Puppy Fever!!!

TurboK9

I totally agree with you on this. Have you ever watched the surgery? Such a horrible thing to do to a puppy, who did not make the choice to be maimed and doesn't understand the pain and misery. Dew claws are bone...it's the same as removed a limb. Why? It certainly doesn't matter to the animal.

Ever watched a dew claw get ripped off a dog's leg because some idiot thought it would be nicer to leave them on? Ever watch a dog nearly bleed to death as a result? Ever had to pressure bandage and/or suture a dog in the field because some arrogant / ignorant ass thought they knew better than those with actual experience and knowledge and not just all chocky full of warm fuzzy emotional reaction? I doubt it.

Jackasses, yo. I'm not a 'pet' owner. I do far more with my dogs than kick them into the yard to crap every few hours. My dogs have jobs, and as distasteful as you may feel it is, I protect them. Especially from people like you. The worst thing in the world you can do to a working animal is strip them of their purpose in the name of 'animal advocacy'. It breaks their spirit. Dumbasses all.

Take your ignorance and false compassion elsewhere please, like maybe to a nice PETA sponsored pittbull slaughter at Ingrid Newkirk's multi million dollar office. Or at least to another thread.

Jeebus, mention getting a puppy and the lurking nutjobs crawl out of the woodwork, don't they? :roflmao:

:rolleyes:

Artemis

Aha! yes, waiting for the cue....that makes much more sense. Also I know it's in the ring and that the dog is anticipating action just by being in the ring. I was think more along practical lines such as just going for a walk in the park where the dog is not tipped off by the environment or by the handler either. Bad guys can be sneaky.

hehe simple answer: You don't. The dog has already been cued to be on guard, thus the backwards heel. The dog knows the handler is 'leery' of the man following him because of that command, and he knows at this point that his job is to keep the target from making contact with his handler.

Beyond that, dogs know our body language more than we do. They are adept at reading intent based upon posture, facial expression, and movement. It's a good idea to teach the dog to wait for a command unless a quite blatant assault is occurring, but they are very good at knowing what is up before we do. ;-)

Once the weather is a bit warmer (consistently) I'll let you know...

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I guess the same could be said for the feral cats that get fixed and get the tip of their ear cut off. That's done as a physical sign that the cat has already been altered and cannot breed. Of course not every feral cat that's altered has their ear tip missing, but these days it's standard practice to do that.

I totally agree with you on this. Have you ever watched the surgery? Such a horrible thing to do to a puppy, who did not make the choice to be maimed and doesn't understand the pain and misery. Dew claws are bone...it's the same as removed a limb. Why? It certainly doesn't matter to the animal.

TurboK9

Aha! yes, waiting for the cue....that makes much more sense. Also I know it's in the ring and that the dog is anticipating action just by being in the ring. I was think more along practical lines such as just going for a walk in the park where the dog is not tipped off by the environment or by the handler either. Bad guys can be sneaky.

:yay:

Outside the trial field, on the street, it's important to know how to 'read' the dog. They will alert to those sneaky bad guys before you have any clue they are even in the area. Teamwork is paramount. You read the dog to keep you alert and aware, the the dog responds to the judgment you exercise based on the information both the dog and your own senses provide.

Artemis

I once had a PETA rep tell me I needed to set my birds free. She had no idea that parrots are born not knowing how to get food in the wild. It's not instinctual, it's learned. She still insisted that people should not have pets and that setting them free would "set them free", no matter that they died from it or not. They would have died "free". Whatever.....PETA is in a position to do alot of good in the world but the message gets lost in the ignorance. I wish they would spend more time educating people and working with responsible breeders and rescues instead of just blasting everyone across the board. Then they wouldn't get caught so often with their shorts down.....

Take your ignorance and false compassion elsewhere please, like maybe to a nice PETA sponsored pittbull slaughter at Ingrid Newkirk's multi million dollar office.QUOTE]

Roman

dew claws

Ever watched a dew claw get ripped off a dog's leg because some idiot thought it would be nicer to leave them on? Ever watch a dog nearly bleed to death as a result? Ever had to pressure bandage and/or suture a dog in the field because some arrogant / ignorant ass thought they knew better than those with actual experience and knowledge and not just all chocky full of warm fuzzy emotional reaction? I doubt it.

