Question about Dog aggression

M

Mousebaby

My dog Cody, who is about 4, has started growling at my other dog lately. Also when I was outside working this weekend he started growling at my other dog and I pushed him away and fussed at him and he bared his teeth at me and growled.

I am afraid for the neighborhood kids to be back there with him now because I am not sure what he will do. He has NEVER been mistreated so I don't get this sudden aggression. What can I do? :shrug:

HSCC

GSDlover
Hi,

First make sure they are not arguing over an object (toy, rawhide, dog bowl, etc.).

If this behavior is out of the ordinary and continues I would take Cody to your vet and get a physical and possibly bloodwork to make sure everything is ok. Sometimes underlying health problems can make dogs aggressive.

If everything is normal, I would call a dog trainer immediately.

Thanks, and good luck!

M

Mousebaby

Hi,

First make sure they are not arguing over an object (toy, rawhide, dog bowl, etc.).

If this behavior is out of the ordinary and continues I would take Cody to your vet and get a physical and possibly bloodwork to make sure everything is ok. Sometimes underlying health problems can make dogs aggressive.

If everything is normal, I would call a dog trainer immediately.

Thanks, and good luck!

Nope, there was no toy involved he just had Rex up against the house and was growling at him mean like. Then when he turned on me I got cold chills it scared me so bad. I tried not to let him know I was scared and I fussed at him some more and he backed off. But it still has me concerned about how far he will take it. Thanks for your advice!

frequentflier

happy to be living
My dog Cody, who is about 4, has started growling at my other dog lately. Also when I was outside working this weekend he started growling at my other dog and I pushed him away and fussed at him and he bared his teeth at me and growled.

I am afraid for the neighborhood kids to be back there with him now because I am not sure what he will do. He has NEVER been mistreated so I don't get this sudden aggression. What can I do? :shrug:

Are they both neutered? If not, could there be a bi**h in heat nearby? I would think that would cause some unusual behavior in dogs that normally get along.
I do agree with HSCC about taking him to the vet. We all tend to get a bit snappy when we don't feel well!

M

Mousebaby

Are they both neutered? If not, could there be a bi**h in heat nearby? I would think that would cause some unusual behavior in dogs that normally get along.
I do agree with HSCC about taking him to the vet. We all tend to get a bit snappy when we don't feel well!

Yep both neutered. Cody is young, he is only 3, where Rex is 9, so I'm thinking he is just trying to take his spot in the ranks. Although Cayenne, my female who is 11, is the lead dog. He doesn't seem to even think about challenging her! She is a whopping 15 lbs. where he is 60 lbs., she lets him know who's boss in a hurry! :lmao:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Yep both neutered. Cody is young, he is only 3, where Rex is 9, so I'm thinking he is just trying to take his spot in the ranks. Although Cayenne, my female who is 11, is the lead dog. He doesn't seem to even think about challenging her! She is a whopping 15 lbs. where he is 60 lbs., she lets him know who's boss in a hurry! :lmao:

The smallest dogs usually have the biggest attitudes! I love them all!

Lacie Girl

My BFF is a Pit Bull!

It doesn't surprise me that the female is the leader and that Cody doesn't challenge her. Females tend to hold the Alpha rank in a pack. It is possible that Cody has decided to challenge Rex for his position in the pack. Make sure to reinforce that all 2 legged people hold a higher rank then all 4 legged people and that the 2 leeged people aren't to be challenged.

A vet check is also highly recommended just to make sure there is no underlying issue.

BlackSheep

You know I gotta ask-what breed is Cody?
Have you had him since he was a pup?
I would take him to a vet like others posted-have a talk w/the vet and have Cody checked out.
Until then, I would consider keeping him away from kids.
Keep us posted.

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Nope, there was no toy involved he just had Rex up against the house and was growling at him mean like. Then when he turned on me I got cold chills it scared me so bad. I tried not to let him know I was scared and I fussed at him some more and he backed off. But it still has me concerned about how far he will take it. Thanks for your advice!

Chain him up securely someplace in the yard or in the house where he can't bite any kids. If he keeps acting agressive towards you get rid of him or put a bullet in him. If he is feeling ballsy enough to threaten you it's only a matter of time before he bites someone. I don't love any animal enough to risk an attack on my loved ones, no animal is that important....

Lacie Girl

My BFF is a Pit Bull!
Chain him up securely someplace in the yard or in the house where he can't bite any kids. If he keeps acting agressive towards you get rid of him or put a bullet in him. If he is feeling ballsy enough to threaten you it's only a matter of time before he bites someone. I don't love any animal enough to risk an attack on my loved ones, no animal is that important....

Chaining any dog is the wrong answer. Dogs are pack animals. When you chain them, you are basically saying, "you are no longer welcome in my pack." This can cause him to become more aggressive because he will become more and more frustrated.

See the vet and talk it over with them. I know a guy out in the Waldorf area that deals with strictly aggressive dogs. He doesn't come cheap as he is in a very specialized field but he is very good. PM if you would like his info.

Lacie Girl

My BFF is a Pit Bull!
If you are still concerned about being bitten before you can find a solution, teach him to wear a muzzle. There are many good quality muzzles on the market. I'm not a fan of the nylon muzzles as they tend to rub the top of the nose right below the eyes but they are the easiest to find as you can get them at Walmart. There are some really nice wire basket muzzles at Dog Collar, Dog Harness, Dog Muzzle and Dog Supplies They also have a variety of others. The metal ones are nice because they can take more abuse from the dog and they are made in a variety of sizes and shapes for different breeds. I also recommend getting one with the forehead strap as they are more difficult to pop off because you can attach them to a collar for more security. Handling an aggressive dog is not hard, you just need to be smart about it. Good Luck!

T

toppick08

Call Cesar Millan............:coffee: