Pre-K Registration "terms"

gretchen

Kinda sucks when your children are punished simply because you, as their parent, decided to make the right decisions when you were growing up. Education, job, good marriage, etc.

Just think.... that red-headed, 3rd grade educated, single mother of 5 will be able to send all her kids to Harvard soon....

Children not getting into prek isn't that big of a deal unless you needed it for free childcare. Mothers can simply teach their own kids how to act and work with them to have them ready for kindergarten. This is actually the job as a mother,not to just crap them out for daycares and schools to train.
Second,if all of the single moms with five kids could send them to Harvard,wouldn't that be a good thing? Not all single moms are single by their own fault. Some man wants to act stupid and the woman has the good sense to leave and take on a huge responsibility - that's commendable,not something to be embarrassed of. Women can do everything right - go to college,have a good job,get married first - only to see some douche flush it down the toilet.

SG_Player1974

Please do not make this a single mother bashing thread.

Its not bashing... its the truth.

Children not getting into prek isn't that big of a deal unless you needed it for free childcare. Mothers can simply teach their own kids how to act and work with them to have them ready for kindergarten. This is actually the job as a mother,not to just crap them out for daycares and schools to train.
Second,if all of the single moms with five kids could send them to Harvard,wouldn't that be a good thing? Not all single moms are single by their own fault. Some man wants to act stupid and the woman has the good sense to leave and take on a huge responsibility - that's commendable,not something to be embarrassed of. Women can do everything right - go to college,have a good job,get married first - only to see some douche flush it down the toilet.

I am not saying that people in these circumstances do not deserve an opportunity to send their kids to Pre-K or any other service. What I am saying is that they should have to wait in line like everyone else. Some people did take the time to do things correctly, make good choices, and need these programs for good and honorable reasons (not as a parent substitute) and they are penalized in favor of someone else just because they don't have their act together.

Reminds me of a certain charter school in the local area. Friend went to see what it was about and to attempt to get their child into the program. They were told that new children were chosen in a lottery. What was funny and upset them was that the enrollment forms to be considered asked questions like "What is your gross household income? and "What is your race?"

Why do you need to know the income and the race if it is selection by lottery? :shrug:

sockgirl77

Not all single moms are single by their own fault. Some man wants to act stupid and the woman has the good sense to leave and take on a huge responsibility - that's commendable,not something to be embarrassed of.
I cannot believe that I am agreeing with you, but EXACTLY. God knows that I never intended on being a single mother.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Its not bashing... its the truth.

I am not saying that people in these circumstances do not deserve an opportunity to send their kids to Pre-K or any other service. What I am saying is that they should have to wait in line like everyone else. Some people did take the time to do things correctly, make good choices, and need these programs for good and honorable reasons (not as a parent substitute) and they are penalized in favor of someone else just because they don't have their act together.

Reminds me of a certain charter school in the local area. Friend went to see what it was about and to attempt to get their child into the program. They were told that new children were chosen in a lottery. What was funny and upset them was that the enrollment forms to be considered asked questions like "What is your gross household income? and "What is your race?"

Why do you need to know the income and the race if it is selection by lottery? :shrug:

The charter school is a WEIGHTED lottery. By race. Not super fair, however, that allows them to keep a ratio similar to that of the population.

sockgirl77

Do you believe everything that you hear? You shouldn't because this is NOT the truth. You are referring to CPCS (the only local charter school). There's no enrollment forms before you are chosen. You fill out an application. Race is a question that they legally have to ask. They are a public school, that's why. You do not ASK to be considered. Your name is drawn from a hat, literally. How do I know this? Mine went there for 4 years. My children are white and they had no idea what my income level was. :yay:

BTW, here's the link to said form: http://schools.smcps.org/cpcs/images/Alliance/AdminForms/CPCS_Application_2015_2016.pdf

P.S. CPCS is 75% white and above poverty line. :yay:

sockgirl77

The charter school is a WEIGHTED lottery. By race. Not super fair, however, that allows them to keep a ratio similar to that of the population.

It is? Since when? I'd really like you to tell me just how you've come up with this. As I just posted to SGPlayer, the school is mostly white and those application forms are not seen by those who pull names.

SG_Player1974

If it is not weighted... then why ask the question? Please do not give me the "It's a public school" thing. If race is not an issue... no need to ask. Simple as that!

sockgirl77

If it is not weighted... then why ask the question? Please do not give me the "It's a public school" thing. If race is not an issue... no need to ask. Simple as that!

For statistics. They need to keep record of who applies. Is it that hard to understand? If it was otherwise, they'd be a school full of minority students which is clearly is not.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
It is? Since when? I'd really like you to tell me just how you've come up with this. As I just posted to SGPlayer, the school is mostly white and those application forms are not seen by those who pull names.

