President of Pax River Raiders

MarieB

Bernie, I imagine the rules requiring those in contact with children to pass a background check are there for a reason. This man should not have passed that check, if one was ever made. It could be that he is reformed, but he might not be. It is the parents right to decide who gets to interact with their child and no responsible parent would ever knowingly expose their child to a child rapist.

The man should not be having contact with children, especially through an organization that has implicitly claimed (by requiring coaches have background checks done) that their coaches, at the very least, have no criminal background.

Would this have even shown up on a background check? I'm asking because I don't really know - he's not required to register, and it was some time ago. Does the statute of limitations apply to a background check? AS far as I know, a background check only goes so far. I haven't read the judgement, so I'm not sure if he was required to stay away from kids

broncosrule

Who's there?
Would this have even shown up on a background check? I'm asking because I don't really know - he's not required to register, and it was some time ago. Does the statute of limitations apply to a background check? AS far as I know, a background check only goes so far. I haven't read the judgement, so I'm not sure if he was required to stay away from kids

According to this: http://www.stmarysmd.com/docs/CSDisqualifyingOffenses.pdf

He would be banned for life if the background check was really done.

Hank

my war
I said LUST, and you must be the 40 year old virgin if some young thing hasn't turned your head. Just as adults we realized acting on that moment would be wrong. And trust me, I don't remember girls in my middle school days looking as "mature" as they do now.

You sick ####! If 13 year olds are turning your head, you need help, holmes! Regardless of how mature they look, I highly doubt you could mistake a 13 year old for a female "of age"...

If I was this child's Father it would be a moot point because he would probably be swimming with the fishes .... And I have no dog in this fight... The chances of a sexual predator being rehabilitated is slim to none! Get a grip, dude!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You sick ####! If 13 year olds are turning your head, you need help, holmes! Regardless of how mature they look, I highly doubt you could mistake a 13 year old for a female "of age"...

If I was this child's Father it would be a moot point because he would probably be swimming with the fishes .... And I have no dog in this fight... The chances of a sexual predator being rehabilitated is slim to none! Get a grip, dude!

I agree, it is wrong. On all counts.

My guess is that if these children were in foster care, neither of their parents are in the immediate picture.

MarieB

So, if a background check were done it would have shown up?

Regardless, the regulations in your link are clear

Thanks!

on a side note - someone with this history should have steered clear of sporting events that involve children. If he had children himself I could understand him wanting to be involved but only in a way he could, but I've seen no indication that it's the case.

L

letmetellyou

I'm not excusing what he did. And sorry, I was going by the "I've known him for 15 years and didn't know..." comment.

2005, so 7 years later, has he had a repeat offense, or any offense.

Who knows? Predators get better at what they did and don't often get caught for a while. Why would a guy with this sort of history want to put himself around kids?

Who amongst us is without sin? Would you revoke the license for anyone who received a speeding tickets. DIU's get several cracks at it before they get punished and then after paying their dues, get to drive again.

Are you really equating a sex crime against a child to a driving violation?

Because it is a "sex crime" the man is branded for life. It's one thing if it's demonstrated the offender has a pattern of behavior, but because of one incident he's assumed to be a risk.

Yes!

You have a terrible problem reading, I didn't condone having sex with a 13 year old, and again please forgive me if I didn't know his name. I said LUST, and you must be the 40 year old virgin if some young thing hasn't turned your head. Just as adults we realized acting on that moment would be wrong. And trust me, I don't remember girls in my middle school days looking as "mature" as they do now.

I'm not a 40 year old virgin, but am a father of two teenage daughters. I have NEVER once had a lustful thought about them, or any of their juvenile friends. What type of warped person would?

But thank god for the internet, we can now persecute an individual for life regardless of what reforms they have made.
Maybe it's because I've lived a little to long and seen a lot of dumb ####, a lot of corner cases. Maybe because we took a system that was meant to help protect society against predators and now use it as a weapon of persecution.
His story is relevant in only that it goes to a pattern of behavior, a predictor of what he might do in the future, it does not excuse the offense.
So, I ask, is he a danger to society? Is he a danger to the children?

Oh, and one last shot, or is this a witch hunt being done for personal reasons? Not that we've never seen that before and not that we haven't seen petty and vindictive behavior around youth football programs before either.

It would only be a persecution if the person was innocent. Why are you defending this guy? Why you trust this guy with your kids? Sex crimes are the most under reported crime there is because victims' don't want to face the scrutiny. Who knows if this guy did this again. What I know is it is very odd he would want to put himself in a position where he is around kids!

