Puppies at the Flea Market...

Callie girl

I bought a puppy from someone there last summer and he wasn't amish but he took his time to question us and wrote down all her shots that she was up to date on and other little things about her. Besides being bad she has had no problems

action jackson

Often times the Amish are the puppy millers BEHIND these "uncaring individuals trying to make a quick dollar for personal gain" The Amish have already made the $$ off of their "crop" (which is all dogs are to them).

I used to love the Amish farms in PA, UNTIL I brought a lab puppy into my group that came from an Amish Puppymill, this dog was almost killed due to it's breeding and lack of socialization (and a first dog owning family that had more than they could handle).

I can't enjoy the countryside anymore, wondering which "idyllic" setting is housing 200 dogs....

In the past year or so, I have read several articles from reputable magazines that have proof that the Lancaster, PA area has the largest amount of puppy mills in the USA and are primarily Amish. It is sickening. It is also hard to see the effect it has had on the people that adopt these- not always healthy or socialized- dogs. My Mom lives in the vicinity and I guess the area gets the castoffs that do not get sold. Most people place their trust where they once could rely on it and never question it. But, like everything else, greed takes ahold and morals and lack of conscience take over! SIGH

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
I never would have realized this was a problem, especially if it was just one person selling them at a flea market. I hate to say it but I would probably picked out one thinking "what a good deal" then spent a fortune on it at the vet when it fell ill. Was going to start looking for a german shepard pup soon, guess I'd better add reputable breeder to my list of things to look for.

action jackson

I never would have realized this was a problem, especially if it was just one person selling them at a flea market. I hate to say it but I would probably picked out one thinking "what a good deal" then spent a fortune on it at the vet when it fell ill. Was going to start looking for a german shepard pup soon, guess I'd better add reputable breeder to my list of things to look for.

There is a non profit group called Mid-Atlantic German Shepherd Rescue that a friend of a friend told me about.
I found the info if you are interested MAGSR.ORG - Providing Adoption And Rescue Services For German Shepherd Dogs In Maryland and they are in MD, VA, DC and southern PA. Also #(410) 644-7763

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"
There is a non profit group called Mid-Atlantic German Shepherd Rescue that a friend of a friend told me about.
I found the info if you are interested MAGSR.ORG - Providing Adoption And Rescue Services For German Shepherd Dogs In Maryland and they are in MD, VA, DC and southern PA. Also #(410) 644-7763

You definitely pay more when buying from a reputable breeder, and at that they do not make a living from it, these breeders do ensure that all testing is done for genetic issues and won't breed a dog that displays behavioural issues either.

MAGSR is a good, reputable rescue group.

A lot of rescues do get the pure breds from BYBs or puppy mills, we get plent of mixes, which are awesome dogs and will often have the good traits of both breeds.

Also, rescues DO GET HIGH QUALITY pure breds in, it still amazes me the reasons people surrender their dogs.

Usually "one" person selling on the side of the road can be tracked down to a number of mistreated dogs living and breeding in deplorable conditions.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
You definitely pay more when buying from a reputable breeder, and at that they do not make a living from it, these breeders do ensure that all testing is done for genetic issues and won't breed a dog that displays behavioural issues either.

One should not use price alone when determining whether a breeder is reputable or whether the dog is well bred and free from genetic defects and other illnesses.

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"
One should not use price alone when determining whether a breeder is reputable or whether the dog is well bred and free from genetic defects and other illnesses.

That's a definite as far too many "wannabe" reputable breeders attempt to pass themselves off as reputable, by making all the right "noise" and charging a price that you would automatically think you are getting a quality puppy.

Here are some good links to help you narrow down this jigsaw puzzle:

Reputable GSD breeders do not sell their puppies to the first interested buyer.

4GSD - Breeders

Backyard Breeder vs Reputable Breeder

American Dog Trainers Network -- How To Choose a Reputable Dog Breeder

navigator

At this time, there are new regulations being worked on in St. Mary's County to address the individuals who sell animals along the roadside and at the flea market. This needs to be a COMMUNITY effort. If you have witnessed first hand a sick or abused animal in these situations or have photos/videos of it, please call Animal Control and make a report. The more calls they receive, the better chance they have to push through the needed regulations. You can reach Animal Control in SMC at 301-475-8018.

Toxick

Splat
So by reading this thread, am I right to assume that anyone trying to get rid of a dog or a puppy is now considered to be running a puppymill?

HappyCats

Public shame, letting people be aware of the problem, I hate puppy mills and this lady sucks monkey nuts for making puppy machines out of dogs when we are killing so many everyday because of overpopulation. If she wants to whore something out she should look in her own pants instead.

The have no shame or they wouldn't be doing what they do!

ohstate

Re: puppy mills. How awful!

Rescue Mission Underway for Puppies in Va.

HILLSVILLE, Va. - A rescue operation is underway for more than a thousand puppies living in awful conditions at a puppy mill in Virginia.

Fairfax County is sending its new Major Incident Response Unit to Carroll County where the Red Cross and state emergency personnel will attempt to rescue more than 1,100 puppies.

Michelle Henkins from the Fairfax Animal Services Division says the dogs are mostly small breeds.

"They were kept in what looked like rabbit hutches. They were living on mesh areas and they weren't able to go out."

Henkins expects to handle about 60 dogs and distribute them to several shelters in the region. It could be a few weeks before they are ready for adoption.

For more information on adoption, click here.

Officials say the puppy mill was designed to handle only a few hundred dogs. The owner of the business, who could face criminal charges, is calling it dog-napping.

action jackson

So by reading this thread, am I right to assume that anyone trying to get rid of a dog or a puppy is now considered to be running a puppymill?

Trying to "get rid" of an animal...how about find a new loving home...?

Puppy mills are abundant and the people operating them are only in it for the money. The dogs live in deplorable conditions and I wouldn't expect you to empathize with that. Your other posts suggest you are a very mean, cold and angry person that likes to stir things up with people that actually CARE.
Go find another hobby!