Punk kids on murdercycles

luvmygdaughters

I've known quite a few "bikers" in my 60 years. My ex used to have one, as did my SIL and several friends. I've got to say, the majority of bikers out there are courteous, friendly people who operate their vehicle in a safe manner. I've also noticed 90% of them are Harley owners. Crotch Rocket riders on the other hand...a completely different set of rules/standards. I've never seen one doing the speed limit, unless forced to do so by traffic. I've seen them ride down the middle of the road between cars, speed thru red lights, pass on double yellow lines and hills. They have total disregard for their own life (which is fine by me) but no regard for others they may be putting in jeopardy, and rarely do you see one by itself, usually 3 or 4 of them together.

glhs837

Power with Control
I see Harley riders do unsafe stuff every day. Every sunny day that is:) Failure to signal, unsafe lane changes, following too closely, and my lord, the safety violations every time more than one of them rides in formation. Lets not confuse slow with safe.

It's not 90% of Harley riders that are courteous and friendly and always obey the law. It's really 90% of all bikers. The fast ones that dont drive like lunatics, the dual sport riders most of you would never notice beyond "Why, that's an odd motorcycle, so big and tall", the touring guys with bikes the size of Honda coupes.

Just like 90% of almost all groups of people re just fine, and 10% are attention getting #######s.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm willing to bet he doesn't automatically think "murdercycle" when he spots a "crotch-rocket" doing pretty much the normal speed limit and not zig-zagging in traffic.

Someone said it gives all riders a bad name. Well, if so, then, if we're gonna generalize, why not generalize against the FAR greater menace, car drivers? I've seen little rice burners with the loud cans for exhaust driving pretty aggressive. I've seen them driven 'normal'. I've seen ALL sorts of cars driven like maniacs. You wanna have fun, go for a bike ride and see how many people, of any and all sorts of cars, who are texting, drifting in and out of lanes, going way too slow at one moment and then having to suddenly slow as they notice they're about to rear end someone. I followed a kid in a jeep the other day on 70 for several miles and just sat in his blind spot and watched him text and text and text on his phone MOUNTED right up on the dash, in clear view. Amazing. Took him several miles to even begin to sense anyone else was nearby as I simply drifting away from him as he drifting in and out of my lane.

Take a bike ride and notice how as you move along people in cars just...cluster. People in the fast lane going the same speed as everyone else so no one can get around or through...except for me or some other rider bored to tears by people in cars who really don't seem to give two ####s about anyone else or any concept of traffic flow. I've seen LOTS of nice people who will move over for me on a bike who were all too happy blocking cars for miles.

It's just odd behavior and, in my view, any extra focus on bikes is to 'Ferguson' the thing and focus on a tiny example, and a poor one at that, and to generalize the whole traffic issue. We have FAR too bikes on the road in my view. We have way, way too many people driving cars causing death, mayhem, traffic jams and all manner of herd behavior to, in my view, be all up in arms over a couple of ####tards who did, in fact, get busted. People text and talk and fiddle with the radio and look at their fellow passenger and just 'herd up' all the time. I know because I used to do that, too. Until I started riding and learned just how truly oblivious, or simply careless, people in cars are. We resign ourselves to it and then point at the outlier "Look at THOSE bad people!" instead of realizing, let alone dealing with, just how much better traffic flow COULD be. A huge part of that would be MORE bikes on the road and a damn sight MUCH better driving by the car people. :buddies:

vince77

I rode years ago, I wouldn't consider it today. Too many people texting and talking on the phone, it's too dangerous, especially if you have a family to support.

luvmygdaughters

Someone said it gives all riders a bad name. Well, if so, then, if we're gonna generalize, why not generalize against the FAR greater menace, car drivers? I've seen little rice burners with the loud cans for exhaust driving pretty aggressive. I've seen them driven 'normal'. I've seen ALL sorts of cars driven like maniacs. You wanna have fun, go for a bike ride and see how many people, of any and all sorts of cars, who are texting, drifting in and out of lanes, going way too slow at one moment and then having to suddenly slow as they notice they're about to rear end someone. I followed a kid in a jeep the other day on 70 for several miles and just sat in his blind spot and watched him text and text and text on his phone MOUNTED right up on the dash, in clear view. Amazing. Took him several miles to even begin to sense anyone else was nearby as I simply drifting away from him as he drifting in and out of my lane.

