Pre=paid Credit Cards

designerxboi

Situation Figured Out

Originally posted by Nickel
I agree, Visa/MC check cards are the way to go, but I've had bad experiences with Bank of America. On more than one occasion, their ATMs have reflected a negative balance on my account when I had funds available. I'd go to the ATM, only to get a message saying I had no available funds. I'd go inside, the teller would say "No, you have x amount of dollars in your account". To which I would reply "Yes, I know this, however your ATM is saying I have negative dollars, so I have no access to my money". The only thing they could do have me write a check to cash. Good thing it wasn't a Sunday and an emergency. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the advice and opinions :) I bank with CPFCU and they have a Visa Check Card so I signed up for it last week. I havent gotten my card in the mail yet but cant wait to get it. I also got a loan to combine two of my 3 bills into one, with a lower interest rate and payment

:)

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
You do realize that the Visa Check Card is just like writing a check, don't you? If the funds are not in your account, your transaction will be denied. This will do nothing for your credit rating.

Originally posted by Chasey_Lane
You do realize that the Visa Check Card is just like writing a check, don't you? If the funds are not in your account, your transaction will be denied. This will do nothing for your credit rating.
I worked with a man that was horrible with his money... he came to work all excited one day because he received a new visa card in the mail and since he had maxed out every other card he had, it was like "found money"...:rolleyes:

A couple weeks later he came in pizzed as heck because he got his bank statement and only then realized it was a visa check card and that all of his transactions were being taken out of his checking account and that he was majorly overdrawn and had bounced pretty much all of the checks he had written out for bills... :doh:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Originally posted by kwillia
I worked with a man that was horrible with his money... he came to work all excited one day because he received a new visa card in the mail and since he had maxed out every other card he had, it was like "found money"...:rolleyes:

A couple weeks later he came in pizzed as heck because he got his bank statement and only then realized it was a visa check card and that all of his transactions were being taken out of his checking account and that he was majorly overdrawn and had bounced pretty much all of the checks he had written out for bills... :doh:
Not surprisingly, this probably happens ALL the time. :ohwell: :lol:

FirstClass

what is the difference between a Pre-paid credit card and Visa Check card. I am not understanding this whole delima. :confused:
If you know how much you have in your account then you know how much you can spend, just like having a pre paid card. I get in trouble with mine b/c it is all I use and sometimes I will forget to write a purchase in the check book and it's be all messed up. I have yet to overdraw money, but the good thing about CPFCU if you do accidently over draw they will automatically take it from your savings up to $500 with no charge.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Originally posted by FirstClass
what is the difference between a Pre-paid credit card and Visa Check card. I am not understanding this whole delima. :confused:
If you know how much you have in your account then you know how much you can spend, just like having a pre paid card. I get in trouble with mine b/c it is all I use and sometimes I will forget to write a purchase in the check book and it's be all messed up. I have yet to overdraw money, but the good thing about CPFCU if you do accidently over draw they will automatically take it from your savings up to $500 with no charge.
Right, however, prepaid cards can build your credit. A check card will not. :duh:

FirstClass

Right, however, prepaid cards can build your credit. A check card will not. :duh:

:rolleyes: she said it wasn't about establishing credit, I don't know anything about pre paid credit cards, never had one and won't need need one, but a couple of people have stated that pre paid credit cards didn't build credit so I was just going off of what they said:rolleyes:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
:rolleyes: she said it wasn't about establishing credit, I don't know anything about pre paid credit cards, never had one and won't need need one, but a couple of people have stated that pre paid credit cards didn't build credit so I was just going off of what they said:rolleyes:
what is the difference between a Pre-paid credit card and Visa Check card.
Originally posted by Chasey Lane
Right, however, prepaid cards can build your credit. A check card will not.
:rolleyes:

designerxboi

In my earlier posts I said that it wasnt about building up my credit rating.

I'm aware of how the Visa Check Card works, I talked to the woman at the bank about it before I signed up. I need it to use online, if and when I need to use it.

designerxboi

Originally posted by kwillia

lol.....oops!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
If it isn't about credit why not just open another account at your bank, deposit what you want available as you would with a secured-card (possibly in an interest earning account) and get a check card for that account.

designerxboi

Originally posted by Ken King
If it isn't about credit why not just open another account at your bank, deposit what you want available as you would with a secured-card (possibly in an interest earning account) and get a check card for that account.

Before posting this and reading all the replies I didnt know what a visa check card was. Now that I know what it is and how it works its the ideal choice for what I need it for. There isnt any need to open another account, I'm not going to be using it that often. Thanks for the idea though.