Directly from their website.

"CPCS shall actively recruit and encourage student applicants from a wide cross-section of the St. Mary’s County community with the aim of including, to the extent possible, a level of racial, ethnic, student ability, and socio-economic diversity that closely approximates that of the St. Mary’s County Public School system as a whole. To achieve this goal and to maximize the potential positive impact of CPCS on the enrollment conditions in county schools and, additionally, to have a beneficial financial effect on the schools whose enrollments are affected by CPCS, weighted lotteries and active recruitment will occur when necessary."

sockgirl77

And no one is blaming you!

The question is/was... Why do you deserve any more consideration than anyone else simply because you are a single mom?

Did I say that I agreed with it? If you read the entire thread you will see where I posted the factors and my reaction to educational needs being the least important factor. I certainly do not feel that me or my kids deserve any more consideration because I chose to spread my legs with the wrong men. You will not see me playing the single mom card. I actually despise women that use being a single mom as an excuse to not flourish in life. I do not want to get lumped into the stereotypical single mom category. That is why I reacted the way that I did to your original post. :yay:

gretchen

I think they should line the little ones up and smell their backpacks. If it smells like Newports,they get extra points.

SG_Player1974

For statistics. They need to keep record of who applies. Is it that hard to understand? If it was otherwise, they'd be a school full of minority students which is clearly is not.

Statistics? Oh... you mean racial make-up.... got it! :yay:

If it was otherwise... it would probably be a school full of students that actually got it on an equal basis. Not because of race, gender, or income.

SG_Player1974

Did I say that I agreed with it? If you read the entire thread you will see where I posted the factors and my reaction to educational needs being the least important factor. I certainly do not feel that me or my kids deserve any more consideration because I chose to spread my legs with the wrong men. You will not see me playing the single mom card. I actually despise women that use being a single mom as an excuse to not flourish in life. I do not want to get lumped into the stereotypical single mom category. That is why I reacted the way that I did to your original post. :yay:

Sorry.. poorly worded by saying "Why do you deserve...."

Wasn't directly singling you out. Should have said "Why do single mothers, economically challenged, etc. people deserve more consideration?"

MMDad

Lem Putt
Sorry.. poorly worded by saying "Why do you deserve...."

Wasn't directly singling you out. Should have said "Why do single mothers, economically challenged, etc. people deserve more consideration?"

Because there is historical data that these children are at higher risk of failure once they reach kindergarten. That affects all kids as they slow down to bring the "disadvantaged" kids up to speed. So they invented programs like Head Start and pre-K to help out the kids who needed it most. They use risk factors to determine who is most in need of that extra help.

Of course, now we end up with a program that was only intended for those truly in need being desired by all, especially those who do not have children in need. Socki's son was developmentally delayed, so he is who the program is intended to help. The program is not intended to help kids who do not have any of the risk factors, and it is not "unfair" to exclude those kids from the program.

It's amazing how people see a program that is intended to help the truly needy and get all greedy demanding their piece of the pie. That's how we end up with so many people on food stamps.

SG_Player1974

Because there is historical data that these children are at higher risk of failure once they reach kindergarten. That affects all kids as they slow down to bring the "disadvantaged" kids up to speed. So they invented programs like Head Start and pre-K to help out the kids who needed it most. They use risk factors to determine who is most in need of that extra help.

Of course, now we end up with a program that was only intended for those truly in need being desired by all, especially those who do not have children in need. Socki's son was developmentally delayed, so he is who the program is intended to help. The program is not intended to help kids who do not have any of the risk factors, and it is not "unfair" to exclude those kids from the program.

It's amazing how people see a program that is intended to help the truly needy and get all greedy demanding their piece of the pie. That's how we end up with so many people on food stamps.

I agree with your points 100%

Just one question.....

Since when did race or economic situation become "risk factors" that should effect everyone? Just because a child is born black, brown, red, blue... does not automatically mean they are educationally challenged. Just because mom and dad make minimum wage does not automatically make them educationally challenged.

In the true spirit of your argument, these programs should exclude ALL children that do not have a learning disability or learning impairment.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I agree with your points 100%

Just one question.....

Since when did race or economic situation become "risk factors" that should effect everyone? Just because a child is born black, brown, red, blue... does not automatically mean they are educationally challenged. Just because mom and dad make minimum wage does not automatically make them educationally challenged.

In the true spirit of your argument, these programs should exclude ALL children that do not have a learning disability or learning impairment.

Economic situation is a risk factor because years of data show that poor kids are at a disadvantage. Poverty is frequently associated with absent parents, uneducated parents, parents who are too busy trying to survive to work with their kids, lack of resources, and a lack of social infrastructure that promotes early development.

I'm not aware of any race based requirements for pre-k. Are you?