Take a bike ride and notice how as you move along people in cars just...cluster. People in the fast lane going the same speed as everyone else so no one can get around or through...except for me or some other rider bored to tears by people in cars who really don't seem to give two ####s about anyone else or any concept of traffic flow. I've seen LOTS of nice people who will move over for me on a bike who were all too happy blocking cars for miles.

It's just odd behavior and, in my view, any extra focus on bikes is to 'Ferguson' the thing and focus on a tiny example, and a poor one at that, and to generalize the whole traffic issue. We have FAR too bikes on the road in my view. We have way, way too many people driving cars causing death, mayhem, traffic jams and all manner of herd behavior to, in my view, be all up in arms over a couple of ####tards who did, in fact, get busted. People text and talk and fiddle with the radio and look at their fellow passenger and just 'herd up' all the time. I know because I used to do that, too. Until I started riding and learned just how truly oblivious, or simply careless, people in cars are. We resign ourselves to it and then point at the outlier "Look at THOSE bad people!" instead of realizing, let alone dealing with, just how much better traffic flow COULD be. A huge part of that would be MORE bikes on the road and a damn sight MUCH better driving by the car people. :buddies:

Car drivers, motorcycle drivers, bicycle drivers, horse and buggy drivers...they all make mistakes. No one is perfect. As you said, the bad ones get all the attention. Although, I don't think it was wise of you to drive in somebody's blind spot all that time. Just asking for problems.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
C Although, I don't think it was wise of you to drive in somebody's blind spot all that time. Just asking for problems.

It was an experiment. If I was wise I would not ride a motorsickle at all. Especially when we note the reflexive against riders in general over specific incidents of the few. :evil:

bilbur

So you disagree with the stigmatizing of riders in general based on individual actions that amount to a hill of small beans vs. car mayhem?

I would think that there may be a higher percentage of reckless motorcycle drivers compared to car or truck drivers. I know a handful of riders and as far as I know they are responsible riders, however, the motorcycle riders I know are current or ex adrenalin junkies and I feel that is close to a normal personality trait for the motorcycle group. It is probably the same for people that drive modified cars/trucks with big engines, I am sure they go outrageous speeds much more often than people who drive Lincoln Town Cars. If I see someone on a motorcycle I don't automatically think "there is a jerk that takes risks at the expense of everyone on the road" but if I see them driving recklessly I am not overly shocked either. So in answer to your question, yes, I see many more car/truck drivers acting like jerks on a daily basis but in general I could go all day without seeing a motorcycle and I can't remember the last time I didn't see at least a handful of cars/trucks on the road.

bilbur

I would also like to point out that very few people have ever looked at a motorcycle or car and said wow, look at the jerk doing the speed limit and waiting patiently in his lane. The ones that stand out are the jerks that go unreasonably fast, pass people on the shoulder, use the turn lanes as their own personal travel lane, zoom in-between vehicles, tailgate, cut people off, etc... When I get home and talk to my family I will say you won't believe what a blue Honda did or an ass on a bright yellow crotch rocket did this, but I can't tell you what the make, model, or color was of the vehicles right next to me doing the right things.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I would think that there may be a higher percentage of reckless motorcycle drivers compared to car or truck drivers. I know a handful of riders and as far as I know they are responsible riders, however, the motorcycle riders I know are current or ex adrenalin junkies and I feel that is close to a normal personality trait for the motorcycle group. It is probably the same for people that drive modified cars/trucks with big engines, I am sure they go outrageous speeds much more often than people who drive Lincoln Town Cars. If I see someone on a motorcycle I don't automatically think "there is a jerk that takes risks at the expense of everyone on the road" but if I see them driving recklessly I am not overly shocked either. So in answer to your question, yes, I see many more car/truck drivers acting like jerks on a daily basis but in general I could go all day without seeing a motorcycle and I can't remember the last time I didn't see at least a handful of cars/trucks on the road.