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

I know of one 13 year old that you would swear was 20, so I'm sure there are more.

concerndad1972

I spoke to the County yesterday and was told that a background check was performed when he coached for the Pax River Raiders and the flag football league in the County. The background form was turned in and the check was ran, it came back with the charge on it and the Sports director at the time signed off on it saying he knew Harold and coached him in youth soccer when he was a child. Harold also coached youth indoor soccer a few years back and this a county ran program and they still allowed him to coach. What the hell do they do the checks on them for, if someone in the office can over ride what comes back? I also was told when the County overturns them the leagues are told the checks come back ok. This is crazy!

sockgirl77

I spoke to the County yesterday and was told that a background check was performed when he coached for the Pax River Raiders and the flag football league in the County. The background form was turned in and the check was ran, it came back with the charge on it and the Sports director at the time signed off on it saying he knew Harold and coached him in youth soccer when he was a child. Harold also coached youth indoor soccer a few years back and this a county ran program and they still allowed him to coach. What the hell do they do the checks on them for, if someone in the office can over ride what comes back? I also was told when the County overturns them the leagues are told the checks come back ok. This is crazy!

Gotta love this county!

inkah

So Paxton signed off because the guy was his friend? Is that what the county told you? Is Paxton even old enough to have coached Harold?

Bloody pointless those checks, eh?

sockgirl77

So Paxton signed off because the guy was his friend? Is that what the county told you? Is Paxton even old enough to have coached Harold?

Bloody pointless those checks, eh?

If you're referring to Pixton, he was not the Sports Director. He ran the Raiders, not Rec and Parks. I believe Arthur Shepard was the Director back then but I may be wrong. I'm pretty sure that Kenny Sothoron was the Sports Coordinator then and I'm also pretty sure that he coached soccer.

concerndad1972

Judging from the Raiders facebook page, Mr. Berg is still involved with the Raiders, he is in every picture they have on there from Homecoming this past weekend. Even has one on there with him in the booth and a lot of kids in the booth with him.

I guess it is ok as long as he doesn't call himself a Coach. Wow!! the smile on his face says it all, I did a crime and now I am around kids!

BernieP

Resident PIA
Just to stir the pot some.

This is for the original poster and all those that have complained.

Why have you not gone to the newspapers? Written letters to the editor?

I've not seen anythingi in the EmptyPrize about this?

Just wondering...

I mean it would seem you have a legitimate concern / complaint, that there is a breakdown in the system or even worse, some corruption.

Wouldn't this be something the 4th estate should be on?

meatfist

Just to stir the pot some.

This is for the original poster and all those that have complained.

Why have you not gone to the newspapers? Written letters to the editor?

I've not seen anythingi in the EmptyPrize about this?

Just wondering...

I mean it would seem you have a legitimate concern / complaint, that there is a breakdown in the system or even worse, some corruption.

Wouldn't this be something the 4th estate should be on?

Ask the Enterprise yourself. They have all this info and have chose to do nothing with it.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Ask the Enterprise yourself. They have all this info and have chose to do nothing with it.

Letters to the Editor?
Are you claiming a conspiracy? That the Enterprise is part of a coverup?

What I see is that the letters to the editor and this forum can both be used to pubilcally discuss issues. The diffrerence is that this forum allows some annonimity while letters to the editor have to be signed.

Again, I don't have a dog in the fight. But given the history of youth football in this county I am skeptical that there is not more to this "expose" than meets the eye.

mamaof1

Letters to the Editor?
Are you claiming a conspiracy? That the Enterprise is part of a coverup?

What I see is that the letters to the editor and this forum can both be used to pubilcally discuss issues. The diffrerence is that this forum allows some annonimity while letters to the editor have to be signed.

Again, I don't have a dog in the fight. But given the history of youth football in this county I am skeptical that there is not more to this "expose" than meets the eye.

In agreement with Bernie P - to let the media help sort this out. (I also, do not have a dog in this fight) - but there are other media outlets besides the Enterprise that you can take this to. Whether you like them or not - they can get you exposure: County Times, theBayNet, smnewsnet.

Just a suggestion. Best of luck to you.

inkah

If you're referring to Pixton, he was not the Sports Director. He ran the Raiders, not Rec and Parks. I believe Arthur Shepard was the Director back then but I may be wrong. I'm pretty sure that Kenny Sothoron was the Sports Coordinator then and I'm also pretty sure that he coached soccer.

Thanks for clearing that up!

BernieP

Resident PIA
In agreement with Bernie P - to let the media help sort this out. (I also, do not have a dog in this fight) - but there are other media outlets besides the Enterprise that you can take this to. Whether you like them or not - they can get you exposure: County Times, theBayNet, smnewsnet.

Just a suggestion. Best of luck to you.

I suspect what they want is anonymity. A legit news organization isn't going to publish without people going on the record.
Like I said, write letters to the editor. Keep writing. But you have to sign your name.