Question about Grown Children

rdkarob

vraiblonde said:
I don't understand how it makes you "the bigger person" to not chastise your kid when they're being a jerk. :confused:

It's not like you're expecting some big fancy present - just a simple phone call and acknowledgment. That is not too much to ask for or expect from your children. When my daughter was at college, she forgot my birthday. I called her the next day and said, "Forget something?" "OMG!!!" she shrieked, "I am SOO sorry!!!" She genuinely just got busy and spaced it off, but I had no qualms about reminding her instead of stewing and being hurt by it.

And I also have no problem saying, "Listen, tomorrow is Grannie's birthday so make sure you give her a call." Shoot, my mother calls ME and reminds me it's someone's birthday or whatever.

What is the big deal about doing this?

Guess what....WE DO REMIND HIM! He still forgets! because he is too busy worrying about how he is going to get home to watch TV snuggled with his friend.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
rdkarob said:
Guess what....WE DO REMIND HIM! He still forgets! because he is too busy worrying about how he is going to get home to watch TV snuggled with his friend.

Buy him a calendar for his birthday and fill in all the important dates you want him to remember.

Actually, this year for Christmas my brother sent us a 2007 calendar he had made and every month featured a collection of different family picture from his family. What I liked best about it was, it listed all the important family dates like birthdays, wedding's, anniversaries, graduations, etc were already printed into the calendar for 2007. He still won't get sh!t birthday or holiday wise, however it's a great idea none the less... :yay:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
chernmax said:
Buy him a calendar for his birthday and fill in all the important dates you want him to remember.
My dad's sister does this every year for Christmas. It's always seemed a little strange to me, but it is a good idea.
Actually, this year for Christmas my brother sent us a 2007 calendar he had made and every month featured a collection of different family picture from his family. What I liked best about it was, it listed all the important family dates like birthdays, wedding's, anniversaries, graduations, etc were already printed into the calendar for 2007. He still won't get sh!t birthday or holiday wise, however it's a great idea none the less... :yay:
That's an excellent idea. It's something I might do for my grandma, her birthday is coming up soon.

chernmax said:

My step-children did this for everyone on their mother's side for Christmas presents.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
rdkarob said:
Then simply forget him as well. And if he asks, just say, "What? I did the same for you that you did for me. What's the problem?"

:shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ok...

rdkarob said:
Me and my ex, my wife and her husband are all good friends, got married too young....basically it...had a kid and stayed friends to raise him together instead of apart. All decisions made together, sometimes disagreements but he didn't know about that.

...so you were under same roof dad all the way until he got out of high school, right?

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
rdkarob said:
We tried to do that, I had custody but we were good friends, as explained ina previous post....we don't know what happened. He is a selfish selfish person.....as a matter of fact he just called to tell me that he needs tuition money.....HA! I spent that when he told me he wasn't going to college, now he has decided to take a few classes....I told him sorry, that money is gone, you told me you werent going....He hasn't gone to college since he graduated 3 years ago...you decide to go now??? hmmmmm, college doesnt start until August.....or Summer and registration isnt until May? Something fishy is going on now. however, he can pay for it himself.

Tell him he can get free tuition via the military...the discipline would do him good.

cege

rdkarob said:
Hopefully you guys can give me some insight.

Son lives in Maine moved there with his Mom when he got out of highschool, his Mom now lives in Lusby (husband is military) Son stayed....
Now here is the thing. Son NEVER EVER calls unless he wants something (20 yrs. old) My birthday Dec. 30th, no phone call no card no nothing, Christmas same thing....My daughters birthday last week...no call no card no nothing....he calls to tell me his 21st is in 2 weeks....I have no intention of doing a dang thing for him or is this a 2 wrongs don't make a right.
I am sick of his selfishness....this has been going on for years........I am about done with him and not thinking of his family.....oh...but gets his "friend" all kinds of stuff for Christmas....nothing for his Mom and pop, sister, brother, step parents....sad....

So.....what do you think....by the way, I call him leave messages and he never calls back....

I think it is more of a young guy thing. My brother was like this but now that he is older he calls my parents much more often. I wouldn't take it personally he will hopefully wise up when he matures some.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
The only time my wifes son calls is when he needs something. He's 21.
I don't think he's ever called just to say hi. Thankfully she dosen't give in to him anymore. Unfortunately, his grandmother still does. She leaves the door open no matter what the situation is and it's caused alot of strife with that side of the family. He will not accept any responsibility for his actions, but grandma has that "you have to love and comfort them" mentality. She's the last of the enablers and he plays her like a fiddle that's on fire. Most of the family on both sides have done well for themselves and he just wants to ride everyone's coattails.
His last call to my wife was to ask how much we make in a month, could she pay his phone bill and why didn't he get his Valentines money. After telling him none of his business, no and that he's a big boy now... he cursed her out and said don't ask him for any money when hes rich and famous. She told him nothing would make her or the family happier than if he could pull that off.
He won't be calling again anytime soon.

blitz10

rdkarob said:
Hopefully you guys can give me some insight.

Son lives in Maine moved there with his Mom when he got out of highschool, his Mom now lives in Lusby (husband is military) Son stayed....
Now here is the thing. Son NEVER EVER calls unless he wants something (20 yrs. old) My birthday Dec. 30th, no phone call no card no nothing, Christmas same thing....My daughters birthday last week...no call no card no nothing....he calls to tell me his 21st is in 2 weeks....I have no intention of doing a dang thing for him or is this a 2 wrongs don't make a right.
I am sick of his selfishness....this has been going on for years........I am about done with him and not thinking of his family.....oh...but gets his "friend" all kinds of stuff for Christmas....nothing for his Mom and pop, sister, brother, step parents....sad....

So.....what do you think....by the way, I call him leave messages and he never calls back....
sounds like a job for Nanny 911

mainman

Set Trippin
wharf rat said:
His last call to my wife was to ask how much we make in a month, could she pay his phone bill and why didn't he get his Valentines money. After telling him none of his business, no and that he's a big boy now... he cursed her out and said don't ask him for any money when hes rich and famous. She told him nothing would make her or the family happier than if he could pull that off.
He won't be calling again anytime soon.
What a dick...