bottles of wine. :bawl:

But I seem to recall that the second batch took maybe 45 minutes to reduce down. I don't remember a specific timetable, only that it was a lot longer than I expected.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Well, the first time I tried reducing the wine, I got bored and distracted and ending up burning the wine reduction, so I had to start over with another two bottles of wine. :bawl:

But I seem to recall that the second batch took maybe 45 minutes to reduce down. I don't remember a specific timetable, only that it was a lot longer than I expected.

:yay:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Season it any way you like then cook it at 500 degrees for 7 minutes per pound. Then turn the oven off and in 2 hours it will be cooked to perfection.

T

toppick08

Prime rib is WAY OVERRATED.......Give me a lowly chuck roast.........

GreenHornet

Forget the prime rib we just priced them :bawl:

My wife picked up a big package of them tasty drumsticks. You know those huge suckers that are fed steroids... We'll fry them in the fry daddy and make some grease gravy mashed taters and corn bread. I think I may even make some of special red beans and rice. Oh well that's what we used to eating anyways so we'll know it's a good!

Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for all the replies. I'll keep a few of those recipes available for the future

Goldie

OK, I never thought I would let the cat out of the bag. But there is no reason to take this recipe to the grave. People rave about having the best prime rib ever in my dining room and I serve quite a few throughout the year not just on holidays. I have found that a "Prime Rib" AKA "Standing Rib Roast" is prepared as follows. NOTE: Do not tell the Outback Steakhouse Managers about this thread they are doing just fine on their own. Away from home Outback Steakhouse is my favorite.

Let's start with the Beef. You need to purchase a "Four Rib" "Bone-in" "USDA Choice" "First Cut" "Rib Roast". Very important to start with the right piece of meat. If you don't its like trying to make chicken taste like steak. It's not going to happen. If you do not know the different cuts of beef ask the butcher at your grocery store. They usually will not lie and are very educated in their field. If he or she tells you they do not sell "USDA Choice" find yourself another store. Do not yell at the butcher they just work there. (Note: You do not have to hunt down USDA Prime meat but absolutely avoid USDA Select like the plague.)

Now that you have the perfect cut of BEEF we need to get it ready. The night before you plan to cook your prim rib take it out of the fridge and place it in a cooler on the kitchen floor with no ice in it. We want the roast to get almost to room temperature before we cook it.

When you wake up the next morning pull the beast out of the cooler and place it in a DRY roasting pan bone down. Apply in a liberal amount of salt and pepper ONLY to the exterior of the roast. Ok if you want to rub it, go ahead. Do not put anything else in the roasting pan, no potatoes, no carrots, no onions... NOTHING

Fire up the oven. Pre heat your oven to 500 degrees, we are now going to sear the roast. You see you must do this for two reasons. First we need to kill any bacteria on the outside of the roast and also to we want to lightly brown the outer surface to help retain juices without changing the beautiful red interior of the roast. Place the roast into the 500 degree oven for 5 minuets exactly and then shut off the oven. Keep the door closed but "shut it off" and walk away for about 30 minuets.

After playing cards for 30 minuets turn your oven back on to 160 degrees or the lowest setting you have. If that setting is 170 or 180 that's ok just go buy and shut it off every once and a while for about 10 min intervals. This method of cooking the rib roast is called SLOW ROASTING.

Closely monitor the interior temperature of the roast and remove it at when the interior gets to 139 degrees. Then set it aside for about thirty minuets covered with tin foil.

Slice and serve. There is an art to cutting, first vertically then horizontally to get the right slice of boneless Prime Pib. Practice will prove to be rewarding for your carving skills. I recommend slices about 1 inch thick.

Good luck and enjoy. You may pass this on to your descendants.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I'm not comfortable with leaving it in an ice chest with no ice over night. I mean, what time do you do that?

G

Gemmi

I cook one every christmas eve w/ the same recipe :yum:

It is super easy and last year one of my guest said that it was the best prime rib they have ever had :diva:

Rub a 6-7 pound rib roast w/ unsalted butter sprinkle with plenty of salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

pre heat your oven to 500 degrees... bake roast for 35 minutes then turn down oven to 325 and bake for 25 minutes then turn back up to 425 and roast for another 30 minutes or until the center of the roast reads 125. Remove from the oven and let rest under aluminium foil tent for 15-20 minutes. It is delicious :yay:

Do you cook it in a covered pan? Also what type of pan? TIA

jen8753

I have garlic breath.
I pierce my prime rib with a knife, and stick slices of fresh garlic cloves down into the holes. Then take some chopped rosemary, freshly ground sea salt and pepper and rub it on the outside.
I've never done one in the oven though. I use my ronco rotisserie, hehe!
:drool:

Tomcat

Anytime
Now that you have the perfect cut of BEEF we need to get it ready. The night before you plan to cook your prim rib take it out of the fridge and place it in a cooler on the kitchen floor with no ice in it. We want the roast to get almost to room temperature before we cook it.
When you wake up the next morning pull the beast out of the cooler and place it in a DRY roasting pan bone down. .

When I woke up the next morning all I had was a cooler full of bones, and a dog with a silly grin on his face :shrug:

Note to self: Next time put the cooler on the counter:doh:

As far as favorite recipe, let my brother do it like he always does for Christmas.

Last edited:

lovinmaryland

Do you cook it in a covered pan? Also what type of pan? TIA

I use a thick cookie sheet (calphalon brand) that I line with aluminuim foil for easy clean up :wink:
I am going tomorrow to safeway to get my roast one of the butchers there is my client so he is saving me a big fat perfectly marbeled one :yahoo:

R

RadioPatrol

I cook one every christmas eve w/ the same recipe :yum:

It is super easy and last year one of my guest said that it was the best prime rib they have ever had :diva:

Rub a 6-7 pound rib roast w/ unsalted butter sprinkle with plenty of salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

pre heat your oven to 500 degrees... bake roast for 35 minutes then turn down oven to 325 and bake for 25 minutes then turn back up to 425 and roast for another 30 minutes or until the center of the roast reads 125. Remove from the oven and let rest under aluminium foil tent for 15-20 minutes. It is delicious :yay:

Dinner @ your house ? what time should the Forum Show Up ? :jet:

nosey

Oven set at 500.
Mix some flour, salt and pepper and cover roast. Let it get to room temp.
Tent roast with aluminum foil and cook for 9 min/lb.
Turn off oven and let sit in oven for 2 hours. Don't open the oven!
Take out and let sit for a few. Yummy, medium rare roast.