I don't know about that. I'd think there are more reckless car drivers than bikes. You simply can't be reckless for long on a bike. Cars, anh, who cares? Air bags!

PeoplesElbow

I was riding my bicycle through my neighborhood the other day and someone on a fatboy didn't stop at the sign and almost hit me. Compared to someone on a bicycle a motor cycle is a protective cage.

glhs837

Power with Control
I was riding my bicycle through my neighborhood the other day and someone on a fatboy didn't stop at the sign and almost hit me. Compared to someone on a bicycle a motor cycle is a protective cage.

Ah, no, it means you crash with 400-800lbs of metal next to you......

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
... It is probably the same for people that drive modified cars/trucks with big engines ....

it is much more satisfying, putting the hammer down with 454 Cubic Inches in a 72 Chevelle, than it is with 122 CI in a Saturn :whistle:

H

Hodr

I was watching a medical true tv program (maybe "Save My Life") where they showed GoPro video of a group of EMTs driving recklessly on motorcycles. One of them takes off around a blind corner, maybe doing 70 in a residential zone (so 35-45 speed limit) and runs smack into the back of a truck and snaps his femur.

His buddies catch up and begin tending to him, tearing a shirt into a tournakit, pressure on the wounds, CPR and whatnot. They keep saying things like "thank god we're all EMTs so we know how to save his life".

All I could think of was that this entire group of guys should have known better. They were EMTs and are needlessly endangering their own and more importantly other peoples lives driving like idiots.

They should have all lost their licenses, the guy who crashed deserved to be sued by the truck driver and probably should have gone to jail since they had video evidence of his jack-assery.

I don't ride anymore, but at least I can say that when I did I had an abundance of caution and if anything was more respectful of the rules of the road than most cars (knowing I would lose in the event of an accident).

glhs837

Power with Control
I was watching a medical true tv program (maybe "Save My Life") where they showed GoPro video of a group of EMTs driving recklessly on motorcycles. One of them takes off around a blind corner, maybe doing 70 in a residential zone (so 35-45 speed limit) and runs smack into the back of a truck and snaps his femur.

His buddies catch up and begin tending to him, tearing a shirt into a tournakit, pressure on the wounds, CPR and whatnot. They keep saying things like "thank god we're all EMTs so we know how to save his life".

All I could think of was that this entire group of guys should have known better. They were EMTs and are needlessly endangering their own and more importantly other peoples lives driving like idiots.

They should have all lost their licenses, the guy who crashed deserved to be sued by the truck driver and probably should have gone to jail since they had video evidence of his jack-assery.

I don't ride anymore, but at least I can say that when I did I had an abundance of caution and if anything was more respectful of the rules of the road than most cars (knowing I would lose in the event of an accident).

It's not uncommon to see recklessly driven vehicles around here driven by young men with rescue squad tags and or stickers. I get it, the same sort of looser risk acceptance that allows some to make the choice to knowingly enter harms way to help others carries over to other aspects of that persons life.

PeoplesElbow

It's not uncommon to see recklessly driven vehicles around here driven by young men with rescue squad tags and or stickers. I get it, the same sort of looser risk acceptance that allows some to make the choice to knowingly enter harms way to help others carries over to other aspects of that persons life.

Maybe, but it should keep them from endangering others.

PeoplesElbow

Ah, no, it means you crash with 400-800lbs of metal next to you......

Not exactly, many motorcycles extend past the body of the rider so they could have easily clipped me with part of their motorcycle instead of a body part where only the handlebars of my bicycle extend past my body.

voodoochil3

I see a$$holes like this on 210 all summer long .... 75-90 in a 55 blasting up the road

genetic disposition of the criminals fits from what I have observed as well

I am glad to see some of these scofflaws finally caught

Yup...and popping wheelies in rush hour traffic. ..smh...