Pre-Existing Conditions

PeoplesElbow

Many people who used to have insurance no longer have it because they cannot afford it. What happens to them?
Many are barely affording insurance now and increases may force them to quit it, what happens to them.

Personally I am old and have Medicaid , plus BC&BS, and I have had BC & BS for over 50 years, I don't see myself having a pre-existing condition.
Like I said. I like it that people with pre existing conditions can get insurance, but not if it causes others to have rates , premiums and Deductibles that forces them from having any.

People almost always could get insurance through a state program, the kicker was that it was very expensive. That is why group plans etc are cheaper, it spreads the risk to the underwriter and they can make money off it. Imagine if an insurance company only offered insurance to high risk persons, they would either have to charge a butt load or lose so much money they would go out of business.

Insurance got expensive when it started covering everything. My mom was a perfect example, after my dad passed away she had several options to choose from, one was over $300/month more and it included all prescription coverage. Mom thought she needed that for some reason, she hadn't had a prescription in years, in the 12 years since my dad passed away she has had three prescriptions and collectively they cost maybe $50. Now if insurance only covered the expensive stuff like care for cancer or heart attack it would be much cheaper, but people don't want to pay for a simple splinter removal, compounding this insurance demands certian conditions be met so said splinter removal costs 10x what it would have cost ole Doc Johnson to do when he simply had a receptionist to make appointments.

philibusters

Encroaching on states' rights? Really? *lol*

I live in Maryland and my auto insurance co is based in Texas. So is my homeowner's insurance. I am insured by USAA.

Nationwide sells insurance across state lines. Where is this interfering with states' rights? If an insurance co wants to sell in a certain state, they will abide by THAT state's regulations. It's done (or not) all the time.

I think you are misunderstanding what it means to sell across state lines. Currently nobody can sell across state lines. You can buy Bluecross Blueshield in all 50 states. That doesn't mean they can sell across state lines. Basically any policy sold in Maryland has to conform to all the Maryland laws regarding health insurance. Likewise Geico can sell car insurance in all fifty states. However, any policy Geico sells of car insurance in Maryland has to conform with Maryland's laws for car insurance. Companies are not allowed to sell car insurance policies across state lines. Right now Geico for example would have a specific policy that they sell in each state that meets each state's requirements.

If they changed the rules to allow companies to sell across states lines, a person in Maryland could buy a car insurance or healt insurance policy that doesn't meet the requirements established in the Maryland statutes.

That is why I was saying people in New York could buy much cheaper insurance if they are allowed to buy across state laws because New York has a lot of extra regulations for health insurance (it has to cover all these extra things) that make it more expensive. Whereas people who live in states that don't have a lot of regulations now wouldn't see a big difference in price.

It is taking away state's right because right now you cannot buy a car insurance or health insurance policy that doesn't meet all the requirements of the Maryland Code. If they change the rules, you could, so Maryland cannot regulate the rules within their state.

philibusters

Also: you don't have to believe Obamacare is going kaput. Don't take my word for it at all. Take the word of Congress, as they are the ones calling that shot.

In the sense that Congress is trying to make it go kaput you are correct. But there is a sense sometimes that Obamacare would collapse on its own if Congress didn't do anything and I think that is false.

I am also unsure if Congress will be able to replace Obamacare. It is going to depend on the Freedom Caucus. The Senate is going to pass somewhere in between Obamacare and what the House passed. Will the conservatives in the Freedom Caucus being willing to do agree to do? If they won't, then Obamacare is not going to be replaced.

Hijinx

In the sense that Congress is trying to make it go kaput you are correct. But there is a sense sometimes that Obamacare would collapse on its own if Congress didn't do anything and I think that is false.

I am also unsure if Congress will be able to replace Obamacare. It is going to depend on the Freedom Caucus. The Senate is going to pass somewhere in between Obamacare and what the House passed. Will the conservatives in the Freedom Caucus being willing to do agree to do? If they won't, then Obamacare is not going to be replaced.

Obamacare is running out of Insurance companies. Either a massive Insurance Company bailout or Obamacare dies.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I think you are misunderstanding what it means to sell across state lines. Currently nobody can sell across state lines. You can buy Bluecross Blueshield in all 50 states.

Actually, people cannot buy BlueCross BlueShield in all 50 states. People who have BlueCross BlueShield actually buy different insurance based on the state they live in. In Maryland, it's CareFirst. In Virginia, it's Anthem. In New York, it's Empire, etc. etc. They all wear the BlueCross BlueShield emblem so people can see affiliated doctors across the country but they are separate companies. BlueCross BlueShield is an association of separate companies.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Obamacare is running out of Insurance companies. Either a massive Insurance Company bailout or Obamacare dies.

Nope. Try to remember, Obamacare was intended to have this effect. It was intended to fail. The bailout was intended to be single-payer.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
VA Quality Care for All!

Given the choice between VA and nothing, what would you choose? The VAST majority of us can not afford the average, AVERAGE $17,000 a year cost of a good family health care program.

Further, my limited experiences with the VA, taking a vet pal in for some treatment, was an excellent experience and he speaks highly of it from a fairly well traveled perspective. :shrug:

stgislander

PREMO Member
ANY plan that can get premiums and deductibles back down is a winner in my book. I'm not sure AHCA is that plan.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Given the choice between VA and nothing, what would you choose? The VAST majority of us can not afford the average, AVERAGE $17,000 a year cost of a good family health care program.

Further, my limited experiences with the VA, taking a vet pal in for some treatment, was an excellent experience and he speaks highly of it from a fairly well traveled perspective. :shrug:

The average spending on an individual's healthcare is $17,000?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I didn't vote for this #### I got railroaded

As I said to some pals today who can find NO good in Trump, little in Obama and are not happy, at all, with some of Bernie's post election foundering (as opposed to taking action against those in the party who hacked HIS election), if nothing else, Trump proved our system is NO rigged. No one in the establishment wanted him, not R or L.

This_person

As I said to some pals today who can find NO good in Trump, little in Obama and are not happy, at all, with some of Bernie's post election foundering (as opposed to taking action against those in the party who hacked HIS election), if nothing else, Trump proved our system is NO rigged. No one in the establishment wanted him, not R or L.

But, but, but, but.....THE RUSSIANS!!!!!!