Psoriatic arthritis

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
So I've got it and it makes all of my joints hurt, but mostly the knees. I've went to the dermatologist and the orthopedist about it and they both have different ideas. The Dermatologist wants to start me on a biologic medicine that will screw with my immune system and the ortho wants to do knee replacement. If I have knee replacement I can live with the stiff fingers and elbows, but if I have the biologic it could take care of everything while screwing with my ability to fight off a cold. Anyone got any insights?

Clem72

So I've got it and it makes all of my joints hurt, but mostly the knees. I've went to the dermatologist and the orthopedist about it and they both have different ideas. The Dermatologist wants to start me on a biologic medicine that will screw with my immune system and the ortho wants to do knee replacement. If I have knee replacement I can live with the stiff fingers and elbows, but if I have the biologic it could take care of everything while screwing with my ability to fight off a cold. Anyone got any insights?
You aren't likely to die from stiff fingers.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Is it possible to do both? Get the knees repaired, then start a treatment of biologics.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I have PA also and it's a horrible thing to suffer with but I am not open to using a biologic to halt my immune system at a time when a serious virus can kill me. I guess it depends on each person's life and for me I get exposed to 300 children a week with germs so it's not a good thing for me to do but someone who isn't in public around sick people might want to try it.

rio

My husband has had PA since he was 23 years old ( so 30 years now). The only way his can be controlled is by drugs. He's been (at different times)on methotrexate and prednisone, enbrel injections, cosentyx injections, and right now because of insurance f'ing with authorizations, he's on tremfiya, methotrexate and prednisone. Anyway, the point I'm getting to is that his Dr. is very good at keeping up with his blood work to ensure that the drugs are not messing up his vital organs, and he's never had a problem with his immune system from the drugs. PA itself will screw with your immune system, but he's not had any issues with colds, flu or covid being worse for him than it has been for others. Your doctor can help you determine your risk factors based on overall health and the severity of the PA.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Next step is to track down a rheumatologist, git him to give me a completely different treatment option.