Jackasses, yo. I'm not a 'pet' owner. I do far more with my dogs than kick them into the yard to crap every few hours. My dogs have jobs, and as distasteful as you may feel it is, I protect them. Especially from people like you. The worst thing in the world you can do to a working animal is strip them of their purpose in the name of 'animal advocacy'. It breaks their spirit. Dumbasses all.

Take your ignorance and false compassion elsewhere please, like maybe to a nice PETA sponsored pittbull slaughter at Ingrid Newkirk's multi million dollar office. Or at least to another thread.

Jeebus, mention getting a puppy and the lurking nutjobs crawl out of the woodwork, don't they? :roflmao:

:rolleyes:

I had a small dog who's dew claw got stuck in the weave of a blanket. That was far more cruel than having them taken off at Birth. When they are newly born, the bone of the Dew Claw hasn't hardened yet, it's more like a cartiledge. Cut the front Dews OFF!! Congrats on the new Pup Turbo.

TurboK9

I had a small dog who's dew claw got stuck in the weave of a blanket. That was far more cruel than having them taken off at Birth. When they are newly born, the bone of the Dew Claw hasn't hardened yet, it's more like a cartiledge. Cut the front Dews OFF!! Congrats on the new Pup Turbo.

lilypad said:
Turbo-congrats on the new pup.

:huggy: Thankees!!

Oh and for the record to the anti'crop and dock crowd, just so you all know, there is a HUGE difference between performing these procedures on a pup vs an adult dog. NEVER would I ever have it done to an adult. But a pup? By a licensed, experienced, vet? Sure, you bet. The physiology is different for starters, and the procedures are much easier on the dogs when they are pups.
:shrug:

You don't have to like it, but it's MY dog, so my opinion is the only one that matters. :shrug:

Compa

You don't have to like it, but it's MY dog, so my opinion is the only one that matters. :shrug:

Just like it's your opinion those of us who disagree is our opinion. It is uncalled for to call us idiots, jackasses and dumbasses. Name calling is way out of line. Being in a service related job you should be more professional.

TurboK9

Just like it's your opinion those of us who disagree is our opinion. It is uncalled for to call us idiots, jackasses and dumbasses. Name calling is way out of line. Being in a service related job you should be more professional.

Should I? I get to pick who I provide a service to. I have no need to work with someone who interjects their opinion in an inflammatory manner and then tries to pass it off as if I am the one who is rude. Being a 'professional' does not require being a doormat.

Again, your initial post was inflammatory and if you weren't looking for a 'fight' you should reconsider how you post. I have yet to read any answer to that from you. If you don't know what I am referring to, I suggest you go back and re-read it.

Let me know when you can qualify your opinion with more than emotional reaction and interweb rhetoric and perhaps we can have an intelligent discussion on the issue. :yay:

Last edited:

DeeCee

A horse of course!
Should I? I get to pick who I provide a service to. I have no need to work with someone who interjects their opinion in an inflammatory manner and then tries to pass it off as if I am the one who is rude. Being a 'professional' does not require being a doormat.

Again, your initial post was inflammatory and if you weren't looking for a 'fight' you should reconsider how you post. I have yet to read any answer to that from you. If you don't know what I am referring to, I suggest you go back and re-read it.

Let me know when you can qualify your opinion with more than emotional reaction and interweb rhetoric and perhaps we can have an intelligent discussion on the issue. :yay:
:workingdogtemperament: :lol:

Compa

I'm done with you. Your not worth any more of my time.

TurboK9

I must have missed the part where the person who disagreed w/ docking/dewclaws/tails called Turbo names. :shrug:

Soooo I'm supposed to just sit down and take it when someone implies I am inhumane to my dogs? Because I crop there ears? For a valid reason?

OK whatever. :rolleyes: